Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: First vape

  1. #1
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    17

    First vape

    So planning on buying my first vape tomorrow, don't want to spend more than $100. So far I was thinking of going the eLeaf ipower 80w box paired with the SMOK TFV8 baby tank.

    Would anyone have any recommendations of a mod and tank combo around that price range that would be better.

    I'm looking for something that gives good amounts of flavour and decent clouds. Planning to quit cigarettes with this vape too

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    trumpy955 likes this.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    738
    Edit: Take the advice of the others.
    Last edited by toofargone; 08-11-16 at 11:30 AM.

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Gladstone, QLD
    Posts
    1,681
    Kanger Subox was a great starter kit for me. I still use mine and the flavour is great


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    You might want something that is more of mouth to lung vape, rather than that TV8. Nothing wrong with the TV8 but direct lung vaping is not for everyone, and certainly not at the beginning.

    The Subox and Topbox have tanks that are bit more in between and flexible, they will do a bit of both quite well.

    There's also the Evic Kit: Evic VTC Dual Starter Kit w/ Ultimo Tank Victory Vape
    but I've never used the ultimo tank and it looks like more of a direct lung only tank.

    You are kind of starting off at the deep end here. We normally recommend something like the Endura T18 for new vapers because of the simplicity. There's really nothing much to get wrong, and it's a mouth to lung vape. The above devices are great, but if you don't understand them and how it works there's lots to get wrong. Not trying to put you off here - only you will really know if you are ready to jump in at this level (or depth).
    merexy and rodbam like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Griffith, NSW
    Posts
    3,424
    uugh i thought eleaf learnt their lesson about shitty internal batteries after the istick 50w disaster.
    its better in the long run to get external 18650 batteries, even if you need to charge via device till you can get an external charger.

    But once again i find myself agreeing with everything Fab has said.
    fabricator4 likes this.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpy955 View Post
    Kanger Subox was a great starter kit for me. I still use mine and the flavour is great


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First congrats Jay for deciding to give up the Durrys.
    I agree the Subtank or the Toptank from Kangertech is a good in-between Mouth to Lung / Direct to Lung tank.
    The choice does come down to cost and what you want. All tanks mentioned have the option to RBA (Build own Coils) in the future.

    FYI 1.5 Ohm coils are meant for mouth to lung (like how you smoke a ciggie) and the sub ohm coils like 0.5 or below is meant for direct to lung.

    Today I build my own as I found the pre made coils would leak after 1-2 weeks of usage, with RBA when that happens I replace the cotton.

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    I meant to throw in the Pico 75 watt kit as well: Eleaf iStick PICO 75W TC Kit | VapeKing
    The Melo III tank is definitely also a sub ohm direct lung tank. The airflow is tighter than the subtank and toptank, but the coils don't work well for mouth to lung vaping in my opinion, they are too harsh.

    Hoofy makes a good point about batteries - and I should have mentioned that all of the devices I've talked about except for the T18 use 18650 batteries which you'll have to also buy.

    You also need a backup system sooner rather than later. When things go wrong you need something you can use while you're fixing/replacing/charging etc. If you buy a T18 while deciding which way to go, it's not wasted when you upgrade because it becomes a fairly cheap backup system.

    TooFar makes a good point - you can't buy nicotine in Australia, and it's the one thing that you may finish up waiting for. The fastest way to get something is Mixology in NZ (three to four days), but a lot of people jump straight into buying high strength nicotine (100mg/ml) from Hiliq and adding that to ready to vape zero nicotine liquids they buy in Australia (VapourEyes, Five Ten, GoVape, Aussie Ecigs, etc)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 08-11-16 at 08:37 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    ...You are kind of starting off at the deep end here. We normally recommend something like the Endura T18 for new vapers because of the simplicity. ...
    I agree, these kits make it SIMPLE

    I started with a EVOD tank from Kangertech pared with a generic EGO-T battery (keeps costs down, under $20 instead of $35).

    EDIT
    Almost forgot you also need a EGO charger which is included with the kits
    Last edited by chris_vaper; 08-11-16 at 08:42 AM.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,901
    I started with the Endura T18 - and it worked for me but I did wish it had more air ! ... moving on I recently passed these on to a vaper who wanted a back up kit.. but then I missed having a small form factor of a pen style kit so I have now bought a Ego AIO Pro C - and am thoroughly impressed with it as my stealthy 'out n about' mod. Leak proof, 4ml with top fill, good air control, replaceable battery, well priced coils available for both MTL and DL, two distinct drip tips, (the DL is ginormous with its own airflow control) - I am thinking it would be a versatile starting kit that could suit many different styles of vaping.... just a thought tho
    fabricator4, rodbam and ybnice like this.

  10. #10
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I meant to throw in the Pico 75 watt kit as well: Eleaf iStick PICO 75W TC Kit | VapeKing
    The Melo III tank is definitely also a sub ohm direct lung tank. The airflow is tighter than the subtank and toptank, but the coils don't work well for mouth to lung vaping in my opinion, they are too harsh.

    Hoofy makes a good point about batteries - and I should have mentioned that all of the devices I've talked about except for the T18 use 18650 batteries which you'll have to also buy.

    You also need a backup system sooner rather than later. When things go wrong you need something you can use while you're fixing/replacing/charging etc. If you buy a T18 while deciding which way to go, it's not wasted when you upgrade because it becomes a fairly cheap backup system.

    TooFar makes a good point - you can't buy nicotine in Australia, and it's the one thing that you may finish up waiting for. The fastest way to get something is Mixology in NZ (three to four days), but a lot of people jump straight into buying high strength nicotine (100mg/ml) from Hiliq and adding that to ready to vape zero nicotine liquids they buy in Australia (VapourEyes, Five Ten, GoVape, Aussie Ecigs, etc)
    Thanks for the speedy replies, I'm wanting something that I will be happy with for a while so happy to spend around $100, reason I was hoping to go for a mod and tank combo is so that in a months time I won't have to upgrade. I want to get a box as I am a fairly heavy smoker and as much as I hate to admit it I do also smoke the devils lettuce on the occasion so I think the direct to lung may be something I can handle. Main reason I was looking at the iPower is because of the larger battery as I may not be able to charge the vape during the days. Also I have been watching a fair few videos in regards to coils etc so thats also something I'd pickup fairly quick. I'' tossing up the topbox or my original combo as both are similarly priced

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 07:28 AM.