Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Different types of tanks.

AVF Regular

Different types of tanks.

Hi Guys,

Can someone explain to me the difference between specific tanks.
    Yes, i do understand the concept of marketing and yes, even though product A and product B does exactly the same job, one can cost significantly more than the other due to marketing factors or even production costs.
    What i'm getting at here is, why the hell are there tanks that costs upwards of 200 dollars, that imo does exactly the same job a 40 dollar tank.
    I'm not trying to be an ignorant prick here, but i cant see the significant performance upgrade of a 200 dollar tank vs a 40 dollar tank.
    Currently, i own the Smok TFV4, Subtank, Serpent Mini, Avo 24, wismec theorem and a few other "cheaper" tanks.
    I've seen people talk about the Kayfun and Rose as if they are heralded god-like tanks that knocks flavour out of the park (i havent had the luxury to try one).
    Is there actually that much of a difference as compared to those cheaper tanks that i'm using?
    The only reason im asking is because the Rose V3 is currently being stocked, and i'm keen of "rewarding" myself with something new.
    But spending 5 times more than a regular "cheaper" tank.... that i'm questioning. Am i getting 5 times more flavour?
    LOL!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Hi Guys,

Can someone explain to me the difference between specific tanks.
    Yes, i do understand the concept of marketing and yes, even though product A and product B does exactly the same job, one can cost significantly more than the other due to marketing factors or even production costs.
    What i'm getting at here is, why the hell are there tanks that costs upwards of 200 dollars, that imo does exactly the same job a 40 dollar tank.
    I'm not trying to be an ignorant prick here, but i cant see the significant performance upgrade of a 200 dollar tank vs a 40 dollar tank.
    Currently, i own the Smok TFV4, Subtank, Serpent Mini, Avo 24, wismec theorem and a few other "cheaper" tanks.
    I've seen people talk about the Kayfun and Rose as if they are heralded god-like tanks that knocks flavour out of the park (i havent had the luxury to try one).
    Is there actually that much of a difference as compared to those cheaper tanks that i'm using?
    The only reason im asking is because the Rose V3 is currently being stocked, and i'm keen of "rewarding" myself with something new.
    But spending 5 times more than a regular "cheaper" tank.... that i'm questioning. Am i getting 5 times more flavour?
    LOL!
    Basically, it's finish quality and attention to detail. Cheap tanks are made on CNC machines that spit out literally dozens or even hundreds per hour. The quality depends on the capabilities of the machinery as well as the programmers and operators.

Most expensive stuff these days is probably also turned and milled on on CNC equipment, but the finished parts are usually hand finished, all the sharp edges removed and smoothed out, and it may be polished, and will almost certainly be carefully hand assembled, tested, and adjusted if necessary. It's highly unlikely that you will get a bad one because of this hands-on work, and the attention to detail is superb.

CNC machines are fully automatic in operation once the program is written, but a good operator will carefully monitor things like tool sharpness, cleanliness, and will optimise speeds and feeds to variations in material stock and the state of the tooling. Cheap workshops will employ trained monkeys to feed materials into the automatic machinery, and all of the care factor will go out the window.

Couple all of this together, and the end result of the $200 RTA (Kayfund 5?) is something that is a joy to use and will give that satisfaction for many, many years.

It's a bit like the difference between buying a Ferrari and a Toyota/Hyundai etc.

So, it's possible to get Ferrari quality for a $200 price tag instead of three quarters of a million dollars. Sounds attractive?

It does, but I drive a Mazda and vape a reasonable quality original manufacturer mass produced devices. I sit in the middle somewhere - Just good enough without costing an arm and a leg. I can pay the rent but still have a good experience. It's up to anyone to decide where they fit in - there's no wrong way or right way, just the way that works for you.

Edit: and to add to this, paying $200 for an RTA does not guarantee that you get a better vape. Ferrari occasionally come out with a WTF model, Lotus make a $60K motorcar that will piss all over it over short distances and in mileage, and a Honda civic is probably preferable to both of them when driving around the CBD. Horses for courses, as they say.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 08-08-16 at 09:16 PM.
    Dhufish, Chrisso_88 and maxsmd like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    It does, but I drive a Mazda and vape a reasonable quality original manufacturer mass produced devices. I sit in the middle somewhere - Just good enough without costing an arm and a leg. I can pay the rent but still have a good experience. It's up to anyone to decide where they fit in - there's no wrong way or right way, just the way that works for you.
    Thank you for your input Fab.
    Build quality i can understand. But i personally feel that the quality of the more popular tanks (e.g. Serpent mini/ AVO24) are good enough quality. Or at least to my untrained eye.
    Is the Kayfuns and Rose that much better built? Or is the price tag due to the exclusivity, attention to detail and the reduction of machinery in the production line?
    Is the flavour that much more intense and enjoyable as well?

AVF Regular
    This rears its head on a regular basis, I have a mix of mass produced tanks and then high end tanks and mods. The mass produced is what I use for quantity, the high end tanks and mods I consider quality.

The value is in what you believe to be the price you feel comfortable paying for Vape gear. Everyone will have a different experience and if you look around the threads you will see people either love or hate gear. The true test is what is still in your hand 2years later. If you have vaped it for 2 years....what ever you paid....it is worth every cent. My billet boxes and provari's are still vaped everyday 3 years on. My high end tanks come in and out of rotation with my nautilus and cerotanks.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 08-08-16 at 09:35 PM.
    fabricator4, btobw, merexy and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Thank you for your input Fab.
    Build quality i can understand. But i personally feel that the quality of the more popular tanks (e.g. Serpent mini/ AVO24) are good enough quality. Or at least to my untrained eye.
    Is the Kayfuns and Rose that much better built? Or is the price tag due to the exclusivity, attention to detail and the reduction of machinery in the production line?
    Is the flavour that much more intense and enjoyable as well?
    No, like I said price isn't really an indication of vape quality. I can say that the people intending to put out a high end device mostly do their utmost to make it the best design that they can but vapers are all individuals. Some people could spend $200 and still hate the way if vapes. Unlikely I'll admit.

It still pays to do your homework and look at reviews done by people who vape like you do, then make your own mind up. The really good thing about high end stuff is that it holds it's value, and there's always a market for it if you decide it's just not for you.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    This rears its head on a regular basis, I have a mix of mass produced tanks and then high end tanks and mods. The mass produced is what I use for quantity, the high end tanks and mods I consider quality.

The value is in what you believe to be the price you feel comfortable paying for Vape gear. Everyone will have a different experience and if you look around the threads you will see people either love or hate gear. The true test is what is still in your hand 2years later. If you have vaped it for 2 years....what ever you paid....it is worth every cent. My billet boxes and provari's are still vapes everyday 3 years on. My high end tanks come in and out of rotation with my nautilus and cerotanks.
    Thanks XX! I must admit, i can see myself spending more on high end mods, but not tanks. Maybe i'm just a cheapo. HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    No, like I said price isn't really an indication of vape quality. I can say that the people intending to put out a high end device mostly do their utmost to make it the best design that they can but vapers are all individuals. Some people could spend $200 and still hate the way if vapes. Unlikely I'll admit.

It still pays to do your homework and look at reviews done by people who vape like you do, then make your own mind up. The really good thing about high end stuff is that it holds it's value, and there's always a market for it if you decide it's just not for you.
    Yes, think i'll take a plunge with some high end tanks and see if i like them enough. Cheers fab!

AVF Regular
    Imagine if you could keep your currency artificially low and make products produced there seem more attractive to buy and then pay peanuts to the employers.

Just imagine lel.
    maxsmd likes this.

AVF Regular
    At the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choices but nothing so far beats this for me......

Crisscross, btobw and sc_rufctr like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhufish View Post
    Imagine if you could keep your currency artificially low and make products produced there seem more attractive to buy and then pay peanuts to the employers.
    But then you'd have to make trade unions illegal, control all the workers to the point of brain washing, and threaten those that can't be brain washed with being sent back to the farms... Oh, wait...
    Chrisso_88 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I prefer more expensive gear. I've been through a lot of gear but now I find I use the same thing almost all day every day and have done for more than a year. That tank happens to cost $200, but that's irrelevant considering it will last indefinitely. It's high quality stainless. That tank is on a $40 mod. I don't think a $400 one would be any different.

I thought about buying a Rose 3 today also. But the reality is I'm a MTL vaper and wouldn't like it anyway. Such a shame the whole scene is moving towards juice guzzling cloud chuckers.
    Gresh11 and merexy like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast