Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Squonk RDA vs Tanks. Why is it such a hard sell?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Squonk RDA vs Tanks. Why is it such a hard sell?

So our vaping community it my workplace continues to thrive.

We meet out in our smoking (vaping) shelter. Almost all the smokers in our workplace are now vapers. There are only a couple of hold-outs who have either convinced themselves that they don't care or don't think that the harmful effects of smoking will catch up with them. The rest of us vape away, swapping tokes and discussing technologies. We even have our own communal 'flavour library' whereby if you contribute five flavour concentrates (FA is preferred) you get access to the whole library. BYO PG/VG and nic. We now have over 50 concentrates in the bar fridge kept in the IT build room. Recipes are a big talking point.

I've gotten used to being the leader and 'Alpha Vaper' of our little community. I was the first to switch to vaping, I've been the one who's mentored the smokers switching to vpaing. I've always been the one who lead the way though the different techonology stages (cigalikes, EGo/Kanger - Protanks, Tubemods - Kayfuns, Box mods - Subtanks, TC) The flavour library was also my idea.

But now I've reached an impasse. About six months ago I switched to squonking with a Vaporflask 2.1S and a Lokilab Odin V2. I thought it was awesome and loved the vapor volumes, flavour and the fact that I'd also side-stepped the wicking/leaking problems inherent in all RTAs. Lately I've moved my Odin over to a Kanger Dripbox 160 and go all day.

However I seem to have left all my work buddies behind. Being the Alpha Vaper, I expected my vaping gear selection to be adopted by my vaping buddies but instead they've stuck with their box-mods and continue to try out different tanks (Crown tanks, Bellus's, Toptanks). I'm still unsure as to why they continue to stick with their tanks. They all acknowledge that the flavour on my rig is superior and I don't resist the 'nana nana nar-nar' when they complain of the wicking and leaking issues that they experience. But still none have followed me in the plunge to squonking/RDAs.

Does anyone care to share their insight? I know I sound like a wanker, but hey, I'm only human and did enjoy my role as 'Lord of the Dance' while it lasted. Who wouldn't?
    Northerner, Dhufish and Danny76 like this.

AVF Regular
    Ok man ur a legend in my mind all. All my work mates at work still do analog. I think they r slowly taking intrest in vaping as they see some of the flavors im coming to work with. Past being a flavor thing not sure they have much interest but maybe i got em thinking.
    Last edited by Danny76; 22-10-16 at 12:11 AM.
    Northerner likes this.

AVF Regular
    I think squonking and dripping are a bit more hardcore, they require a bit more feel for the way things work and it may seem a bit scary. Do the guys with tanks buy ready built coils, or do they use the RBA's that are available for some of those devices? If they don't already build, a squonk RDA they have to build on might be rather daunting as well. Don't be too hard on them - remember that they are not smoking and that's a good thing. We all find our own way to vape that we are happy with - what works for me not be right for someone else, and it's great that you've got them to a place where they are happy with their vape. Some may eventually follow you into squonkland, but let them get there in their own time.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Squonkers are bonkers.

But meanwhile, let the kids play with their cheap, leaking, semi-disposable tanks. It is a phase after all. Sooner or later they will want something that is quality and gives a consistently good, fuss free, vape.
    Last edited by Northerner; 22-10-16 at 12:52 AM.
    gtadmin and merexy like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    I am fascinated by squonking, the look of the devices and the idea of the all day tank just appeals, plus all the gorgeous gear. But the reality of use does not work for me. I think there are a few reasons the sell is difficult for you.

Forget that it appeals to you and look at it from their point of view, Squonking seems a perfect fit for people who like to drip, so squonkers take a different routine than if you are happily using a tank (even with its foibles). That routine may put people off.

It appears inflexible so if you want to change flavours or Vape multiple flavours then you need multiple devices, even though you know you can change flavours easily.

Maybe they are still in the excited discovery of vaping and not ready to settle down to something. Switching different tanks might just appeal.

i prefer regulated mods and most of the squonkers I like are unregulated and require the knowledge of coil customisation.

If you look at the range folks here there is a set that find squonking perfect and others that don't get why it has any advantage over what they have. You are just experiencing it in RL
    Last edited by Crisscross; 22-10-16 at 04:59 AM.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Yep, and to paraphrase what we've already said, it's probably easy to come to squonkers from the point of view of dripping, and dripping is not for everyone straight off the bat.

DIYers normally drip at least for testing, so if you haven't go them doing RDA's yet, they are going to resist the squonk.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Prior to the Dripbox squonk mods were very very expensive too. Now there's a cheaper alternative but it may take them a while to catch on to that

Plus, who cares? They're not smoking!
    giruvian and fabricator4 like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Well i started vaping 2 weeks ago, i've had my first sub tank for 4 days and you've got me interested! the communal library is a awesome idea

being the DIY type might be the key here though , the idea of a RBD and building coils sounds like fun to me and not something that would require me to spend endless nights researching when i have a usable setup so it might just be to much to handle for them! i do component level repair on phones by day and race miniquads the rest of the time so once i had the basics explained to me and the more i read the more my brain is ticking over about what i want in a setup but for most people i feel its alot to learn .. not rocket science but lots of little things that can make people give up without the right support and willingness to learn

if i were you i'd get them started on RBT's then buy afew cheap drippers and leave them on the fridge pre built and wicked ready to go with a free sign someone will bite
    Last edited by Hectech; 22-10-16 at 06:52 PM.
    giruvian likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Squonkers are bonkers.

But meanwhile, let the kids play with their cheap, leaking, semi-disposable tanks. It is a phase after all. Sooner or later they will want something that is quality and gives a consistently good, fuss free, vape.
    Haha I get a consistently good, fuss free vape from my $20 Kabuki style & $20 Rose V2 style attys & I hope to get the same from my yet to be delivered Rose V3 & Ubertoot style attys. The only thig I might be missing out on is the joy of ownership that comes with buying expensive items a.
    Sqonking still takes some experience or keenness because when I tried it I sometimes got a dry or near burnt hit from forgetting to squonk it's far easier to see when an atty is getting low.
    Northerner likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    Haha I get a consistently good, fuss free vape from my $20 Kabuki style & $20 Rose V2 style attys & I hope to get the same from my yet to be delivered Rose V3 & Ubertoot style attys. The only thig I might be missing out on is the joy of ownership that comes with buying expensive items a.
    Sqonking still takes some experience or keenness because when I tried it I sometimes got a dry or near burnt hit from forgetting to squonk it's far easier to see when an atty is getting low.
    The rose v3 styled is great, I also have the original and cant tell the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rodbam likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast