Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Easy Single Coil RTA?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Easy Single Coil RTA?

Hey Everyone,

I've been vaping for quite a while now and I'm only just getting into building.

So far my only experience is using a the Subtank Mini RBA deck and prewound kangertech coils, so I'm still very new to this. I'm now looking at upgrading to higher quality RTA to start getting into it more.

So far from the research I've done it would seem like the AugVape Merlin is going to be my best bet for ease of building on a single coil and quality, anyone have one that can shed some light or recommend other suggestions on other RTA's?

While I'm at it, what sort of Wire should I use? I currently have an iStick Pico so i have temp control capability, however I've never used it and not sure if it's worth it.

Still plenty of research into coil safety needs to be done on my part prior to starting but I'm weighing up my options

AVF Regular
    It's all fairly subjective mate... you could wick one RTA the right way, first go and it may be amazing but others might have had issues with them (and vice versa). I'm only just getting into RTA tanks myself but the market is your oyster. Are you after flavour or clouds? If you're not wanting to wind coils, there's tons of pre wound coils out there and all the gear to get you started.
    merexy likes this.

I'm looking for flavor mostly, I don't really pump through high wattages (I usually work around 15-30 pending on the liquid I'm using).

I'll most likely grab a coil master kit as well, seems to be what I imagine are knock offs on fasttech for cheap, I'm a little confused on the the sizing, I imagine that’s the actual coil diameter, they list 1 +1.5 + 2 etc on the different ones available.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunv666 View Post
    I'm looking for flavor mostly, I don't really pump through high wattages (I usually work around 15-30 pending on the liquid I'm using).

I'll most likely grab a coil master kit as well, seems to be what I imagine are knock offs on fasttech for cheap, I'm a little confused on the the sizing, I imagine that’s the actual coil diameter, they list 1 +1.5 + 2 etc on the different ones available.
    Yep, those are the size mandrels that you wind the wire around, so that is the Inside diameter of the coil. The most useful sizes are 2.5mm and 3.0mm.

You can easily make coils for the Subtank RBA.

The most useful wires for you for normal coils will be 26 gauge and 24 gauge Kanthal A1. Get 28 gauge if you want to wind single coils at or over 1.5 ohms.

If you want to have a play with temperature control get some stainless 316 wire. SS wire can be run in both TC mode and VW mode. I'd probably recommend 28g and 26g for SS wire. If you're going to be using a dripper temperature control is actually useful, since it can protect you from dry hits if you forget to drip enough. The vapour production just drops off.
    JKL likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I've just purchased a Wotofo Serpent from the classies here. When I've had time to play with that I'll give you a little review on how I did. But from general consensus from reviewers, the serpent and serpent mini are good tanks. Other tanks include the Youde Bellus (another one I'd like to try) and the Geekvape Avocado tank.. If you go down the diy coil wrapping route, SS316L is a good medium as it can be put into temp mode or wattage mode. So pulse your coil in wattage mode and align the coil etc, then once you've wicked and juiced it, throw it into temp mode and vape away!

I'm going to give that a go!

Thanks Fabricator that's some very useful info!

While i have it there I guess it's worth my while practicing to practice on the subtank deck, I've gotten quite proficient at wicking this thing so would be good to start making my own coils. Good tip on the Stainless btw, i was under the impression it could only be run in wattage mode.

Gurishka, sure the Serpant was the other one I've been looking at, not super keen on how it looks though, i like the look of the mini but juice capacity is limiting, I prefer to not be filling often haha

AVF Regular
    i'd say a Geekvape Eagle tank
    The coils can be re-wicked, and rebuilt. Plus you get the convenience of having both a single coil or a dual coil build deck.
    In terms of wire, you can get premade clapton wire spools from UD or Geekvape that you can coil yourself if you're loking for flavour
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon
    • Pulse 22
    • Narda
    • Flave 24
    • HAKU!!!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolous View Post
    i'd say a Geekvape Eagle tank
    The coils can be re-wicked, and rebuilt. Plus you get the convenience of having both a single coil or a dual coil build deck.
    In terms of wire, you can get premade clapton wire spools from UD or Geekvape that you can coil yourself if you're loking for flavour
    He has a Pico so the Eagle wont fit. Its 25mm. 22mm is yr max outside diameter. Keep that in mind when buying as your jubilation will turn to deflation very quickly..☺
    gtadmin likes this.

I've read 1 forum post that said the Merlin will just barely fit the Pico not sure how much trust i can put in 1 post on a forum, subtank mini seems to have about 2-3mm of clearance on it, so may be true.

AVF Regular
    Can personally vouch for the serpent mini being a great little single coil tank - its no effort to refill it also - after I put the top cap back on, I hold it upside down (drip tip down) to clear a bit of pressure in the chamber and get bugger all juice leaking out of it (they will all leak in some way)

The merlin on the other hand - it pi$$ed juice out (2 tries with diff wicks each time) and I lost all faith in it due to having to waste juice - havent bothered to find out why it may be bad and just went and got a limitless plus rdta lol
    gurishka likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast