Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Flyiing with a Cubis tank?? Will it leak?

AVF Regular

Flyiing with a Cubis tank?? Will it leak?

OK have been thinking about this recently as I need to fly soon and need either confirmation that my logic is correct or I have gotten my train of thought wrong.

Over the last 5 years I have always flown carrying gear on board. First with cartomizers (which didn't leak), then with tanks flipping them upside down to stop leaking on take off and landing.

I recently grabbed a tiny eVic Basic with the Mini Cubis (which is a crappy evil spitting tank BTW - but does the job) to carry filled with me at the airport and on flights.

So, my logic says that with other tanks the air pressure pushes the liquid out the holes at the bottom and all over your carry on luggage/handbag, which is why we flip upside down.

The Cubis tank has no holes at the bottom so there is no where for the juice to leak downwards, and if in fact I did turn it upside down it would leak out the top?? Yes?? No??

So if I fly with the Cubis, do I flip or not? Has anyone flown with the Cubis style tanks?

And by the way never fly with a Wismec Presa - it is the only mod I have been stopped with at EVERY security check point between Canberra and Tokyo and return.
    Last edited by CupCake; 22-10-16 at 03:59 PM.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've not flown with one before but yes your logic is sound and no don't flip it or have it full to the brim in case it leaks out the top.

While it won't leak (my guess) it will flood a bit as pressure will force juice into the coil.

Or another thought use the little cap thing it comes with to seal it completely.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Littleraf

I didn't think of the flooding issue. The pressure has to go somewhere and the atomiser holes are the only place it could go. I find the cubis tank gurlges quite a bit when I first fill it but subsides after a few tokes. Question is if it flooded, how much it would flood?

Wonder whether I could just loosen the top fill cap slightly so the o-ring seal is broken, which may stop the coil flooding?

I just checked the box the kit came in and I didn't get a little cap thing (but going to google "little cap thing for the Cubis")

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Wonder whether I could just loosen the top fill cap slightly so the o-ring seal is broken, which may stop the coil flooding?
    Way to go. That will work. Certainly works for me in the past.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Have you considered emptying the tank pre flight? No juice suggests no leaking.
    Steve H likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CupCake View Post
    Thanks Littleraf

I didn't think of the flooding issue. The pressure has to go somewhere and the atomiser holes are the only place it could go. I find the cubis tank gurlges quite a bit when I first fill it but subsides after a few tokes. Question is if it flooded, how much it would flood?

I just checked the box the kit came in and I didn't get a little cap thing (but going to google "little cap thing for the Cubis")
    The inside air pressure in the tank will try to equalise with the pressure of the cabin and as you rightly pointed out there is only one way. Just remember if you are going to loosen the cap you'll have to keep it upright. Simplest solutions are often the best - fly with an empty tank

AVF Regular
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Emptying the tank is way too much hassle as I'm way too lazy. I couldn't be bothered fiddling around emptying before I board and then filling it up on landing. I just want to get off the plane, get my luggage and get out of the airport.

I think I'll only half fill the tank and loosen the top cap and keep it upright. Crossing fingers it works.

AVF Regular

Emptying the tank is way too much hassle as I'm way too lazy. I couldn't be bothered fiddling around emptying before I board and then filling it up on landing. I just want to get off the plane, get my luggage and get out of the airport.

I think I'll only half fill the tank and loosen the top cap and keep it upright. Crossing fingers it works.
    If it is going to be filled, fill it to the brim, the more air in the tank, the more air will try to escape. It is all about air pressure equalisation.

Upon thinking about it, if you store the device upside down the air will force less juice out - air will be the first to exit. You will still have some leakage from the coil itself I imagine though.

AVF Regular

That may work, but it may result in the coil flooding too (no internal pressure to stop the juice flowing into the head). The juice holes are the two little holes on the bottom of the coil head. Inverting it will stop it leaking and flooding.

ETA: I'm also guessing "BF" for the head designation stands for bottom feed.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-10-16 at 09:01 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Well I found the little cap thing for the Cubis online, but thinking more about the theories above this may still flood the coil because of the air pressure, maybe even worse as it would create a complete seal?

So the choices are turn the unit upside down so the juice isn't being pushed into the coil OR loosen the top fill cap so the air can escape through the gap instead of the coil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast