AVF Regular

Trying out clapton coils with 32, 34, 36, 38 and 40 AWG outer wrap.... later 46 AWG

Disclosure: I sell coils.

I did some Fused 28x2 / 40 AWG coils a few weeks back and I was impressed by the flavour coming out of this build. Ramp up time is noticeably shorter than with the standard 32 AWG wrap as there is less wire mass to heat up.

Picture below shows a clapton wire with a 24 AWG core for (left to right) 32, 34, 36 and 38 AWG. The coil on the right is the SS 316L 28x2/40, 7.5 wraps, 3mm ID, 0.24 ohms resistance for a dual coil build. You can click on the picture for a larger image.

One thing though with working with higher gauge wires (36-up) is the wire breaks if the tension is too tight. And you do use up a lot of wire - I was only able to make 11 of the fused clapton coils using a 30 meter spool of 40 AWG wire - comes out to around 2.7 meters of wrap per coil.

Flavour, though, is great. As I thought the effect was psychological for me, I gave some to friends to try and they report great flavour on it too. I've ordered some 46 AWG Kanthal wire and when it comes in, I'll post some coil builds for that.

According to Wikipedia, the diameter of human hair varies from 0.017 to 0.18 millimeters. Below is a table for AWG wire diameter:
    AWG Diameter (mm)
    32 0.20
    34 0.16
    36 0.13
    38 0.10
    40 0.08
    46 0.04
    hair 0.017-0.18

Other pictures (same arrangement as above, just different shots):

AVF Regular

Wire mass values

So, I went to Steam Engine to get the Wire mass for 100mm SS 316L Clapton wire.

The constant values used are:
    Inner diameter 3 mm
    No. of wraps 0
    Leg length 100 mm
    Wrap spacing 0.05 mm
    Wire build Clapton
    Core wire material & AWG SS 316L, 24 AWG
    Wrap wire material SS 316L, AWG varies

Results for wire mass are:
    Wrap AWG Surface area (mm˛) Mass (mg)
    32 887.2 457.64
    34 787.44 364.68
    36 703.74 302.04
    38 632.29 259.36
    40 568.85 229.4
    46 420.08 184.83

This validates my observation of a faster ramp up time due to the decreased mass using higher gauged wire but less vapour production due to the decrease in surface area for juice vapourisation. I don't understand, though, why the flavour perception is better with the higher gauge wire. Does anyone have an answer to why?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jobics View Post
    Does anyone have an answer to why?
    My feeling is that the lower gauge clapton wire can heat more unevenly. It could be because it holds more liquid on the inside so the dynamics of heating/vaporisation/cooling are quite different and possibly a bit random as liquid gets ejected from the core.

I think the flavour with claptons made with a 32g wrap has less flavour than round wire. It makes sense to me that higher gauge wire, being finer, will hold a little less juice and probably has more chance of heating evenly and consistently.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I think the flavour with claptons made with a 32g wrap has less flavour than round wire. It makes sense to me that higher gauge wire, being finer, will hold a little less juice and probably has more chance of heating evenly and consistently.
    Hmm, for me, any clapton has more flavour than plain round wire. But, then again, as they say with e-juices, taste can be subjective. To illustrate, I had a customer who wanted some custom made SS 316L coils. In my chats with him, he said that he gets the metallic taste with Kanthal and Nichrome so I told him I'd be sending him some coils to try which might or might not contain those materials. I sent him clapton coils with 1) all 316L materials, 2) Kanthal coils and 3) 316L core and Nichrome wrap.

He used all those coils and said that they were all SS as he didn't get any metallic taste. I'm not saying that everyone who says that Kanthal/Nichrome tastes metallic is imagining it but, probably, a substantial portion are.

AVF Regular
    Nice coils! I wish I could make anything other than plain single wire coils