Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can not get any vapor with tc

AVF Regular

Can not get any vapor with tc

Hi,
    I recently got some ni200 26 guage wire (they did not have stainless) to build some coils on my griffin 25 and smok alien mod. I am getting barely anything because the temperature controll cut out kicks in. I could only build a single coil at 0.015 ohm with 12 wraps on 3mm, could someone please give me some guidance?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Dymo316 and RodeoRoo like this.

AVF Regular
    I never really use temp control and this may sound simple and dumb but

Have you checked the mod is set for ni200?

Are you setting your temp at room temp not on hot coils?

If it is have you tried simply raising the temp setting?

if all those are right try lowering your wattage as this can also cause rapid coil heating
    Dymo316 and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by martybaker View Post
    Hi,
    I recently got some ni200 26 guage wire (they did not have stainless) to build some coils on my griffin 25 and smok alien mod. I am getting barely anything because the temperature controll cut out kicks in. I could only build a single coil at 0.015 ohm with 12 wraps on 3mm, could someone please give me some guidance?

0.015 ohms? Thats very very low.
    Dymo316 likes this.

AVF Regular
    I know, is it the resistance of the wire or a setting wrong on my mod? I thought more coils meant higher resistance

AVF Regular
    Sorry . 15

AVF Regular
    Dont worry i knew you meant 0.15 (been there done the nickel thing eons ago when nickel was the first widely used tc wire - havent built one in about 7 months, last one was 0.09 - lowest i ever built a coil - was it earth shatteringly better than my standard 0.6-0.7 ss coils?...before you ask....no)

Long term you should definitely get some 316L SS 6/7 wraps of that on 3mm will get you around 0.6 give or take, and as a bonus you can wick ss without the threat of the bloody coils collapsing I do not miss nickel from that angle

As mentioned above

1) Make sure Ni is displayed just to the left of the battery indicators - if not, change the mode to Ni, and select SC (single coil)
    2) If its like other Smok mods, and i use one, you will need to set your watts before enabling Temp mode - Set your watts to 50 or 60 for starters (this is a ceiling, and upper limit, not what it will vape at, the temp you set controls this - i.e it will only use enough watts out of the 50/60 to get to your set temp, and then the watts will drop and change throughout the vape to keep the temp youve set).
    2) Now switch to Temp mode in the bottom left of the screen, when its enabled the display character under the Ni should be C or F instead of W (Watts)- NEVER vape nickel wire in VW (Power) mode...just dont. when this is enabled
    3) Pressing the fire button very briefly, just a tap, on most smok tc mods will read the coil ohmage - you sound like it is reading this correctly, but as noted already this has to be done at room temp, unfired (just tapped to get the reading)
    5) Start off with your temp at about 170c-180c/340f-360f and take a few hits, and increase by 5 degrees until you get to what feesl right for you. I rarely personally (and this is personally) get above 185c/370f unless its winter when i get to 200c-210c at highest. Others liek higher temps, and some flavours can benefit from lower/higher temps. but at 200c-210c/400f-410f if youre not getting a decent amount of vapor somethings up.
    6) You may wish to also check you have the latest firmware: NuMicro ISP Programming Tool for Alien--SMOKĀ® Being with you for all great vaping time!

I use a Smok TreeBox and have for over a year since i started full time temp control, and have a DNA200 mod, had an SX Mini Yihi mod, and i prefer the hit and temp control on the Smok TreeBox, so i would be worried if the Alien didnt perform well for you - Smok got it right on my little box first go, you cant update a treeBox Mini

Any further drama, maybe include as much detail as you can or some pics
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 10-11-16 at 12:25 AM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Ive been trying to find the manual to see if the menu is the same as on my TB, but no manual can be found

I have just read that the first menu at least is the same, it switches between watts (where you set the ceiling) to Temp...so that would be 3 presses of fire and then up or down to change between watts and temp modes, and then the up/down in each mode to change the watts or temp prospectively

On mine the next menu down (3 fires, and then down) is coil, where i select between Ni/Ti and SS, and at least on mine theres also the choice once the coil is selected of whether its SC (single coil) - usually default, or DC (dual coil) - selected by hitting up or down

Thats as much as can help with the menus and settings at this point.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 10-11-16 at 12:26 AM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Forgot to add:

Meanwhile: Add your location to your profile: Click Settings at the top of screen, then on following screen click Edit Profile on the left, then 3rd box from the bottom add your location. This is a requirement to buy/sell gear on here, and more importantly *may* result in getting help from one of us nearby. If im nearest i will tutor you in the fine arts of TC and disown you if you ever revert to luddite vw mode

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    I just had a similar problem with pre made Ni coils on my mod. here is my post Aspire Triton mini Ni200 coil dissapointment

I am now vaping away with TC after doing the following: Totally wrong settings. Watts wrong & temp wrong. What I did was turn the temp up to max. Then adjust the watts, when I got that correct. I brought the temp down. Bingo works like a champ now. So simple one says now to myself.

I am using 20 watts with 215c temp.
    Dymo316 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoRoo View Post
    I just had a similar problem with pre made Ni coils on my mod. here is my post Aspire Triton mini Ni200 coil dissapointment

I am now vaping away with TC after doing the following: Totally wrong settings. Watts wrong & temp wrong. What I did was turn the temp up to max. Then adjust the watts, when I got that correct. I brought the temp down. Bingo works like a champ now. So simple one says now to myself.

I am using 20 watts with 215c temp.
    Im with you on the wrong settings being the cause, but i will say that most tc mod vendors will recommend 30w minimum as the set ceiling (again this is not what the mod puts out constantly, its the limit - the mod will only use enough watts to get to the set temp)

For my 185c avg (9 months of the year), with my watts ceiling set at 50w, the mod only uses around 26w to get to the set temp and then throttles the watts back to about 14-16w for the majority of the vape

The only reason i have the 50w ceiling set is because im super lazy, and so when it gets cold i dont have to go back into the meun, switch from temp to watts mode, bump the watts up from 30 to 50, then back to the menu, change back to temp mode, achieve my set temps in the cold months. Id rather set it once, forget it, and only have to change my set temp up to 200/210c max (for me) in winter when the cicles start to form...laziness is sometimes very rational

Temp up to max on nickel wire as a starting point for troubleshooting tc is not something id recommend personally.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 10-11-16 at 12:58 AM.

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast