Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Schtoo

Thread: Toptank mini leakage woes.

AVF Regular

Toptank mini leakage woes.

Hi All,

Just got a Toptank mini, and it's pretty good especially the RBA coil it comes with and how easy it is to make tick.

But I've got leakage issues with it. The top cap leaks a little, not always. I've had leakage through the coil due to slightly 'off' wicking, but that's (L)user error. Maybe a little through the bottom seal.

I've replaced the seals (got a seal pack with it separate) which cured some of the leakage, but the top cap leak remains.

I'm not overfilling, and not over tightening so far as I know. Is leakage a 'normal' thing with this otherwise pretty good tank or am I missing something? It's not falling out, just a few spots occasionally.

Just wondering. Looking at it I can kind of see what might be causing the top seal 'weep' if there's a little juice in the wrong spot it'll get pushed out, but I'm not sure that's the problem. There's a relief behind the seal that should catch any leaks past that seal. Or am I missing a seal there too? It wasn't on the tank and it wasn't in the seal kit. And yes, it's a genuine tank.

Also, if anyone's got a decent coil setup for MTL on this thing. It chokes down airflow well enough for that, but I've not hit the sweet spot on the coil. If it's not going to work for that, that's ok too but I want to make this thing work as best it can, if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

(And if anyone's got a way to deal with rodents in my roof that don't involve the cat we don't have, I'm all ears. I want to stick the dog up there to put the fear of gad into the long toothed ^&%$^% but Mrs. Schtoo won't let me. I know the dog wants to, my son wants to see what happens and my daughter, well if it's not the dog she's the only one who can fit!)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Hi All,

Just got a Toptank mini, and it's pretty good especially the RBA coil it comes with and how easy it is to make tick.

But I've got leakage issues with it. The top cap leaks a little, not always. I've had leakage through the coil due to slightly 'off' wicking, but that's (L)user error. Maybe a little through the bottom seal.

I've replaced the seals (got a seal pack with it separate) which cured some of the leakage, but the top cap leak remains.

I'm not overfilling, and not over tightening so far as I know. Is leakage a 'normal' thing with this otherwise pretty good tank or am I missing something? It's not falling out, just a few spots occasionally.

Just wondering. Looking at it I can kind of see what might be causing the top seal 'weep' if there's a little juice in the wrong spot it'll get pushed out, but I'm not sure that's the problem. There's a relief behind the seal that should catch any leaks past that seal. Or am I missing a seal there too? It wasn't on the tank and it wasn't in the seal kit. And yes, it's a genuine tank.

Also, if anyone's got a decent coil setup for MTL on this thing. It chokes down airflow well enough for that, but I've not hit the sweet spot on the coil. If it's not going to work for that, that's ok too but I want to make this thing work as best it can, if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

(And if anyone's got a way to deal with rodents in my roof that don't involve the cat we don't have, I'm all ears. I want to stick the dog up there to put the fear of gad into the long toothed ^&%$^% but Mrs. Schtoo won't let me. I know the dog wants to, my son wants to see what happens and my daughter, well if it's not the dog she's the only one who can fit!)
    If it's only a drop or two, is is possible that it's liquid that gets on the thread/o-ring that only seeps out later? Try wiping the top after filling and see if that helps.

Yeah these toptank/subtank designs are great all-rounders and the RBA design is extremely good.
    For the coils I've settled on winding on a 2.5mm rod but I mostly go DL. If you use a 3.0mm coil you'll find it will restrict the airflow more, and may increase the velocity of the air over the coil for better MTL performance. Don't leave the cotton too long in this case - cut it level with the top of the RBA (without the top section on), then use tweezers to push it down and arrange the cotton against the juice holes.

Best position for the coil I've found is centred over the air flow hole, and quite close to it. Putting the coil in so it hangs down is normally enough, then lift it up slightly so it doesn't short against the bottom of the deck as you tighten the leads down. The beauty of the post design is that you can position the coil before you tighten the leads down fully, and once they are tight they don't work loose (not in my experience, anyway). For my next coil I'm going to be taking the leads off at 180 degrees from each other (extra half wrap) and doing a right angle bend in the wire so they stick out straight from each other.

16 watts seems to work great for a single coil MTL - larger coil might require slightly more. Try it a little lower though, and take a longer drag.

For rodent removal sans cat, we use Ratsak, and the local councils are supposed to provide it free if you ask (something they don't advertise). The beauty of it is that they leave the house in search of water so they don't die in the roof space (that's very, very bad). If you leave them alone and if they have a food supply (eg dog's food if biscuits etc are left available) they can breed up very quickly, then you have dozens of the little buggers. I'm assuming they are the European Black rats same as takes over in most parts of the world? They are prolific breeders and quite cunning. If they over-breed and food runs out they eat each other.

ETA: police the area outside before you let the dog out. If it finds a poisoned dead rat and eats it, the result could be quite disastrous.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 28-11-16 at 08:31 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    The issue I found with the RBA on the TopTank is if there is too much cotton you get dry hits, too little and the tank leaks.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the help.

Chris, I can see how that happens, but somehow I've managed to work out wicking without even trying. Everything I've wicked lately is about perfect and no leaks, save for the operator not setting up the wick right. Adjusted the same wick, no more leaks there.

Fab, I think that might have been it too. Still, there's a nice groove between the top and the seal which should catch anything that's not where it should be. I did clean it out last night and it's not leaking at the moment, so it'll be something to keep an eye on.

I'm using a 2.5mm ID coil at the moment, never considered that a 3mm coil would also block off airflow. I'm coming off a year of old EVOD which have very tight draw, but am adding airflow as I get used to these newer and far better tanks. If I DL, the Cleito is the weapon for that, but it also chews through juice while you watch. Trial and error I suppose will sort it out. Knowing myself I'll do too much, and then too little and see-saw for an age working it out.

The rodents, might be field mice. They're common around here, don't see many rats. While the rat is tough and durable, it's also big and has 4 real predators that'll tear a rat to pieces with no trouble. Full sized owls at night, weasels, snakes and hawks during the day. The mice are native, so manage to survive better and you see plenty of them relatively speaking. They're not in the house, only doing something in the ceiling.

The dog, she's a native too and compact sized so ideal for the ceiling. Also a mad hunter type of thing.

I've looked for where they're getting in, but can't find anywhere.

If anyone's wondering, Japanese ceiling spaces are nothing like the ones in Oz. First, there's no way to get around up there. Little weight bearing 'stuff' up there you can get to. The timbers are much bigger, but fewer of them. And second, they're clean. Really REALLY clean. I saw one dead spider and a few bug casings. That was it. No dust, junk or spider webs. The space is sealed (which is why I can't work out where they're coming in) so not much gets up there. Almost every ceiling space I've been in in Oz (plenty of them) was dirty and filthy, but you can get stuff done up there which is better.

Mrs. Schtoo says trap them, and I'll send her off to get traps because if I get kill traps, she might not like it and if I get live traps, she might ask why I didn't get the kill traps, so I'll leave it to her. Traps don't do anything without also blocking access to where they're going but that's what she says so that's what we'll do.

If we get live traps, I'm not sure what I'll be doing with live rodents. The ocker in me says kill them, but I don't like killing things if I don't have to.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Mrs. Schtoo says trap them, and I'll send her off to get traps because if I get kill traps, she might not like it and if I get live traps, she might ask why I didn't get the kill traps, so I'll leave it to her. Traps don't do anything without also blocking access to where they're going but that's what she says so that's what we'll do.

If we get live traps, I'm not sure what I'll be doing with live rodents. The ocker in me says kill them, but I don't like killing things if I don't have to.
    Smart man LOL. I'm at the point now where I just ask, and take the inevitable flak which is certain arrive. :-D This way when it's still wrong, I get to say "well I DID ask" LOL

Years ago (decades - more than I like to think about) my mother got one of those disposable sticky mouse traps. The idea was that it trapped the mouse on a sticky pad and you could pick the trap up and put it in the bin without touching the mouse. Well I though no mouse could possible be that stupid so I put it in the kitchen for her between the fridge and the cupboard.

About 10PM I became aware of a mouse-like screaming coming from the kitchen. Sure enough there was a mouse stuck on the pad. They must struggle to get off, and get stuck even more. The poor thing was going out of it's mind with fear, hence the screaming (and I can only describe it as that).

I thought to remove it from the pad and release it some distance from the house but it was completely impossible without doing the mouse some serious injury, so I had to chop it's neck quickly. bloody awful trap and I decided never to use another one ever again; I haven't seen these sorts of traps since. Supposed to be easy for the squeamish to use... They didn't think that through very well did they? You are supposed to drop a screaming mouse into the rubbish bin and leave it there.

Regarding the Kanger tanks: I do mostly use them for DL and have three. They are more efficient and economical than some other stuff, and still perform reasonably well.

I have other stuff I use: Melo 3 (leaks), Goblin mini 2 (cow to build, leaks, juice hog), Theorum (juice hog), and some other RDA's. Mostly I seem to come back to the Kangers and the RDA's. I haven't done my own build on the Melo 3 RBA that I got yet, the leaking out the air port is from the factory coil.

I still think the Kanger RBA deck is one of the easiest builds out of anything.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_vaper View Post
    The issue I found with the RBA on the TopTank is if there is too much cotton you get dry hits, too little and the tank leaks.
    It's funny, but you know I've *never* had a problem with it, and I even take it in my pocket when I get on a plane. Before I built it the first time I watched a video of a build where the wicks were cut almost level with the top when you put the outer tube on it. I always do that and make sure the ends of the wick are pushed down to the holes and there's no spaces visible in the juice hole. I squeeze the wick together so most of it is front of the hole. It even works fine for dual coils. I've since switched to using Rayon but I never got any dry hits with cotton while there was juice in the tank.

There was an older RBA section (on the Subtank) that came out first - It had smaller juice holes. I think it was OK but I haven't used that one.

AVF Regular
    I found that using 3mm diameter coils worked best for me. Also I use Kendo cotton which is already fluffy pull of a bit place in coil, put on the lower cap line up cotton with the top of that cap trim then use tweezers to place under the screw thread line presto no leaking and no dry hits.

AVF Regular
    I put the trap decision to her, and she says "gokiburi hoi-hoi", which means 'cockroach trap' as in the sticky ones. I told her the mouse die on those, and she said "can't be helped". Not one of those gilded lilies is she, she'll muck in without a thought and knows getting rid of meeses probably isn't going to end well for the meeses.

Still want to give the dog a shot. If she can expand her job description from 'obnoxious over sensitive doorbell' to 'vermin control' that'd be nice. She can't make it to attack dog, not when a mean kitty could outweigh her and kitty comes standard with sharper weapons.

The toptank is not bad at all. Not endeared so much with the pre-built coils, they seem to be DL oriented which I'm right for. The RBA bit works and is pretty easy to build on, just need to get rid of the cheezy screws.

The alternative MTL I have came on an eGo ONE Mega, and closed up it's a tight pull, but barely cracked it's about perfect and opened up it'll do a decent faux DL as well. Only complaint is the tank alone isn't cheap and could be better. The rebuildable coils in them are the standard grommet thing, but done well so it's stupid easy to re-coil and re-wick.

As for the wicking on the Kanger RBA, I'm using a split sheet of puff, cut to about stamp sized. Rolling to fit through the coil, trimmed to maybe an inch long, fluffed and tucked into the cap making sure to cover the holes properly. Seems to work just fine and today it's been smooth sailing and no leaks. Pretty sure it's leaving anything more than a smear near the seal is being pushed out of the cap and causing the leak. Still seems strange that instead of taking the easy route into the groove, it's pushing out the top.

Anyway, seems to have solved the problem. Was mostly wondering if I was missing something about it or not. Once the teething problems are sorted, it's a pretty good tank and I might find another one. Maybe.

Next project, re-casing my eleaf mod.

Stu.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Update!

No leaks of late, must be liquid up too high on the sealing area pushing out as I'm keeping that area clean and nothing coming out. Still don't know why it decides to come out instead of hiding in the groove.

Flipped the coil, then also realised the cap screws off the RBA coil, so I can tweak the wick in-situ. Now has a nice, relatively tight draw to it which is what I wanted so now it's very good for what I wanted it for. Actually, it's ^%$^% lovely.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, muchly helpful!

Stu.