AVF Regular

upgrade from a joyetech all in one vape pen

Hi,

From my discussions in the e liquid forum in my search for a better flavour I have been recommended to use an RDA. Luckily I have an el diablo hellboy from my earlier failed attempt at a home made mechanical mod but would also like an RTA. Could somebody please shed some light on what kind of mod you would recommend to me and why?

I would like to by some decent pre made coils to start with to make the transition easier and so I don't get overwhelmed with trying to dial in all the technical aspects as well as getting my pg/vg nic ratios and flavours to a point that I am happy with.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by martybaker View Post
    Hi,

From my discussions in the e liquid forum in my search for a better flavour I have been recommended to use an RDA. Luckily I have an el diablo hellboy from my earlier failed attempt at a home made mechanical mod but would also like an RTA. Could somebody please shed some light on what kind of mod you would recommend to me and why?

I would like to by some decent pre made coils to start with to make the transition easier and so I don't get overwhelmed with trying to dial in all the technical aspects as well as getting my pg/vg nic ratios and flavours to a point that I am happy with.
    You could try the Kanger Subtank or the Toptank. They are an all rounder that suit a variety of vape styles and can use coil heads or you can build on the included RBA section. You can buy prebuilt coils as well and just insert them in the RBA. They usually come with a couple of pre-made coils and a small amount of wicking material.

These tanks have a much looser airflow than the AIO, so it depends on what you want and need. If you like a much tighter airflow others may be able to suggest some alternative tanks.

The Subtank and Toptank are available in complete kits as well, the Subox and the Topbox respectively.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Hiya! What coils are you using in the AIO? 0.6 or 0.5 ohm, or something else?

There are only a handful of RTAs that give you the option of buying premade coil heads or using an RBA section. These include the Kanger Subtank or Toptank (the regular size or the mini only - the Nano isn't compatible with the RBA head), the Joyetech Cubis (which is the big brother of the tank in your AIO and uses the same coils), the Crown tank or TVF4 tanks (which are for big clouds/subohming), and some of the older tanks like the Aspire Triton/Silo Beast that have an optional RBA head or the Ego One tanks and co. that take the CLR rebuildable heads.

I think the Subtank/Toptank mini would be a good starting point/all rounder, as would the Cubis tank. If you want lots of airflow and clouds then the Crown tank gets lots of love.

But if you're specifically after flavour and don't want to do huge lung hits I think there are better tanks out there, but they don't give you the option of prebuilt coils.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Hiya! What coils are you using in the AIO? 0.6 or 0.5 ohm, or something else?

There are only a handful of RTAs that give you the option of buying premade coil heads or using an RBA section. These include the Kanger Subtank or Toptank (the regular size or the mini only - the Nano isn't compatible with the RBA head), the Joyetech Cubis (which is the big brother of the tank in your AIO and uses the same coils), the Crown tank or TVF4 tanks (which are for big clouds/subohming), and some of the older tanks like the Aspire Triton/Silo Beast that have an optional RBA head or the Ego One tanks and co. that take the CLR rebuildable heads.

I think the Subtank/Toptank mini would be a good starting point/all rounder, as would the Cubis tank. If you want lots of airflow and clouds then the Crown tank gets lots of love.

But if you're specifically after flavour and don't want to do huge lung hits I think there are better tanks out there, but they don't give you the option of prebuilt coils.
    I have the o.6 coils and I'm not sure whether I want a throat hit or flavour due to my limited experience. I have been using 50/50 pg/vg juice from HIiLIQ and it is gargling and spitting which is not delivering what is probably the best potential of my mod, now I am waiting for some 75% pg 25% vg juice from Hi LIQ and a DIY kit and I'll see how it goes from there.

AVF Regular
    I have the o.6 coils and I'm not sure whether I want a throat hit or flavour due to my limited experience. I have been using 50/50 pg/vg juice from HIiLIQ and it is gargling and spitting which is not delivering what is probably the best potential of my mod, now I am waiting for some 75% pg 25% vg juice from Hi LIQ and a DIY kit and I'll see how it goes from there.
    Thinner juice (more PG) will not stop it gurgling and flooding. It might make it worse. Is this on your AIO?

Have you orders one of the Kanger RTAs or something else?

If you are getting gurgling and flooding on the AIO the most likely reason is that you are sucking too hard. This drags excess liquid into the atomiser, kind of turning it into a juice straw. A more open airflow such as with the Subtank mini would probably stop this happening.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Thinner juice (more PG) will not stop it gurgling and flooding. It might make it worse. Is this on your AIO?

Have you orders one of the Kanger RTAs or something else?

If you are getting gurgling and flooding on the AIO the most likely reason is that you are sucking too hard. This drags excess liquid into the atomiser, kind of turning it into a juice straw. A more open airflow such as with the Subtank mini would probably stop this happening.
    Okay, well that's not what the guy at the vape shop said, what ratio would you suggest because I will mix my own when the juice arrives. I'll stick with it for a while and get a decent dual battery mod next.

AVF Regular
    Okay, well that's not what the guy at the vape shop said, what ratio would you suggest because I will mix my own when the juice arrives. I'll stick with it for a while and get a decent dual battery mod next.
    Well more VG makes a thicker juice. You can go as high as you want to with the VG, whatever suits. Some people vape maximum VG, meaning they don't add any extra PG that they don't have to - but normally because they don't tolerate PG well. It will also make more vapour, while muting the flavour and throat hit. Try some different ratios and see what works for you.

I have to say it's not normally necessary to mix high VG to stop gurgling and flooding though - the real problem will lie elsewhere.