• 4 Post By Danyel Geelong
  • 2 Post By bugzme
  • 2 Post By Wombats1
  • 1 Post By singlefished

Thread: First attempt at RDA

AVF Regular

First attempt at RDA

So heres my first attempt seems good came in at .23

What is best way to work out how much cotton or is it just guessing until you find the right amount for you?

It is a Wotofo freakshow v2 its a bit fiddly but I like it.
    Comments constructive criticism welcome im a learner

Last edited by Wombats1; 31-08-16 at 05:32 PM.
    bugzme, trumpy955 and eLicky like this.
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Regular
    Yes, try to keep the leg lengths short and all the same. Because you want both coils to be the same resistance they've got be identical, and have the same leg lengths.

The amount of cotton is personal preference, and is trial an error. You can just have the cotton touching the base or you can fill the base up with cotton, or somewhere in between. Filling it up with cotton means that the juice doesn't slosh out the airholes if you tip it, but too much cotton means you can't drip as much, maybe. More cotton goes dry slower, hardly any cotton goes dry almost between vapes.

...and to add... Leave the drill bit in the coil while you are fitting it and as you do the screws up, it will help to keep it straight. After you've screwed it down and when you re-wick coils you can always re-insert the drill bit or winding bit to straighten the coils up. Don't be afraid to pull the coil around so it's where you want it. If you pull a wire out or a leg pulls too long, it needed fixing anyway. You can use a sharp tool like a pick or micro screwdriver to pull the wraps around to straighten them up while the winding bit is inserted too.

Edit again... I don't think you fired the coil before you wicked it? It's a good idea with contact/micro coil to do that because if the coil shorts across the wraps you are going to get a nasty burnt hit. Fire the coils dry until they glow evenly from the centre out. You can glow any coil except titanium. Check that both coils are glowing the same.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 31-08-16 at 06:00 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I have seen YouTube videos of similar builds they went with the Scottish roll. Do a search in YouTube, Abby vapes has a great tutorial of Scottish roll.
    Wombats1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    My rule of thumb for determining the width of my cotton, is to double the inner diameter of the coil. So if I wrap a 3mm coil, I'll generally cut the cotton at 6mm wide.
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

AVF Regular
    Cotton should be slightly firm when passing through the coil, but not firm enough to move it.

If using cotton squares, cut double the coil thickness.
    Remove outer skin and proceed to peel cotton like a bega stringer.
    Gather all tendrils and twist together one end, that should be perfect for two coils.

If that is your first time you have done an exceptional build, dual coil in a tri post.

As previously said, fire the coils to break in and test before wicking.
    stylemessiah and Wombats1 like this.

AVF Regular
    Got it today first ever coil, but I have watched Zophie prob more than I should

Awseome help guys thanks
    singlefished and eLicky like this.
    Smoke free since april 2016

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombats1 View Post
    I have watched Zophie prob more than I should
    Yup, one of the beneficial side effects of vaping....
    Wombats1 likes this.