Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Why?

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Why?

Back in the dark day when vaping was in its infancy, mods just worked. You put the juice in, hit the button and had your orgasm. Why is the industry going the way of the smart phone? I wear a watch, I don't need my mod to take over that. Why are they made firmware up gradable? Nothing has changed in the hardware you are holding, so why is it suddenly possible to get an extra 20% output by connecting to your computer. You need to get a life, if you need your mod to play games? The only thing I want the USB port for is to charge the unit. I realise that I could always go over to mechanical mods, but I do prefer regulated for various reasons. Its getting to the point where you are expected to have a degree in computer science to get your recreational nicotine hit.
    giruvian, gtadmin, Stomp and 4 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Are there not more purple mods.
    Robray, giruvian and merexy like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Are there not more purple mods.

And that's another thing-------
    Crisscross, merexy and Tpe like this.

Tpe
    AVF Regular
    I guess its just the way of things. As in constantly evolving. I agree with you entirely and while i have a few "advanced chip" mods they are always in power mode and rest of the features are ignored.😊

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Robray and Crisscross like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpe View Post
    I guess its just the way of things. As in constantly evolving. I agree with you entirely and while i have a few "advanced chip" mods they are always in power mode and rest of the features are ignored.��

The point I am trying to make is you buy a mod and it will handle 80 watts. Three months down the track, they offer a firmware update that magically boosts the potential output to 100 watts. Why was the unit not good for 100 from the outset? They can suddenly be upgraded to handle stainless? Who are they kidding or aiming this nonsense at.Iphone generation I wager!!!
    gtadmin, Stomp and Tpe like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    The point I am trying to make is you buy a mod and it will handle 80 watts. Three months down the track, they offer a firmware update that magically boosts the potential output to 100 watts. Why was the unit not good for 100 from the outset? They can suddenly be upgraded to handle stainless? Who are they kidding or aiming this nonsense at.Iphone generation I wager!!!
    Isn't adding bells and whistles with no fundamental change a marketing way of justifying increased pricing.
    Robray, merexy and Tpe like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    The whole industry just screams Wank Factor...not a very constructive comment but it feels that way
    merexy and Tpe like this.

Tpe
    AVF Regular
    Yep, i get you. I suppose firmware updates are better than being told you need to buy another mod if you want 100 watts instead of 80. Also i guess they are meeting consumer demand. All the reviewers out there with their lists of pros and cons must carry some wait aswell. I.e it is always a con if the device is not firmware upgradable. I don't give a toss, i want to vape not program. I get more enjoyment talking to you all than adjusting tcr values.

Robray and Stomp like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Back in the dark day when vaping was in its infancy, mods just worked. You put the juice in, hit the button and had your orgasm. Why is the industry going the way of the smart phone? I wear a watch, I don't need my mod to take over that. Why are they made firmware up gradable? Nothing has changed in the hardware you are holding, so why is it suddenly possible to get an extra 20% output by connecting to your computer. You need to get a life, if you need your mod to play games? The only thing I want the USB port for is to charge the unit. I realise that I could always go over to mechanical mods, but I do prefer regulated for various reasons. Its getting to the point where you are expected to have a degree in computer science to get your recreational nicotine hit.
    You don't have to upgrade the mods, you can continue to use it with the firmware it came with.

As far a why you would want to do this, well yes some of the power upgrades are there. The reason it works is that they were previously limited in the firmware. Is it a good idea? well I don't really think so. In the case of the single 18650 battery mods, it's kind of pushing the envelop to expect them to do 75 watts or even more - they'll do that with a fresh battery, but only for a short time.

Where it really comes into it's own though is in the area of temperature control. The manufacturer can tweak the programme to improve the accuracy, change how it maintains heat when the set temperature is reached, and even fix glaring errors in the menus, or improve the usability. It's not all bad.

Yes putting games on there is pretty silly - it's just novelty value for some people.

There's also a range of smart mods which is taking it to whole different level. These talk via bluetooth to a programme on your phone or tablet, where you can get vaping stats and control your mod. To be honest they haven't really taken off and I don't think they really appeal to most serious vapers and I think they are too expensive to attract new vapers and people who just want to try it to get off cigarettes. At the end of the day people will vote with their wallets, and manufacturers will make what people want to buy.

Some things that have come to vaping that improves your experience even if you are not interested in temperature control is much greater accuracy and much better output envelope. You've now got 0.01 ohm accuracy, controllability down to 0.1 watts increments, and flat outputs. I remember when the only regulated mod that output a flat signal was a $300 Provari, everything was limited to 15 watts max if you were lucky, and the only way a manufacturer could improve a product was to redesign it and sell you a new one.

Mechanicals have always been and always will be an option, and a very good one no matter what technology comes along.
    Robray, giruvian, merexy and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Isn't adding bells and whistles with no fundamental change a marketing way of justifying increased pricing.

Dunno. Don,t have an IPhone, or a degree in computer science. Marketing is an Apple thing. Not sure if they come up with firmware upgrades, but they certainly come up with a new model at regular intervals, now thats marketing when you can sucker punch a whole generation!!
    Crisscross, Stomp and Tpe like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast