Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Help on choosing the best wire for a beginner builder

AVF Regular

Help on choosing the best wire for a beginner builder

Hey all i have a sapor rta i have the prebuilt coils in thier atm but the wicking that came with it was ugly full of specks of god knows what. So im off to the steamery tomorrow to get some wicking. I also have a cleito rebuildable rba on the way so i will need to build some coils for that as well. Was thinking of fused clapton wire but not quite sure what to get for my first attempt at a build. Should I go for the fused clapton and if so at what gauge. Im not after a hot vape just chasing flavor really but dont want a big ramp time either. Any help in choosing would be great thx all.��
    Last edited by Danny76; 25-11-16 at 08:48 PM.

AVF Regular
    You will get some ramp up with claptons. Geek vape do a variety of wire, pre made on spools. The guys at the steamery will be able to steer you in the right direction for what you want.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    I'm no expert, but I've made a few coils. Enough that I'll re-coil just for the heck of it now I have stuff that's easy to re-coil.

I like stainless wire, but that's not a suggestion to use only stainless. Go for mid-high 20AWG wire, stainless or Kanthal, unless you must have TC then choose a wire suitable for doing that, i.e; Nickel, titanium or stainless depending on your mod and what it can handle. This size of wire isn't hair thin, it's relatively easy to handle and makes for reasonable sized coils with reasonable resistance and starting out, you don't want to go too wild or too mild.

So you'll need wire. Steam Engine main page | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators has some calculators that'll let you see what you'll need to look at building to get what you need.

You'll need some tools. A coil winder, flush cut nippers, good scissors and long nose pliers are all I use and really a bare minimum of tools you'll need. You can do without a coil winder, but even the cheapest one is far better than nothing.

Once you have those bare minimums, you should be all set to make whatever you want so long as it's simple and serviceable. And better to waste simple, cheap wire (because you will waste wire!) than some megabuck special stuff. Once you get the hang of it, start looking at the fancy stuff. Crawl before you walk before you run.

And also try and grab a pack of pre-wound coils in the resistance and material you want. Just in case you need a coil, but can't manage to make a decent one fast enough.

Just last night, while watching a movie, I recoiled/wicked 3 attys, mixed a few bottles of liquid and gave my regular gear a good proper clean and re-did the seals on one of those attys. Of the whole night's work, the coils were the easiest and fastest to get done even though I ended up throwing a couple away because they didn't work how I expected.

Basically, learn how to make a coil OR just buy pre-made coils and slap them in. Either way, the juice doesn't care.

Stu.
    Danny76 and rockmoose like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I would go for some 28 and 26 Kanthal for starts, they are so versatile. I personally think claptons are overrated - I only use them in drippers generally and sometimes I just go for 26 kanthal - 24 is also a good choice for drippers and gennies.
    Tara and Danny76 like this.

AVF Regular
    ...and to add, cotton wick *should* be a bit speckly, and off-white. That's because it's unbleached. If it's snow white it means it's bleached and will probably taste like shyte...

Absolute easiest wire to coil is probably correctly annealed 28g Kanthal A1. Just about coils itself, but whether it's suitable for you...

ETA: lots of "probably's". YMMV.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 25-11-16 at 11:45 PM.
    Danny76 likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    That is one cool app (steam engine ).
    fabricator4 and Schtoo like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny76 View Post
    That is one cool app (steam engine ).
    Damned handy, innit? I didn't know what wires I wanted, ran a few through that and bingo, ended up with a mess of wire that is all working out pretty well and some for the future as well.

And decided I needed some pre-made stuff, just in case...

Good luck. And yeah, the wicking should be speckly, although I wonder if it's speckly to 'look' organic or they're leaving the specks in because they're actually hard to get rid of. Either way off white is the right colour. I've used some of Mrs. Schtoo's pure white ones and they do have their own 'perfume' to them...

Stu.
    Danny76 likes this.

AVF Regular
    So white white is no good hey, means its bleached yeah. Bleached =bad taste?. The one i have is white as brand new pair of socks. Have done some more reading and yes ur right the specks are normal just didn't expect that. Im going for premade wire not going to be bothered wrapping my own claptons if thats what i go for, way to much effort. Now i need to get myself a coil master kit. Geez u can spend some coin on vapingif u get into it can't you . But even still way cheaper than the analogs.

AVF Regular
    I tried claptons for my first RDA build but it didn't really go well for me so now I just make plain Kanthal A1 22g or 24g coils. I experiment between 5 and 9 turns.

At the moment in my RDTA i'm running 316L SS 24g 5 turn coils and they work really well. Don't buy a heap of wire until you work out what works best for you I've got two rolls of Kanthal clapton wire i'll never use.

Also I picked up some dodgy looking cellulose wicking material which I didn't like the look of so I bought some organic Japanese cotton which works really well.
    Danny76 likes this.

AVF Regular
    keyword: beginner

start and practise with a round wire and coil it by hand with a screwdriver. The coil diameter varies per atty.
    I began coiling with Kanthal and prefer 24 to 26 ga because they're not springy. Anything higher requires annealing as I find with 28 ga.
    Kanthal nowadays taste metallic after switching to Stainless Steel. SS offers a clean taste and ready for temp. control.

Kanthal is cheap but SS will future proof your needs. I have a 3 rolls of 3 gauges of kanthal that are still 60-70% unused.
    SS round and the basic SS clapton wire is what I would recommend to start with.

A coil jig is great for an effortless and tidy contact coiling but get the new ones with notch for large hybrid wires.
    *hybrid - my term for aliens, tigers, caterpillar,fused claptons and the like. Even thick ribbon wire.
    A jig also has less wire wastage as its easier to grip the wire. I use a jig all the time until yesterday as I'm trying out hybrids.
    Danny76 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast