Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Strange taste from koh gen doh (noob)

AVF Regular

Strange taste from koh gen doh (noob)

Hi,

I tried geek vape koh gen doh in my rda and it tasted strange so I went back ti my tritom .5 ohm coils. It is the first real vape cotton I have used, is there any trick to it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    there must be. I cant get it right either.

all cotton i've tried, I can taste. no matter the build. All sorts of cotton sources. and its a "cottony" taste

current nirvana is Protank/Genitank BDC's with a medium volume drip tip, wide open AFC @ 10W 9-12mg juice
    mallee00 likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    That's why some of us use Rayon I think. If you keep using it, the wick may run in and taste better, until it doesn't. The only problem I had with cotton is that it gets a bit cottony after a week or so.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Okay thanks, where do you get your's?

AVF Regular
    I wouldn't move to Rayon without first trying different things with the cotton, it seems like something of an open debate about which i'm mostly staying out of. But here is some reading if you're interested.

As per your cotton taste, Lets experiment;
    • Correct wattage?
    • Proper airflow?
    • Properly primed wick? (Enough juice on the wick at the start)
    • Dirty tank? (Self explanatory)
    • Juice viscosity? (too thick to wick properly?)
    • Wick made dirty by handling during build? (try food-prep gloves?)
    • Does it go away after using it for a while? (He who is the most stubborn pain in the arse wins)

Try boiling one square of cotton, dry it in a proper manner, then make a wick from that. I wouldn't say its generally required for Japanese cotton but you may just have a bad batch.

Koh Gen Do cotton is a Japanese cosmetics product, brand name aside all you're looking for is an unbleached, chemical free cotton.
    Some vapers report slight differences between the brands for taste, i myself use Muji which is also a Japanese organic cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by martybaker View Post
    It is the first real vape cotton I have used, is there any trick to it?
    Did you try splitting the square of cotton in half before you used it? You can peel the square of cotton apart so you end up with two thinner pieces.
    Here's a picture i blatantly stole via google image search showing what i mean. After all, a picture says i thousand words and i can't be bothered typing that much.

Afterthought: You typed Koh Gen Doh, rather than Koh Gen Do. Is that a typo is your packet actually marked Koh Gen Doh ?
    Last edited by BushDozer; 23-10-16 at 07:23 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by martybaker View Post
    Okay thanks, where do you get your's?

Most vape shops will have it, Ebay, Fasttech eg https://www.fasttech.com/search?lyocell (the Chinese more commonly use the name lyocell - Rayon is a trademark.
    And then there's I thought I would climb on the Tampon Bandwagon!!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BushDozer View Post
    I wouldn't move to Rayon without first trying different things with the cotton, it seems like something of an open debate about which i'm mostly staying out of. But here is some reading if you're interested. ?
    I am not going to debate the rayon issue but just a point on the linked document, I believe those tests were done on dry materials. All materials react differently when used in a true wicking trial rather than a dry burning.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 23-10-16 at 08:18 AM.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I am not going to debate the rayon issue but just a point on the linked document, I believe those tests were don't on dry materials. All materials react differently when used in a true wicking trial rather than a dry burning.
    Well the standouts in the "experiment" (poor bloody animals!) is that both cotton and Rayon seemed to react the same and also it's a burn test as evidenced by the presence of CO - we already know that the byproducts of combustion are bad for you. That's why we all vape. I don't think that research is the least bit relevant to us, except as a warning to not burn your wick.

Gotta wonder where this stupid bloody stuff starts sometimes...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 23-10-16 at 08:19 AM.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    The fact that its not 100% specific to vapeing is why i just adopt the policy of to each their own.
    The point of that document being worth a read is simply pointing towards what happens when you take those materials and heat them, and cotton and rayon being listed side by side.
    The only line i would draw from that specific document towards vaping is perhaps burning an improperly wicking material in your coil, whichever you use.

But now we're just derailing.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BushDozer View Post
    The fact that its not 100% specific to vapeing is why i just adopt the policy of to each their own.
    The point of that document being worth a read is simply pointing towards what happens when you take those materials and heat them, and cotton and rayon being listed side by side.
    Not heat, burn. We know it's bad. Don't burn your wick.

The only line i would draw from that specific document towards vaping is perhaps burning an improperly wicking material in your coil, whichever you use.
    You'll definitely know if you are burning your wick. You won't want to do it twice. You certainly wouldn't want to do it as much you smoked tobacco

But now we're just derailing.
    I didn't raise it, but since it's here I think it's vitally important to point out that it amounts to scaremongering, and combustion of the wick is not something we need to be concerned about generally in vaping.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast