Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By TrentQLD
  • 1 Post By TrentQLD

Thread: Can I use a 5V 700mA wall charger for my iTaste VV4 (recommended 5V 500mA)

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Can I use a 5V 700mA wall charger for my iTaste VV4 (recommended 5V 500mA)

I've done what I think is a thorough internet search and I can't find any real info.
    I really would prefer to use the correct amp rating (500 mA), but for the time being, I have a 5V 400mA wall charger and a 5V 700mA wall charger.
    After trying both, the iTaste became kinda warm from the 400 mA, but it kept only slightly warm from using the 700 mA charger.

Any kind help would be appreciated. I want to try and prevent explosions/fire etc.
    Current PV: iTaste VV4 and Aspire K1

Super Moderator
    Either or should be ok , but common sense tells me to go for the less warm option
    If the iTaste has a inbuilt charge board , running the lower mA one could be inefficient as its trying to pull more A than is available ... and 700 isn't that far over 500 to cause a drama if it doesn't have an onboard board.

It is not uncommon for cheap chargers to be "off spec" in regard to both output and volts ... I would go the 700 and keep an eye on things and see if it successfully terminates charge when done ( it should)
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentQLD View Post
    I've done what I think is a thorough internet search and I can't find any real info.
    I really would prefer to use the correct amp rating (500 mA), but for the time being, I have a 5V 400mA wall charger and a 5V 700mA wall charger.
    After trying both, the iTaste became kinda warm from the 400 mA, but it kept only slightly warm from using the 700 mA charger.

Any kind help would be appreciated. I want to try and prevent explosions/fire etc.

Yes, more is better. The charger (power supply) will try to regulate 5V, the device (load) will try to draw amps. It's only a problem if the load is drawing more amps than the power supply is designed for.

If you try to draw 500mA from a supply rated for 400mA then the voltage will drop and/or the supply will run hot and possibly fail.
    Fatman likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    It is not uncommon for cheap chargers to be "off spec" in regard to both output and volts ... I would go the 700 and keep an eye on things and see if it successfully terminates charge when done ( it should)
    Innokin user manual says 1.5 hours and i also read somewhere that it's more likely 2 hours to charge. As of yet it hasn't done a full charge because the LED light has not switched off. I'll give that a try now and see if it does terminate the charge when complete.
    Fatman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yes, more is better. The charger (power supply) will try to regulate 5V, the device (load) will try to draw amps. It's only a problem if the load is drawing more amps than the power supply is designed for.

If you try to draw 500mA from a supply rated for 400mA then the voltage will drop and/or the supply will run hot and possible fail.
    That's exactly what I thought, from reading stuff on the net. But also read some conflicting views, people suggesting to use a less than needed amp supply (basically saying to use the 400mA)

Thanks for the input Starting to like this forum
    Fatman likes this.