• 1 Post By rodbam
  • 1 Post By ndorling
  • 3 Post By ndorling
  • 1 Post By merexy

Thread: Tesla Shadow Tank Constantly Leaking

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Tesla Shadow Tank Constantly Leaking

Hey guys,

So I have recently bought the Tesla Stealth and I love it but I have a problem with the tank constantly leaking. It has adjustable airflow at the bottom which is where it is leaking. The first time I noticed it, I cleaned it and wiped out all juice that was welling up at the bottom and out the airflow. The second time it leaked I completely pulled apart the tank and coil and wiped up all excess juice including the overflow part at the bottom, also dabbed the coil itself to make sure it wasn't flooded. At first I thought it was because it wasn't always upright so I made sure that it was always upright this time and this fixed it for a while. But then today I looked at it and it was leaking again! As I was cleaning it an entire drop of eliquid dropped out on me and I am at a loss at what else I can do to fix this. It is really frustrating knowing my liquid is being wasted constantly because I can't work out what is going wrong.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Nicole

AVF Regular
    If the liquid is coming out of the airholes it means that liquid is flowing into the coil head through the juice ports, which on this are huge.

There's several reasons why it could be happening.

* Juice is too thin: It strikes me that it was intended for a high VG liquid, at least 50%.

* The tank is getting pressurised, forcing juice into the coil. This happens with a lot of top fill designs. As you screw on the top cap after filling it pressurises the small air pocket at the top, slowly forcing juice into the coil at the bottom. Usually if you just fit the to cap so the o-rings seal and then invert the tank while you tighten it make the problem go away, or become less of an issue. Others have suggested not tightening the cap down all the way at first.

* If you have the airflow too tight and are sucking too hard it can create low pressure in the coil head, sucking excess juice into the coil

* You have a faulty head. Sometimes the cotton wick material is not sitting right, allowing liquid to flow through too quickly.

If you do get flooding like this you will usually also find that it will start to gurgle when you draw on it. To clear the gurgle put a tissue over the mouthpiece and flick it a few times inverted to eject the excess liquid. If you get flooding but no gurgling then the liquid maybe flowing through where the coil screws into the base - check the o-ring and threads there.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 02-08-16 at 11:44 AM.
    merexy and rodbam like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I had a Google & can't find any leaking problems with this tank. All I can think of is make sure the coil has the O ring in place where it seals into the base & make sure it's nice & tight. The only other thing could be that this seems like a sub ohm tank built for direct lung inhales to produce a lot of vapour with lots of air from a wide open airflow but if you only take more gentle moderate puffs with the airhole closed down for a tighter draw then the juice can build up around the coil & start leaking out the airhole,
    Robray and fabricator4 like this.

Hey guys thanks for the tips, I'll try the flicking and see if that helps. I have checked the seals (my partner also checked at the same time to make sure) and we both found that they seemed tight fitting. The kit came with another coil so I might try that one and see if maybe the originally fitted coil maybe just wasnt inserted tightly enough.

I started it on 50/50 PG/VG and currently have a modified juice with about 67/33 PG/VG in it. Has leaked with both though so I'm thinking its not because of the juice.

I have looked online and only found one mention of leaking here: Teslacigs Stealth Kit Review - Vape Bus Electronic Cigarette
    In that review, the reveiwer said after 2 hours of sitting upright it started leaking.

''To test the reliability of the anti-leaking structure, I opened the top cap and base air flow hole before filling liquid, and left it standing until I found that the liquid has filled the anti-leaking bowl and flowed out from the base two hours later. It demonstrates that the anti-leaking structure is truly effective within a certain period of time even when the tank is fully opened.''

This makes me think that it's anti-leaking structure doesn't actually work at all, or at least only until the overflow bowl is full at which time it will just leak straight through the airflow holes.

I will let you know if the other coil helps the problem and I'll do another clean before I fit that one.

Thanks again

AVF Regular
    Good luck with it Nicole.
    ndorling likes this.

AVF Regular
    I was just going to suggest maybe not enough wick....?

Hi merexy, I generally leave it at least 5-10minutes before I vape on any new juice I've put in. Maybe I need to put less juice in and do more frequent fillups so it doesn't have time to leak lol but thats a pain if I'm going out cause I will need to take my juice with me and stop to fill up all the time.
    merexy likes this.

AVF Regular
    You may have to hunt up a different tank Nicole.

Yeah, I have just realised how much of a noob I am. My partner just asked if I have been closing the airflow intake when I am filling and wicking until I am ready to vape on it. This is probably the source of my problem as I have just been leaving it half open which is where I usually vape it at.

Also have another mod on the way with a tank that should fit the Tesla so fingers crossed everything will work out.

Thank you everyone for being so quick to help me out and giving me so many helpful suggestions. Great community here
    Robray, fabricator4 and merexy like this.

AVF Regular
    Grab a tissue or paper hand towel, open up the air holes, tip upside down and blow though it with the tissue to grab the excess.

That should clear the excess and reset the vacuum and stop the leak. Your partner is on the money. Good luck!
    ndorling likes this.