Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By trumpy955
  • 1 Post By Fatman

Thread: Replacing coils

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Replacing coils

Gday guys , I have been Vaping for just over a month now, cig free! I brought 2x T22 endure Mods and have been going strong with no real problems.
    I brought some replacement coils as recommended but so far have only replaced both my devices once.
    I find no real difference after replacing and wonder why this is recommended?

Also it's going to be time soon to purchase some more nicotine juice any recommendations?

Regards
    Southace

AVF Regular
    I wouldn't replace them until the coils need it. If they taste good, keep using them. You'll know when they are burnt out.
    Hiliq are great for nicotine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatman and Stevo like this.

Super Moderator
    Yep Coil durability is a very personalised thing .. some people kill them in a week others can go months ... I vape mainly unflavoured these days and its not uncommon for me to get 2 months out of a coil ... there will be a gradual transition to "manky" over time ... basically just follow your own sense and as coils cost bugger all comparatively you are not really losing out by changing them early
    eLicky likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Southace View Post
    Gday guys , I have been Vaping for just over a month now, cig free! I brought 2x T22 endure Mods and have been going strong with no real problems.
    I brought some replacement coils as recommended but so far have only replaced both my devices once.
    I find no real difference after replacing and wonder why this is recommended?

Also it's going to be time soon to purchase some more nicotine juice any recommendations?

Regards
    Southace

The coils will gunk up over time. How long that is depends on what the juice is that you are using and how much of it you vape. I have a natural coffee that gunks up coils in only five ml or so; that's called a "coil killer". Other juices I vape 50ml no problems.

You will know when the coil is ready for replacement when the vapour production drops off even on a freshly charged battery. You may also notice some off flavours like burnt juice - that's the VG gunking on the coil.

If you don't change it out you'll eventually notice the grunge backwashing into your tank and making it go dark - you definitely want to avoid that happening and change the coil before it gets to that; it's nasty. If you're not sure how far along your coil is pull it out and inspect the cotton at the juice holes. If you see that it's darker than normal it's probably an indication that your coil is EOL. It will be darker when it's wet with juice - I'm taking about any darkening beyond that. With some of the cartridges it's pretty hard to see a colour change but see how you go. Some dark juices are hard to tell - and they are normally the coil killers too.

It's not always possible to see the coil in the cartridges but if you can, inspect that too. If you can see the individual wraps, even if the are a bit black and the wick material looks alright then it's probably OK. If it's a black blob and you can't see the wire wraps it's definitely time to change it out because if the S41t isn't backwashing already, it soon will be, and the taste is probably bad too.

It's a bit like a petrol tank gauge in a car - when you get a new car you don't know how much petrol is really left when it's reading a quarter but as you get more experience you get to know it better.

You could consider Aussie shops for RTV (ready to vape) liquids. Buy 100mg/ml nicotine from Hiliq to add to the RTVs and look at a few Aussie vendors. eg:

VapourEyes
    Five Ten inc
    Govape
    Aussie Ecigs

Plenty more out there.

Using doublers is only a little more complicated that using RTVs, but it means you have to buy VG and PG as well. I use Basedrop for VG and PG, it's $12 a litre and quite good.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 30-08-16 at 03:50 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Just to add because fabricator is always saying what I want to say but better, I've found Five Ten Inc juice to be very kind to coils and taste good too. As Fabricator says, some juices just kill your coils quickly (generally darker juices), some don't. It becomes a bit of an art figuring out when best to change coils.