Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Billetbox Rev 3.a Batteries

AVF Regular

Billetbox Rev 3.a Batteries

As the owner of a few Rev 3.a Billetboxs I am asked quite a lot about sourcing 16340 batteries for them. The preferred battery has always been AW black but unfortunately they are no longer being shipped to Australia. In an effort to ensure an ongoing supply I have been discussing alternatives with Supersports (my go to battery man ).

http://stores.ebay.com.au/supersports600

Now Supersports has two 16340 batteries in the eBay store, keeppower (black) and DLG (blue)
    The keeppowers will not fit.....they are too long.
    The DLG do fit but they are a tad loose. This is ok if you only use them as you can stretch the battery terminals to get a more secure fit.

There are a couple of other brands that have been discussed. Nitcore, olight and Soshine.

Nitcore. Again a fraction too big. You can install them but getting them out is nearly impossible (voice of experience)

Olight (protected) SS has just completed some bench tests on these and the results show they are a bit hit and miss. The first one tested failed the protection test.

Quote from email exchange

Tested the olight and compared to DLG. The olights I got are protected, when I got them, I quickly put the veneers on one and the battery heated up ie. the protection didn’t work and that battery is now faulty.
    I stopped there and sent that message. Closer inspection and testing later on the other ones confirmed they are protected
    Length
    Olight 34.35
    dlg 34.15
    keeppower 35.2

The Olights are ok, not as good as the DLG. See two graphs below. 1amp and 2amp, olight = bright green.
    Testing graphs

1 amp

2 amp

Soshines. Still to come.

US BB owners use Imren 16340 and if I can work out how to get them sent to Australia.....they will go in the testing list.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 07-10-16 at 05:47 PM.
    Robray, giruvian, gtadmin and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I am not an expert on batteries so if there are any technical questions then I will ask SS to chime in with an answer
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Supersport DLG cells can be adapted to stop rattling about, with a little solder on the positive pin. Only recommended to be done by a competent person.( Disclaimer should go here as it will certainly void any warranty )
    Crisscross and Fatman like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Is it considered safe to use a 1mm or 2mm thick button magnet on the short cells so that they fit? I wouldn't have a problem doing this, but you'd probably need to be very careful when inserting and removing batteries to keep track of the magnets. You wouldn't want them floating around loose.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Is it considered safe to use a 1mm or 2mm thick button magnet on the short cells so that they fit? I wouldn't have a problem doing this, but you'd probably need to be very careful when inserting and removing batteries to keep track of the magnets. You wouldn't want them floating around loose.

I wouldn't. The nipple top semi locks into an indented circle.

It's much easier to open the battery terminal spring by a mm
    Last edited by Crisscross; 07-10-16 at 07:03 PM.
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    Magnets or solder both work but I prefer solder, just be careful soldering, you don't want the battery getting too hot.

Magnets can be found at Fasttech.
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    I dont have an issue using magnets, however they are far better and safer on the negative end. Possibility of them getting displaced from the positive pin and shorting to earth.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    I dont have an issue using magnets, however they are far better and safer on the negative end. Possibility of them getting displaced from the positive pin and shorting to earth.
    Good point. In which case use a slightly larger diameter. FT to the rescue: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...-neodymium-nib

I can solder, but I'm very wary about soldering directly onto batteries. The quicker you can get in and out the better but it's not ideal. Minimum soldering iron recommended would be 25 watt with a very large tip. 50 watt might be overkill.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    That's true but not always possible, for my torch I had to extend the positive end to make contact, I really should be using button top batteries, but I cheat
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    That's true but not always possible, for my torch I had to extend the positive end to make contact, I really should be using button top batteries, but I cheat

Nothing at all wrong with cheating. The fact you know you are cheating indicates that you understand the potential difficulties. I am aiming my comment mainly to the people who dont understand and think this is the normal way.
    fixit likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast