Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Atlantis EVO thin vape

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Atlantis EVO thin vape

Hi folks,

After accidentally buying Atlantis 0.15 Ohm Ni200 coils for my Nautilus tank (which don't fit) I decided to buy an Atlantis EVO Extended kit to work with them. I have an IPV D2 with TC mode and I've tried running it up to 40j at 450F but I still doesn't seem to produce as thick a vape as the Nautilus with 1.8 Ohms coils in watt mode at 12w. It seems very airy with not as much vapor while chewing through juice and batteries a lot faster. At the current rate it'll probably empty a 4ml tank and an 18650 battery in a matter of hours rather than the 1.5 - 2 days I'm used to. Mind you I am getting a much stronger nic hit.
    I don't have much experience with temp control. Could I be doing something wrong or could it just be a matter of getting used to the way the EVO draws?

I found a review where the guy put way more power into these .15 ohm coils. 500F at 60j. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58q7BStezLo My mod only goes up to 50j but that seems to get some reasonable clouds happening, at least doing lung hits with the air holes opened right up. Might need some more batteries... Interestingly when I tried sub ohm with the Nautilus, the juice would burn at that temp. This one spits a bit sometimes but the larger airholes must be the key. The IPV D2 would also misfire a lot with the Nautilus with sub ohm coils and I'm not getting that problem with this tank.

Still, it doesn't seem all that great compared to the old Nautilus with 1.8ohm coils at 12w, and I'll get 3 - 4 times more life out of the batteries and juice with that setup. Kinda disappointing really. But I've got some high VG juice and some .4 and .5ohm coils that came with the tank to try out yet, so plenty more to experiment with.

AVF Regular
    Your nautilus is a mouth to lung set up where as the atlantis evo is direct lung. I have 2 atlantis evo's and there is no problem with them but it needs the airholes open I am using the supplied 0.5 ohm coils and running them at 35 watts. There is no spitback, leaks or gurgling from either of the ones I have and they do produce good flavor and plenty of vapor even after 2 weeks with the same coils. I havent tried temp control on them but cant see any reason that it would make a difference

Yes you will definitely use batteries faster when sub ohming compared to the 1.8 ohm coils in you Nautilus
    strop69 likes this.

Thanks captive! I'm getting some pretty groovy results now at 40j. I think I'll need a few more batteries now.

I've discovered if I set the ohms cold it'll read at like .11 to .13 or so (coils are rated at 0.15) and the vape isn't very satisfying. The Nautilus runs rings around it. But if I have a vape or two and reset the ohms it'll then come in at like 0.16 and then I'm getting taste and cloud much more to my liking. Am I doing anything potentially dangerous this way though?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by strop69 View Post
    I've discovered if I set the ohms cold it'll read at like .11 to .13 or so (coils are rated at 0.15) and the vape isn't very satisfying. The Nautilus runs rings around it. But if I have a vape or two and reset the ohms it'll then come in at like 0.16 and then I'm getting taste and cloud much more to my liking. Am I doing anything potentially dangerous this way though?
    Yes, you're making the temperature inaccurate. (I think mods work on 40j = 400 degrees F).

It would be more accurate to set the resistance cold, then set the temperature higher. Most mods will then try fine tune the resistance after the initial setting, so you might find the vape getting gradually weaker.

Whatever works for you though - as long as you understand what you are doing there should be no problem.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

This mod allows temp and joules to be set independently. The maximums it'll go to are 572F and 50j. I tried bumping up to 500F at 40j and and reset resistance cold again (which comes in around .11) but it's still kind of anemic. Set resistance with the coil slightly warm though up around .13 and it's beautiful. That's still below the .15 it says on the box the coils came in that it should be reading so maybe the mod is reading them incorrectly or it's a dodgy coil?

I have a rudimentary understanding of electronics but I'm by no means an expert. I mainly want to be sure I won't cause a problem that could cause damage to me or the mod.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by strop69 View Post
    I mainly want to be sure I won't cause a problem that could cause damage to me or the mod.
    Well the only likely problem might be a suddenly dry and burnt hit if the mod decides the coil actually is 0.15 ohms. You'll know about that though...

It's usual for a coil to be a little bit out because it can be to the nearest wrap or half wrap, plus the gauge can vary by up to 5% (but rarely does). I'd have to say I consider it odd that it's 26% out though, plus it's more normal to read a little high once you include the contact resistance of the mod and the atty base resistance. Something does not appear to be right. You'd need to get an ohmmeter (https://www.fasttech.com/product/163...ster-ohm-meter) or a burning tab or something to double check the coil resistance. That's not an endorsement for the linked product - just the first one found in a search.

It's OK for the mod to be inaccurate, as long as you know and as long as it's always wrong by the same amount (just very, very annoying). Given that you can't get it hot enough using the cold baseline temperature of the coil, the more correct solution would be to use a custom TCR setting if the mod allows you to do that. Oh and while I'm thinking about TCR, double check that the mod is set to the correct wire type for Ni200 (different wires have different TCR values).
    Last edited by fabricator4; 14-10-16 at 11:46 AM.
    strop69 likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Thanks mate. I found a thread at https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...stance.673043/ which seems to be reporting similar issues to what I'm having. I believe, in theory, setting resistance a bit higher than actual should give a similar result to setting temp and joules higher while using an accurate resistance. It's just a sloppy way to go about it. Yet for some reason seems to work better, at least with my combo. In the thread they mention the worst that could happen is I burn out coils a bit faster.

The issue might be some kind of compatibility problem with my IPV D2 and these .15ohm coils. I've got some .4 & .5 ones to try out that came with the tank. If they work better I'll switch to those after I use up all the .15 ones I bought.
    Last edited by strop69; 14-10-16 at 04:45 PM.
    fabricator4 likes this.

I just installed a .4 coil and it's working as I would expect out of the box! I set the resistance cold and then I even had to back it down to 400F at 30j so I guess it must be an issue with the IPV D2 and .15 coils.

Incidentally "Popstar" juice from GoodLifeVaper killed the first coil. I always had trouble with this one burning coils within a tank or two in the Nautilus and was hoping the Atlantis might fare better, but apparently not. Strangely I've had other high VG juices from these guys that have never been a problem. There's just something about this one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast