Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Does kick chips give a constant voltage?

AVF Regular

Does kick chips give a constant voltage?

Been playing around with mechs with the last few months and my biggest gripe has been the gradually (sometimes rapidly) dropping in intensity of the vape as voltage drops. I find myself throwing 18650s back on the charger at 3/4full.

Looking into kick chips to give a constant voltage even if I get a lower total battery life using a smaller 18500. Am I correct in my assumption of kick chips? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MCYL View Post
    Been playing around with mechs with the last few months and my biggest gripe has been the gradually (sometimes rapidly) dropping in intensity of the vape as voltage drops. I find myself throwing 18650s back on the charger at 3/4full.

Looking into kick chips to give a constant voltage even if I get a lower total battery life using a smaller 18500. Am I correct in my assumption of kick chips? Thanks.

I use kicks in my tube and wood mods to give me a regulated vape. I don't like the VV ones......they seem to have a chatter but the VW ones work well for me.
    I have all three types. Genuine evolves, Sigelei and clone something's. I prefer the Sigelei ones only because they have a solid sprung pin connection to the side of the mod, evolve have a coiled cooper that sometimes bends out of shape.

I only vape between 8-10 watts so I can't give any opinions outside of that range.

Just on a comical note....one of my kicks disrupts my digital radio signal.
    Fatman, btobw, merexy and 1 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Are kicks rated to say 25-30w?

Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Are kicks rated to say 25-30w?

No................ Not the ones I have. 15w Max

They come from an age of higher resistance coils and less voltage.

AVF Regular
    Oh...so an alternative for provari users.

AVF Regular
    Just a different type of vaper. Mech users don't build super sub ohm coils

It was pointed out that you can sub ohm with a mech. I meant to say that kicks were from a different time and mindset.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 28-06-16 at 05:42 PM.
    Wantonnoodles, merexy and addappt like this.

AVF Regular
    Link to evolve page and video

Evolv LLC - Kick Instructions

AVF Regular
    It's a board not a chip
    They go up to 15w and have built in protection
    They were a great idea 4 years ago but unless you only vape 15 w or less they are outdated a bit
    What ohm build are you using to be needing to change out an 18650 at what voltage ?

AVF Regular
    As has been said, a kick is only good if you are MTL vaping less than 15 watts. They are certainly useful if you want a regulated vape.

Apart from that, if the vape is so weak by the time the battery voltage drops below 4V, then your resistance is too high (which leads me to believe that you are indeed running less than 15 watts)

Work it like this. Assuming you get a perfect vape on a fresh battery and your coil is 2 ohms. That would be a vape of around 8.8 watts. Now work out the resistance that will give you the same vape not when the battery is fully charged, but when it's dropped to 3.8 volts. That comes out to 1.65 ohms. That should be your target resistance.

Yes it will be hot on a fresh battery. To get around that you take much shorter vapes, or you pulse the switch a bit to keep control of the temperature. As the battery gets to around it's mid point the vape will be perfect. As it gets flat you just need to take a longer vape as it will take longer for the coil to get up to the correct temperature.

If it's set up right you can vape the way you like it for the full discharge cycle, and in fact you have to be careful not to discharge the battery too much. A couple of times I went too far with mine without realising it.

It sounds cumbersome, but it's actually very easy and very satisfying to vape this way. You become the chip, the control mechanism, and the safety circuit. You hardly even need to think about it once you have the rhythm down, and in fact it feels wrong when you switch back to a regulated rig. A mech was my pocket piece for work for about a year, and after a while I didn't even bother changing back to the VW mod when I got home.
    Fatman, merexy and MCYL like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    my biggest gripe has been the gradually (sometimes rapidly) dropping in intensity of the vape as voltage drops.
    that one sentence summed up mechs to a tee.

For the new vaper generation with subohm being king, regulated is the way to go.
    Mech these days are for the old folks that vape low watts and cloud comp competitions were you only need a few good puffs to win.

Don't get me wrong i still love my mech for what some call "insanity" coil building, but the istick will always be my daily driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast