Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Mods, batteries, and chargers...

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Mods, batteries, and chargers...

Hi Guys,

Im loving my new COV mini volt but i know that realistically once the internal battery dies that my mod is useless. So now im starting to think about my next mod. I like the mini volt cause its so small and the battery life is decent cause i MTL vape at about 13 watts and dont go through too much battery. But what would be a good mod to run on a single 18650 battery thats still small? I have read good things about the eleaf pico 75w but i wondered what else was out there.

Also what would be a safe way to charge 18650's? Are there chargers that have cutoff features built into them so i dont have to watch them charge like a hawk? Are there chargers that allow you to safely charge your batterys overnight? Etc

Thanks in advance guys...

AVF Regular
    Yep the Pico is about as small as you can get that still takes an 18650, it was going to be my suggestion. It looks like a great little mod.

Apart from that I'm using a couple of VTC minis. The new version is the VT two or something. I like 'em.

I'd recommend an analysing charger, because it gives you a measure of the capacity to charge the battery. Cheapest would be a Soshine SC7 for less than $20 from Fasttech (You need to add a 12V 1A PS cause they don't do Aus plugs).

I'm currently looking at the Xtar VP4 plus Dragon which is a four bay analysing charger that does heaps of stuff and looks very good. Might be my next purchase... but from an Australian source (might have a different model number in Aus)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 29-11-16 at 12:34 AM.
    Vapntime, Mistic Lady and Bate like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    for chargers, soshine, xtar, efest [don't buy their batteries, just chargers]

features outlined by fab will let you monitor battery health over the months you have it

other features to look for are how fast it charges. 1amp charge rate is preferable. The soshine i have steps down to 1/2 an amp for the last quarter volt or so, which prolongs battery health, also does not pulse current, again good for battery health

Are there chargers that allow you to safely charge your batterys overnight?
    lots of people do it. Whether they should is another issue

in terms of mods, you may want to look at cage mods aka stealth or side by side mods, where the tank recesses into the mod, making for very compact
    Mistic Lady and Bate like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Pico, efest charger and 1 amp charge gets my vote. Charging over night, that is up to you, I don't do it...
    DogMan and Bate like this.

AVF Regular
    Ok, here's a link on chargers. Astonishing amount of info.

Batteries and chargers

Your plan to 'set and forget' overnight means you need to make sure whichever charger you get actually shuts off when the charge is finished.

Something with a very low 'float' charge current when the battery is full should be ok. The battery needs to be able to dissipate this current as heat, so the less current the better. Some chargers simply shut off completely which is good. Some actually drain the battery slightly when the charge is finished which is also fine. If the charger ever puts in more than the smallest current to a battery that's already full, the battery can't get rid of the excess power and that makes for a ticking time bomb. Literally, which is why you'll see plenty of folks here saying "I won't do that".

I won't do that, and I've spent more on batteries and chargers than a lot of folks here have spent on all their vaping gear combined.

(We had chargers that were fully 4 figures in price, battery packs and smaller chargers into solid 3 figures. Lotta money tied up in that stuff. My dad still has a lot of that grade stuff, and he won't leave a battery on charge when it's finished.)

So when folks tell you "I won't do that" it's not being scary or funny, it's because these batteries aren't toys.

If you must leave a battery on overnight, it'll probably be ok. But I'd avoid it if at all possible. These batteries are very energy dense but not very robust unlike the reasonably durable NiMH and by comparison bombproof Nicad. All those nickel things would do is spit and spurt and you had to try really hard to get them to do that. Lithium batteries, they just need to get a little too warm or a little too much or too little voltage or a little too much current shoved into or dragged out of them (makes them hot) and they'll scream their displeasure loud enough for anyone to hear. And if you don't hear it, the neighbours might when the fire truck comes to put out your on fire house.

The good part of all this is that we get energy dense batteries that demand respect and demand some battery literacy, and being adept in something outside your usual interests is never a bad thing.

Stu.
    DogMan, rockmoose and Bate like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    If you must leave a battery on overnight, it'll probably be ok. But I'd avoid it if at all possible. These batteries are very energy dense but not very robust unlike the reasonably durable NiMH and by comparison bombproof Nicad. All those nickel things would do is spit and spurt and you had to try really hard to get them to do that. Lithium batteries, they just need to get a little too warm or a little too much or too little voltage or a little too much current shoved into or dragged out of them (makes them hot) and they'll scream their displeasure loud enough for anyone to hear. And if you don't hear it, the neighbours might when the fire truck comes to put out your on fire house.
    To be fair on the current battery technology, if you choose safe chemistry batteries like IMR and INR (Lithium Manganese and Hybrid) and avoid Lipos (lithium polymer) and ICR (cobolt) technologies you can increase your safety factor significantly. The chances of an actual fire if they fail are quite small (as in miniscule) and they are less likely to react as quickly.

My main concerns are with devices that have built in batteries because the user probably doesn't know what battery chemistry has been used, and has probably based the purchase decision on capacity. Manufacturers choose batteries that have the larger energy density for less cost, which is lipo (not rigid) and ICR (rigid). I certainly don't recommend leaving such devices unattended while charging. I only have one like this, and it's the eLeaf iCare.
    Bate likes this.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have done a bit of research and the nitecore intellicharger i4 and the Efest luc e4 look good to be. Both chargers have over charge protection and cutout when the battery is charged. Also the efest luc can charge at 0.5 amp 1.0 amp and 2.0 amp so it looks great. How long does it take to charge your batteries? I am liking what i see about the pico as far as a new mod goes. Now to decide what battery to buy, any suggestions?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bate View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I have done a bit of research and the nitecore intellicharger i4 and the Efest luc e4 look good to be. Both chargers have over charge protection and cutout when the battery is charged. Also the efest luc can charge at 0.5 amp 1.0 amp and 2.0 amp so it looks great. How long does it take to charge your batteries? I am liking what i see about the pico as far as a new mod goes. Now to decide what battery to buy, any suggestions?
    If you charge at half an amp it will take a quite a few hours. one amp and it will be much better. I don't think charging at two amps is a good idea. The rate you charge your batteries will have an impact on battery life. Check out Supersports600 for batteries. I personally use the Sony VTC-5 batteries in all my mods with no problem. They come in sets of two with a case and I charge and use the batteries in sets.

I have the Nitecore D4 charger which can charge 4 batteries at once (good when you have three or four battery mods). I have two sets of batteries for each of my mods so I can just chuck a set in the charger and let it go for however long it takes and put the charged set in the mod to keep going.

With the Nitecore D4 it will charge at 750mA if you're only charging two batteries and will drop to 375ma if you're charging four. But like I said I have a spare set for each mod so I just chuck them on charge and walk away.
    Last edited by toofargone; 29-11-16 at 11:17 AM.
    Bate likes this.

Also have you guys seen the Innokin Coolfire IV 18650 TC?
    Seems to be very similar to the eleaf pico in stats and takes 1 18650 battery. I wonder how to pico and coolfire compete side by side.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bate View Post
    The charge/discharge cycles on lithium batteries is very efficient, so if you have a 2500 mAh battery and charge it at half an amp, it will take a bit over five hours. A one amp charge is OK, but I would avoid the 2 amp charge with the current battery technology personally. The "bit over..." is the inefficiency which will be less at lower charge currents. Maybe 5% at 1 amp...

Charging at higher currents generates heat which damages the batteries. The cooler your batteries the longer they will last. That goes for ambient temperatures too, but not below 0C.
    Bate likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast