AVF Regular

THE DAEDALUS FROM AVID ARTISANS Clapton Coil Maker

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the THE DAEDALUS FROM AVID ARTISANS Clapton Coil Winding Tool? I want to buy one, but I thought I would ask about them first. I saw a review where they are compared to hand crafted coils. The reviewer said the coils were not as close and tight on the the DAEDALUS, as compared to hand crafted coils. But maybe he was doing it wrong, or not, I don't know. Any help you can offer will appreciated.

Thanks,

Toe.

AVF Regular
    Havent seen anyone mention it

Just looking at it quickly, the reason for the quoted "not close wraps" should be quite obvious...the way the wire is fed on via that little channel means the arrival angle is going to be far less than the 90 degrees most people use...added to that the wire is also being tensioned from that end...add that up and of course the wraps are going to be less than ideal

Plus a zoom will tell show you what you need to know:

All over the shop, and it looks like the wire being fed has been "altered" in the static image to make the arrival angle closer to 90 degrees than what it actually is. I sniff manipulation

You'd be better off using the drill and swivel, feeding the wire on from 90 degres off the spool setup shown on more than a few youtube videos
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12-09-16 at 12:57 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    I am only just getting into fancy coil making (anything made of twisted wire). So I am not that experienced, but thank you for the advice. Exactly what I was looking for. Might just stick with a drill!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Toe Tall Noob View Post
    I am only just getting into fancy coil making (anything made of twisted wire). So I am not that experienced, but thank you for the advice. Exactly what I was looking for. Might just stick with a drill!
    Yup, if youre careful you can end up with a collection of toys to gather dust in vaping (or you could be me and be famous for the amount you send back )

I think this is the most quoted clapton jig video

I believe, from my rickety memory, you can substitute something like a pen nib (even a plastic pen nib if youre stuck), or alternately anything metal with a fine hole in it that the wire will feed through, for the ego coil head

I think the later videos pretty much only differ in that the free end of the wire you can first wind around a swivel, fixed to a clamp on the opposite end to the drill
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12-09-16 at 01:11 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    For what its worth, i just found this....at least theyve recognised the importance of the arrival angle of the wire

29 damn American Dollars

Makes the Daedealus look what it is, an expensive bulky toy
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12-09-16 at 01:25 PM.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    There's a live giveaway for this atm on their FB