• 1 Post By Fents
  • 4 Post By Crisscross
  • 2 Post By helixx
  • 1 Post By Fents

Thread: Kangertech Top Box Mini Leaking

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Kangertech Top Box Mini Leaking

Hi,

Purchased a Kbox topbox mini and it has not stopped leaking since i got it. It mainly leaks around the air intake slider at the bottom. I have purchased a new complete oring kit from fast tech which im hoping will fix it. The leak caused my clapton coil to blow out in a day which i was pretty unhappy with. Ive also lost a bit of juice due to the leak. I've also seen on youtube it could be a little bit of wire sticking out from the oring on the coil but i doubt this is the case as two coils and it still leaks.

Apart from that i love this thing. Massive clouds and packs a really good punch. Have not had a cig since i got it!
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Welcome fents.

This is not specific to your particular tank but some general comments and trouble shooting on leaking atomisers,

All these tanks work or fail on the air pressure inside the tank. Leaking often occurs when this pressure is too high forcing the eliquid through the coil into the chamber below and out the air flow holes. Too little pressure (slight vacume) will result in not enough eliquid getting to your coils resulting in a dry hit. It normally suggests a leaking seal (o-ring) or sucking too hard on your driptip creating a hard pull and draws eliquid through your coil and into the chimney, which then drips back and creates the leaking.

Trouble shooting.
    Check all o-rings. Make sure the components are not over tightened. This squishes the O-rings and can create folds or flat spots and failing as a good seal. Closed but not tight allows the o-rings to swell with eliquid and do their job properly. It's counter intuitive to loosen to stop leaking.

Make sure your airflow is closed when you are filling the tank (top fill tanks). Once full open the airflow, turn the tank upside and blow through the driptip. (Hold a tissue over the airflow holes to catch any excess.

Technique
    Make sure you are not over sucking. Take air with your vapour. Sucking to hard (like a straw) draws too much eliquid through the coil and flooding happens.
    Make sure your temperature/wattage is correct for the coil and eliquid you are using. A quick way to check is to fire the tank and blow the vapour through the air flow holes rather than inhale. This will show you the vapour you should expect.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 23-08-16 at 11:46 AM.
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Cheers CC.

Some great advice there for a newbie. Never thought to close the airflow when filling.

Also will drain, take it all apart, wash and dry it all and re assemble to see if something is over tightened until my seal kit gets here.

Thanks heaps, i'll get there!
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fents View Post
    Cheers CC.

Some great advice there for a newbie. Never thought to close the airflow when filling.

Also will drain, take it all apart, wash and dry it all and re assemble to see if something is over tightened until my seal kit gets here.

Thanks heaps, i'll get there!
    You might not believe this right now but all these niggling problems in the beginning are wonderful for teaching you about your gear and will give you a good grounding in future problem solving.
    merexy, helixx, Fents and 1 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I have a lot of love for the top box. I started on a subox and the top box is a great improvement. A much more convenient tank, with a top fill option.
    I never had the leaking issues you speak of, unless I left it in a hot environment.
    Hopefully the oring kit sorts the problem for you.
    All the advice in XX's post is great, the only thing i could add, which i use on other tanks, is once the lid is close to sealed, tip it upside down before you screw it all of the way on.
    The pressure/vacuum in a tank takes a little bit to get your head around, but once you understand that a lot of stuff will makes sense.
    Like most vapers, you will end up with an intimate understanding of how your gear works. This forum is a great place to fill the gaps until then
    Crisscross and Fents like this.

cheers helix

so when i tip it upside down (close to being sealed..) then seal it properly?? also with the airflow still closed as per CC's advice?

Took the coil out last night and it wasnt loose, put it back in, cranked it up to 40W and blew out all the crap whilst i had tissues around the airflow but it's still leaking. Its also popping and gurgling a fair bit when vape. Im a DL type vaper. I spoke to the retailer yesterday and we both agree its probably not the unit its just me getting used to it all. I'll take it back and get a full rundown and get him to re set it up for me.

Question : Is there a spreadsheet or something online that would tell me excatly what coils can be used in what modes and also what ohm coils should be run at what temps/watt's?

I get that NiC coils are only temp mode and that the lower the ohm on the coil the bigger vape its going to produce but other than that i need help!

AVF Regular
    Have you tried using a new coil?
    I have this same issue with the pre-made coils when the cotton pushes in slightly which is why I now use the RBA.

Im on my second coil, both were leaking. Have got a 5pk of new claptons coming from fast tech soon. Also heading back to leaf house this arvo to try and get it sorted. will def let you all know once i find the solution.

Leak solved!! Rob kindly threw a new SSOCC stainless coil in, cleaned it all up and it hasnt leaked since. Im putting it down to a dodgy coil (or me just being a newb hahahaha)

pretty damn happy with it! Also brought an aspire cleito to pair with the kbox mini.
    Last edited by Fents; 29-08-16 at 03:17 PM.
    Crisscross likes this.