Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Crown V2 with cool fire 100tc mod help

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Crown V2 with cool fire 100tc mod help

Hi all ,
    Well I've been vaping for around 8 months or so now and loving every minute of it.
    So far I've been using a Kanger sub tank mini with the itaste mvp3.0 mod. Using 0.5ohm coils.
    I've been having a few problems lately with the sub tank spitting and leaking oil and decided to try something new.
    So just arrived in the mail today is my Uwell Crown v2 and an innikon cool fire tc100 mod.
    Using the new dual 0.5 coils with 3mg 65/35 VG/PG juice.
    So my question is how long do I let the coil soak before I start vaping and what is a good starting temp as I've never used temp control before. I have primed the coil by dropping juice into the four holes until it wouldn't soak in anymore then filled the tank and let it sit for 20 minutes. I started at 345F temp but immediately tasted an off almost burnt taste so didn't try again. Should I let the coil soak for a few hours or something ?

AVF Regular
    10 minutes is usually overkill if you've primed the coils. We all use celsius here. 180C should hardly produce any vapour. 220C is where I am normally.

If it doesn't work roughly like that, then something is not set up right. If you let it get the baseline resistance with a hot coil it will fry it when you try to run at any reasonable temperature, and it's pretty easy to get it wrong. Make sure you've got the right coil material selected, and make sure it gets the baseline resistance when it's at room temperature.
    Robray likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I'm pretty sure I watched a review on that mod and it was way behind on the temp control.
    Try at about 520f+

Also, there are bad batches of crown 2 coils floating around that taste like ass.
    Chrisso_88 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yes, like Hyper mentioned there are some bad batches of Crown V2 coils.

RIP Trippers made it clear on his utube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eoPrmylCY
    Chrisso_88 likes this.
    Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbram View Post
    Hi all ,
    Well I've been vaping for around 8 months or so now and loving every minute of it.
    So far I've been using a Kanger sub tank mini with the itaste mvp3.0 mod. Using 0.5ohm coils.
    I've been having a few problems lately with the sub tank spitting and leaking oil and decided to try something new.
    So just arrived in the mail today is my Uwell Crown v2 and an innikon cool fire tc100 mod.
    Using the new dual 0.5 coils with 3mg 65/35 VG/PG juice.
    So my question is how long do I let the coil soak before I start vaping and what is a good starting temp as I've never used temp control before. I have primed the coil by dropping juice into the four holes until it wouldn't soak in anymore then filled the tank and let it sit for 20 minutes. I started at 345F temp but immediately tasted an off almost burnt taste so didn't try again. Should I let the coil soak for a few hours or something ?
    Not surprised at the spitting and leaking STM, i call them Sub Leak Spitty's, i loathe those things, had one - my first ever tank - and finally after 4 sets of oring changes, it seems to work, but thats after i got rid of it after the second set of orings failed to stop the bleeding, it has lived with Disley for a long time now. He knows better than to ever bring it into my presence.

Nothing wrong with the MVP3.0, i started on one of those, solid as

Now for the Crown coils story....i had one of the original Crown tanks

You did everything right, priming it via the holes until they wouldnt take up any more juice and then letting it sit. the only other thing you might have done was primer puff it (take several short sharp puffs without firing)

But that probably wouldnt have made a difference, because...

I could not get more than 3 days out of a coil (neither could plenty of people i knew, including the guys at Steam) - a rare period where i actually used prebuilt coils while i was waiting on the rebuidable deck for it . I would have a coil well soaked and going along nicely one day, leave it overnight and it would give me burnt tastes and hits the next day...despite having been standing overnight with a full tank behind it, and being primer puffed before firing it. This happened over 4 coils. I found threads on the issue on ECF, another forum, and wrote to UWell, who were surprisingly open about the fact they had an issue with a batch of coils, even more openly saying that they had no way of tracking or recalling these bad batches. Nevertheless i bought some more coils from a different supplier...same story. So at the time there was no known way of determining if you had the bad coils. When they were working you had to fire them at around 55W to get them working properly...which is more than i ever usually ran a coil at. The coils were also prone to burning out at the wire join, and heres where it becomes applicable to you and anyone else who wants to use Crown coils in temp control mode, because unless Uwell have changed their coil construction, they not made from one complete temp control wire, theyre NR-R-NR wires, i.e. only the centre bit is a temp control wire (SS - so you must use SS - the coils are believed to be 316L SS from memory), the ends are soldered on bits of kanthal, and this can and has caused plenty of fun for people trying to use them in temp control mode. It can be done, but you have to fiddle, and some mods handle this frankenwire better than others. You might also check that you have not got any preboost (preheat) enabled on the Coolfire, you pretty much definitely do not want that turned on with these coils - me i dont use preheat on any mod i own, because it doesnt make sense to me to heat the juice above a temp (even for a second) that i wouldnt vape it at, its cooking the juice, and stressing the coil. First thing i switched off on my DNA200 mod...preheat - off...i think the default on some wires was 100w...and i only vape at 26w in temp control .

Anyways, back to the Crown story...well my rebuildable deck turned up and when that also turned out to be less than ideal, i sent my tank back tot he head of Uwell, who not only refunded my money, but sent me a completely new tank and coil set....which, because im a once burnt, twice shy vaper, went to live with Disley...who had his own fun trying to get it working in temp control (i never had a temp control mode to try it in temp control at the time) and coil life. I do remember getting emails saying something like "i dont know why you didnt like this" one day, and then a day later "this thing is trying to kill me, why doesnt it work"

Sadly i hoped the Rafale and Crown v2, follow up tanks, would turn out better, because apart from the coil/rebuildable deck drama, the Crown was a well made tank with great airflow. But i have seen reports of the same coil drama affecting the Crown v2, with one reviewer being on the 3rd generation of crown v2 coils and still having issues. Ive seen at least 4 reviews saying the coils are up to poo. even Rip Trippers has a video called Crown v2 fail, but im not posting it because we've had enough RT lately

As i said, in watts mode i had to run them at around 55w just to get them working, so i assume that they would also need to go above what i would normally set as a temp in temp control. Now i vape at 180c/185 daily, maybe 200c if im down in Bowral where it gets properly cold. I do not like hot vapes. Considering i never had a temp control mod when i had the Crown, im still willing to guess that you are going to need somewhere north of 420f/220c to get them working well. Since theyre giving you a burnt taste at 345f/175c, youre probably a bit screwed.

Having said that, as with the Crown v1, some people had little or no issues with their coils and Crown tanks, and good luck to them. But it always seemed to be 60/40 good/bad as to whetehr you got a good batch of coils, and i dont do odds like that, so back mine went, along with many others.

You can always of course try your luck in VW mode with the coils, 50w+ is what you'll need though

I wish i had better news....

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    10 minutes is usually overkill if you've primed the coils. We all use celsius here. 180C should hardly produce any vapour. 220C is where I am normally.

If it doesn't work roughly like that, then something is not set up right. If you let it get the baseline resistance with a hot coil it will fry it when you try to run at any reasonable temperature, and it's pretty easy to get it wrong. Make sure you've got the right coil material selected, and make sure it gets the baseline resistance when it's at room temperature.
    180c produces plenty of vapour, my every day temp is 180/185 with 80%VG\20%DW - this week 90%VG\10%DW...ask NicoAndLaughter, i clouded up her kitchen earlier today with just a 3 second toot

I only ever go higher if im in Bowral near freezing - or if im dual coiling the Avo, which ill never do again - it needs around 240c to get going, so its pointless dual coiling it when i hate warm to hot vapes...back to single coils in the Avo...

180c on a single 7/8 wrap 0.5/0.6 ohm coil...nothing wrong with it, ive been doing it for about 10/11 months
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 24-08-16 at 05:30 PM.
    Chrisso_88 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    I'm pretty sure I watched a review on that mod and it was way behind on the temp control.
    Try at about 520f+

Also, there are bad batches of crown 2 coils floating around that taste like ass.
    Yup, i just found it Hyper..DJLSB review mentions 316L is not great on the CoolFire IV - surprising because Innokin is generally a great brand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXj8Q1WDCLs

So not great coils, and a surprisingly not great SS mode on the Innokin, a bit fubar

People should really get a nice small mod with not only SS mode, but changeable TCR...like umm, i dont know...a TreeBox?
    Chrisso_88 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Like style said, hit it at 55w in power mode and report back.
    That's what I ran my V1 crown with great results. (0.5ohm)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    180c produces plenty of vapour, my every day temp is 180/185 with 80%VG\20%DW - this week 90%VG\10%DW...ask NicoAndLaughter, i clouded up her kitchen earlier today with just a 3 second toot

I only ever go higher if im in Bowral near freezing - or if im dual coiling the Avo, which ill never do again - it needs around 240c to get going, so its pointless dual coiling it when i hate warm to hot vapes...back to single coils in the Avo...

180c on a single 7/8 wrap 0.5/0.6 ohm coil...nothing wrong with it, ive been doing it for about 10/11 months
    As long as it's working for you. 180C is lower than the vapourisation temperature of PG, so it should not be doing much at all at that temp. (Actual boiling point of of PG is 188.2C
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Well ok all thanks for the advice. Wish I had done some research before I ordered. Watched a couple of video reviews but only saw good ones. Oh well. So I changed to wattage mode and currently hitting it at 49watts and surprisingly it imediatly took away the shitty taste. I'll play around the next few days and let you all know how things go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    As long as it's working for you. 180C is lower than the vapourisation temperature of PG, so it should not be doing much at all at that temp. (Actual boiling point of of PG is 188.2C
    Doesnt matter whether ive used 50VG/50PG 60VG/40PG or even that time i did a 100% PG mix (just to see if i was sensitive to it/feel my throat bleed), 180c has always worked for me, same on both the TB and DNA200.

You have to remember thats PG's vaporisation temp on its own, it has to be changed when combined with VG and flavours etc, it structure doesnt exist as PG once you mix it.

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast