Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Warning do not use this wick!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Warning do not use this wick!

Apparently, there are several vendors that are offering this new "black magic" black cotton wick.
    I have just seen it appear on FT & am providing the link & pics for informational purposes, so vapers here know what to avoid: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1/...r-rba-atomizer
    DO NOT USE IT IT IS A HEALTH HAZARD!

The problem is that this cotton contains activated carbon, which when inhaled can cause bronchitis, pneumonia & lung disease or be fatal!

Here is a link to a case study of someone who developed "popcorn lung" after inhaling activated charcoal, as used in this cotton: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2766830
    Abstract
    Activated charcoal usually provides effective and safe treatment for drug overdose. We describe a patient who developed bronchiolitis obliterans and respiratory failure following aspiration of activated charcoal. This patient had a markedly reduced vital capacity with roentgenographic evidence of airtrapping. Chest roentgenograms did not demonstrate the large amount of charcoal identified at postmortem examination.
    More links:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3139147 Fatality by inhalation of activated carbon.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10195487 Pneumonia from inhalation of activated carbon.

Please do not use this wick, for your own safety, we have enough variety & sources of safer wicking materials to use, this gimmicky wick needs to be boycotted.
    giruvian, CMB, Fatman and 5 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    I understand the need to post this warning but I have been following the discussion about this wick on a number of forums and it appears that people are not really sure what this wick is. That is in itself an issue. This could be dangerous or it could be vaping a coloured wick. We saw similar postings about rayon and ceramic coils.

Like everything in vaping......do your own research......if you don't feel comfortable with the product then don't use.

The Fasttech discussions

https://www.fasttech.com/products/30...r-rba-atomizer
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I believe this material is cotton fibre impregnated with activated charcoal. It will wick the same as cotton and I'm not sure what the benefits are supposed to be.

Activated charcoal is used in gas filters to remove organic solvents from breathing air, however in these applications it is always followed by a P2 particulate filter to prevent inhalation of carbon particles off the compressed carbon matrix.
    Noe, Robray, Fatman and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    We use it to remove Mercury from methane. But yes, with a post filter for any particulates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatman and fabricator4 like this.

AVF Regular
    Eh, I still wouldn't vape it even if it were just a coloured wick. There's no telling what the colour will do or what it will break down to when heated, or if it will react with the juice / flavourings in a bad way, or both.

I get gimmicky. I dig some silliness in my vape from time to time. But this... ehh... no. There's a big difference between fun penguin drip tips, splatter paint finishes, impractical glass chambered tanks, and things like this that could actually have health ramifications.

This stuff just screams "bad idea".
    Noe, giruvian, Fatman and 3 others like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    To be fair, and playing devil's advocate here: The cases of death and disease normally cited in these cases are drug overdose patients who have been given activated charcoal through a gastric tube (because they are unconscious). Vomiting while unconscious can result in inhaling large amounts of the medicoal. Medicoal also contains povidone, presumably to prevent infection in compromised tissues and it has been implicated as a possible cause of pneumonia in these patients, causing other complications and death.

It's a bit of a beat-up really; using extreme cases to "prove" the validity of an unrelated theory.

Regardless, I still think that carbon impregnated wicks are a really bad idea.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 23-07-16 at 09:32 AM.
    Fatman and JaymzPhoenix like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    It's more of a "why the hell would you do that?" situation imo. How the hell are you supposed to see when your wick is dirty if it starts out black?
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    IMO, the links in my above post show, there is sufficient evidence to suggest this is not something we should be using.
    Even if the chance is low of the wick causing any of the respiratory problems associated with activated carbon, due to the wick being wet in regular use, what happens when you get a dry hit on this stuff, what happens when the activated carbon hitches a ride on a VG molecule?

It's not worth the risk IMO & the last thing we need in Australia is someone dying or getting hospitalised due to vaping with unsafe products.
    That would just give the health authorities all the ammunition they need to turn around & say "We told you so, vaping is unsafe."

Besides all of that, we switched from silica wick to cotton because; A. it was safer & B. it wicks better. So this product improves on that how?
    The answer is it doesn't, it is A. potentially more harmful than silica & B. will not wick as well as clean organic cotton because it is already infused by particulate matter, which will slow the wicking, not improve it.
    So there is no beneft to using this as wick IMO & a high risk of potential harm from using it, it is just a bad idea.
    merexy, Northerner, Tara and 1 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Has Rip Trippers been paid to spruke about this amazing black wick shit yet? If not yet it's gotta be on the cards
    CMB, stylemessiah and Chrisso_88 like this.
    Provari V2 - CF Sub-Ohm Battery - Eleaf iPower 80w - ECT X.FIR II - Aspire Nautilus - Aspire Atlantis - iClear 30 - Eleaf Lemo 2 - Alien RDA

Super Moderator
    My opinion is basically I went to vaping to give up smoking, and to stop inhaling stuff I had no say over, that would/could damage my health further ( as smoking does)

Why on earth would you go out of your way to purchase a product that INCREASES the chances of that ?

I am not sure about the use of non-egregious studies to back up the danger aspect . Its kinda like saying if you inhale water you will drown therefore don't take showers because they have steam and steam is water .

Both articles quoted reference the inhalation of stomach contents being inhaled after regurgitation following treatment for drug overdoses. In the first case the patient was given a gastric lavage containing 50 grams of activated charcoal which was vomited 12 hours later and inhaled , so as to how much activated charcoal was inhaled you cant really say. The pathologist noted the presence of inflammation of the alveoli and crystalline material in them so no doubt the Charcoal was aggravating things , but inhaling vomit is not good for you charcoal or no .

That said I still wouldn't personally touch this product with a barge-pole .. and consider it to be yet another "Vaping Fad " rather than a worthwhile innovation... and its things like this that make it dangerous for vaping in general ... because if vapers question its suitability and quote medical articles to back themselves up , then imagine what the Anti's can do with the same information!

As always Caveat Emptor and make your own decisions on what you do to yourself... IMO totally unnecessary, likely to increase harm than decrease or at best provide status quo ( but doubtful) ....

Ask yourself ..."Are we Vaping to be trendy or to minimise particulate inhalation and improve our situation? "
    Noe, chris1972, merexy and 1 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast