Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By feebs v2

Thread: Back to vaping ...& some Qs

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Back to vaping ...& some Qs

Hi all,

I quit smoking & started vaping back in 2010, & was one of the original posters on this forum. I was vaping for over a year, was totally hooked on it, & knew quite a lot about my equipment, mixing eliquids etc. I also converted a lot of friends & strangers!

Some time late 2011 I was stupid enough to buy a pack of analogs while I was out one night... then another, & another...you know how it goes

In the last year I switched to rollies, but the recent hike (&more to come I'm sure) means I can no longer afford to smoke.

I decided to look into the world of vaping again, & OMG!!! I knew it would have changed, but I was shocked at how much it has!!!I have spent quite a few hours looking over info on the net, & have a basic idea, but still need help.

I ought 2 cheapish box mods (one variable watts- U30 Vapor Storm) & one variable temp/voltage -Seego TC 50w) I also bought an assortment of clearos/tanks with different ohms that are within the specs of the mods.

My Q is will all clearos/tanks be able to be used on my devices without blowing up, not working properly etc? I'm not entirely sure how you're meant to match the clearo to a device, & what the ohms are about?... power/heat of the puff you take?

Also unsure about watts vs volts? When I was vaping, the "cig" type devices were 3.7v & mods (including variable voltage) were only just starting out & not so readily available. I purchased a vapor moon mod from the US & never looked back to 3.7 vaping. It's a pretty metal tube using 2x 16340/RCR123A batteries, & a touch sensitive 'button'. It is a 5v device & I direct dripped using a 510 atty. I still have that mod & my last atty is still alive! Obviously the old style 510 atties are no longer available, but I'd like to use my device to drip & try out my new (en-route) eliquids, before I decide what flavours I should fill my tanks with. Can someone recommend what I should purchase to drip on a 5v device?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have plenty more Qs, as I'm just starting to get my head around this new (again) world of vaping!
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ok... So variable voltage/wattage mods are regulated mods, in that you dial in how much power you want and that's what the mod delivers to the coil. Sounds like your old 3.7v devices were unregulated- we still have unregulated devices but we call them mechanical (mech) mods or hybrids.

With regulated mods, you don't really have to worry about blowing them up. Just look at the resistance range in the mod specs (it will say something like 0.2ohms-3ohms in VW mode and 0.1ohms-2ohms in TC mode) and choose a clearo tank that has coils available in that range. If it's outside the range it won't blow up, it just won't fire.

I've never heard of the mods you ordered but if they have a max of 30w you'll want to choose tanks that have coil heads available between about 1ohm and 1.8ohms. So - not 'subohm' tanks. The 50w/TC device could probably handle down to about 0.5ohm without a struggle.

Someone more old school than me will come along soon and answer your other questions, I'm sure!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks Duckling, your info is very helpful :-) .... glad to hear that I got the ohms thing right, as I had taken a (vaguely educated) guess, & purchased a variety of clearos that fell between the stated ohms of the 2 devices I bought. One is 0.1 - 3 ohms, the other mod is from 0.3 ohms. They were both fairly cheap & offer different features. I just wanted to experiment with vv, vw & tc, 30w & 50w... see what I prefer.

I just found new style atties for my old 5w unregulated mod... they all seemed pretty similar so hopefully I won't blow it up!