Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is There aLifespan for Tanks

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Is There aLifespan for Tanks

Greetings.
    I'm still a relatively new vaper, having vaped irregularly on assorted devives for a few years and now am a dedicated sub-ohm user.
    Have bought quite a bit of gear over the last year including 12 tanks, Crown and TFV4's mainly.
    I have 6 Crown tanks that I've rotated throughout each day using 10-15ml of juice.
    All of them are now leaking at about the same time. Eeeeek.
    I can no longer rely on them for even 1 day without juice flowing out of the air holes
    Given that I'm pretty careful looking after my tanks, cleaning, ensuring all fits correctly and changing O rings etc..
    Am now wondering if these tanks have reached the end of their useful life, or can they be resurrected ?
    Do I just buy new tanks, maybe a new brand ?
    Any comments most welcome as I don't want to waste $$$ on crappy gear or flog a dead horse if possible
    Please excuse me if I'm just repeating a previous thread.
    Cheers, Rod
    Last edited by Rodrocket; 27-10-16 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Added a few words

AVF Regular
    It would depend on exactly why they are leaking, but I wouldn't say you could have worn out 6 crown tanks in only three months or so. The most common EOL situation for tanks is dropping and smashing, and the parts either being unavailable or too expensive.

For leaking issues you need to identify what is going on, so look for changes in components (heads), ambient temperature, juice viscosity (warmer weather for eg), procedural changes and other causes such as top fill tank syndrome.

Edit: TFTS : top fill tank syndrome. Think I just invented an acronym :-D
    Last edited by fabricator4; 27-10-16 at 09:23 AM.
    stylemessiah likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Just to throw this into the mix. I think there is a lifespan on orings so even if you are religiously changing your orings, your new ones can be in different stages of deterioration. When I use old (age) orings I soak in PG for 10mins before I put on a tank. This rejuvenates them and you don't crack them during handling.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 27-10-16 at 10:28 AM.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Many thanks for the replys.
    I have never dropped any of the tanks and I have always cleaned them carefully so damage is not an issue.
    I hadn't considered that the O rings may have deteriorated and yes, it's possible that they are old.
    I'll do as suggested and try soaking them before fitting.
    Failing that I'll relegate them to the shelf which is a bugger as I still have about 6 packs of coils for them
    Totally sick of "slurpy" tanks.
    Will investigate "leakproof" tanks if, in fact, any exist.
    Cheers.

AVF Regular
    Just to add, if i don't use my crown for 5 to 6 days and it just sits there i find it floods and leaks out it's airholes the coil becomes too saturated and dumps liquid.

So if you have 6 tanks and they don't get vaped "dry" each time and ending up sitting for a while this can happen.

It's why i like my cubis tanks but then there is a spit back issues if i don't use them for several days.
    merexy, rodbam and Rodrocket like this.

AVF Regular
    I could be wrong here so don't quote me, its been a while since i've needed these particular snippets of knowledge.
    As far as pre-fabricated o-rings are concerned, based on my rough memory i believe the short lifespan (This is shelf life) ones were polyacrylate, at 5 years.
    I'm not aware of Silicone O-rings having a shelf life limit. (Someone like Fabricator can probably chime in here with a better and more recent working knowledge than i can)

First thing i would look at would be any marks or wear indicators on the o-rings due to your regular dismantling and re-assembling of the tank.
    Consider whether or not you have been lubricating the o-rings during this process.

This may not appeal to you but you can knock up a quick 'test' o-ring with bubblegum which contains "Gum Base" in the ingredients. This stuff is a proprietary blend generally containing Buna-N. a.k.a. Nitrile Rubber.
    It may not sound to appealing but it's been used in some crazy ways for quick band-aide fixes to get through a shift.

For the price of a pack of Hubba Bubba, it could be used to effectively test whether your O-Rings are the cause of your problem. Don't waste flavoured juice while trying this though, unflavoured PG/VG mixed to the same ratio as your other stuff if you've got it.

If that doesn't show results, Check how you're wicking and storing it.

my 2c.

Edit:
    You can also get replacement O-ring sets.
    Last edited by BushDozer; 28-10-16 at 03:52 PM.
    Rodrocket likes this.

AVF Regular
    For most, the lifespan is 'till you get bored with them.
    Rodrocket likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BushDozer View Post
    I'm not aware of Silicone O-rings having a shelf life limit. (Someone like Fabricator can probably chime in here with a better and more recent working knowledge than i can)
    Silicone o-rings don't have a shelf life. As long as they are stored reasonably well decades shouldn't be a problem. This is for the clear stuff, coloured may indeed have a more limited life but I wouldn't expect less than 10 or 15 years.

The main problem with silicone is in use - they can suffer abrasion damage pretty easily. Stretching should not be a problem as long as there is no physical damage. Contamination likewise should not be a problem. I have some pretty dark juices and even if the o-rings look a little yellow, they still seem to work perfectly.

Fasttech have plenty of o-rings these days. For less than $2 for usually 25 o-rings it's cheap enough to get a few different sizes each time you order. Just make sure you get the right ones. Mostly they list sizes by OD/ID
    Rodrocket likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Fasttech have plenty of o-rings these days. For less than $2 for usually 25 o-rings it's cheap enough to get a few different sizes each time you order. Just make sure you get the right ones. Mostly they list sizes by OD/ID
    I still want to see the photos of testing it with Hubba Bubba.
    FOR SCIENCE!
    Rodrocket likes this.

AVF Regular
    I agree with Dhufish about unused tanks starting to leak. I normally only rotate 3 tanks so all 3 get well used in a day but my Son who only vapes now & then has the same tanks leaking from just sitting there too long.
    merexy, Dhufish and Rodrocket like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast