Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Soft button on Eleaf Pico

AVF Regular

Soft button on Eleaf Pico

The Pico has a clicky button & my missus who is in her 2nd month of vaping was saying how the button on her Pico was feeling funny. I swapped her over to the black one & it seems the button on her white one is no longer clicky. It surprised me how not having the click made the mod less easy to fire. When I look at the button it fires every time but when vaping normally the finger doesn't seem to fire it every time.
    Is there any way to get the click back?
    studiovape likes this.

AVF Regular
    It sounds the like the tactile switch under the button is now under a slight preload, maybe caused by a small amount of dirt or similar underneath the edges of the button/actuator where it meets the shell of the mod, if the tactile can't release all the way it will not get to reload it's click. I hope that makes sense.
    Other than that the only other option is the tactile is failing, and will need replacing.
    rodbam likes this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

axx
    AVF Regular
    Hi Rod,

I have a Pico which I needed to disassemble as I had a tank leak out and run through the whole unit, liquid went the whole way through and out the - + swtiches on the bottom.

Daniel takes apart the Pico in his review at 21 minutes, the button has a silicon pad between it and the button on the board. Perhaps there is something obscuring the button. If the button is squishy on the board then you may be out of luck.

You may require a driver kit with different torx / hex bits to take apart the Pico - the driver for the 2 screws on the top and bottom is a T5.

Eleaf iStick Pico and Melo III mini - DJLsb Vapes Reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoIKvdV3z7I
    rodbam likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    The Pico has a clicky button & my missus who is in her 2nd month of vaping was saying how the button on her Pico was feeling funny. I swapped her over to the black one & it seems the button on her white one is no longer clicky. It surprised me how not having the click made the mod less easy to fire. When I look at the button it fires every time but when vaping normally the finger doesn't seem to fire it every time.
    Is there any way to get the click back?

Quite often the failure of these switches is getting a bad knock. This breaks the plastic switch casing, or the welded corners that hold it together. It will often keep on working as long as everything stays in the right place, but yes it will "feel funny". (Obligatory joke: "Why won't cannibals eat comedians"? "Because they taste funny".

The key indicator is that it's lost it's click. That can only happen if the switch is smashed and is coming apart.

Unfortunately it's only an economical fix if you have the ability to change out surface mount parts and have access to the parts.

Before you pull it apart to see what is going on, order a replacement or backup unit. If the switch falls apart when you get the board out you'll be down a mod.

ETA: this was the failure mode of my second Vamo. Mods can take any number of heavy hits with no damage, but these little SMD switches are held together with four plastic welds in each corner, and they can break with a sharp knock on the switch. They start acting funny as soon as two welds on one side break, because the case no longer holds the internal plates properly. They continue to (kind of) work because it's sandwiched between the button and the board, but as soon as you take it apart the switch falls apart.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 15-11-16 at 05:53 PM.
    studiovape and rodbam like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Thanks everyone & ta axx for the link:-) I was hoping one of you would have just said squirt some silcone or wd 40 into the button & that will fix it:-)
    I will have a go at taking it apart as Daniel made it look very easy:-)
    axx likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks everyone & ta axx for the link:-) I was hoping one of you would have just said squirt some silcone or wd 40 into the button & that will fix it:-)
    I will have a go at taking it apart as Daniel made it look very easy:-)
    Good luck ;-)
    Looks like the switch on the board has an extra plastic housing around it, just to make things more fun. You may have to remove it before you can get at the switch proper. I'm hoping it's just a simple mechanical problem you can fix easily, but at least you're prepared for the worst...
    rodbam likes this.

AVF Regular
    Another option would be to replace the board, It looks easy just some basic soldering.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/5573600
    rodbam likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Another option would be to replace the board, It looks easy just some basic soldering.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/5573600
    Nice! I wonder how well it works - it would make a nice DIY module too.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Good luck ;-)
    Looks like the switch on the board has an extra plastic housing around it, just to make things more fun. You may have to remove it before you can get at the switch proper. I'm hoping it's just a simple mechanical problem you can fix easily, but at least you're prepared for the worst...
    Thanks Fab, I almost took it apart by taking out the top & bottom screws & then pushed the button in & pulled the board out of the top until the button was clear. I only had a brief play with it by pressing the button etc but I didn't remove the silicone surround. I put it back together so my wife can carry on using it but now I can see how to take it apart I will strip it down completely when I get her a new mod to use.
    That's great we can buy a replacement board for about $12 though.

AVF Regular
    That's great we can buy a replacement board for about $12 though.
    It's not an original, so it would be interesting to know how well it works and if you can update it with the latest firmware etc.

If it works as well as the Pico then it would be a great TC DIY board for projects and homemade squonkers.

ETA: Reviews say it's not firmware upgradable. The USB port has charge circuitry, but no comms capability. Still not bad for $12
    Last edited by fabricator4; 17-11-16 at 01:12 PM.
    studiovape likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast