Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By fabricator4

Thread: Help with Batteries

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Help with Batteries

Hi all ,

I finally order my new Smok Gpriv and baby beast tank which both will be waiting for me when I fly home next week.
    But its going to be useless unless I buy some batteries for it.
    I'm unsure on what batteries to buy though as I don't really understand the differnces between them all.

So far from what I have read is stay away from the cheap and nasty's. Not too sure what is considered cheap though and what brands are considered cheap.
    So I was looking at the Samsung 25R 18650 but I find two different type a Samsung 25R and Samsung INR 25R. They both state that they are 18650 but I'm not sure on what I'm suppose to be buying.

Ive also read a lot about not leaving Batteries to charge unattended , so just curious what the average time would be to charge two 18650 batteries.

AVF Regular
    Check out Supersports600 really good customer service and he doesn't sell garbage. I personally use Sony VCT5 in all my mods up to 220W and have never had a problem with them.

If you're going to be vaping high wattage with low ohm coils you'll definitely want batteries with a high amperage eg 25A to 30A. The VCT5 is rated to 25A.

Depending on the charger and charge rate it could take up to 6 hours to charge from near empty. I would recommend buying two sets of batteries so you can have one fully charged and ready to go while you're charging the other set.

Nitecore are a good brand of charger. I have the D4 which can charge up to four batteries at once. Charging two batteries will charge at 750mA and four batteries will charge at 375mA so it will be a bit slower with four batteries.

I wouldn't leave to go to work or go shopping or sleep while charging batteries but shouldn't be a problem if you're around the house somewhere.
    Last edited by toofargone; 29-11-16 at 11:29 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbram View Post
    Hi all ,

I finally order my new Smok Gpriv and baby beast tank which both will be waiting for me when I fly home next week.
    But its going to be useless unless I buy some batteries for it.
    I'm unsure on what batteries to buy though as I don't really understand the differnces between them all.

So far from what I have read is stay away from the cheap and nasty's. Not too sure what is considered cheap though and what brands are considered cheap.
    So I was looking at the Samsung 25R 18650 but I find two different type a Samsung 25R and Samsung INR 25R. They both state that they are 18650 but I'm not sure on what I'm suppose to be buying.

Ive also read a lot about not leaving Batteries to charge unattended , so just curious what the average time would be to charge two 18650 batteries.
    The 25R *is* an INR battery. It's the same thing. It's a good choice, a true 20 amp battery that will work safely in all regulated mods, and INR is a safe chemistry. They can come in both a blue and a green wrap.

Any of the safe chemistry batteries recommend by Battery Mooch are good

I notice that he's taken the Aspire ICR battery out of this list since September.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 30-11-16 at 02:28 PM.
    Fatman and rockmoose like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks for Help guys ,
    Ended up with 4 x Samsung 25R and a Nitecore Charger.
    Does anybody know if the batteries are charged when they are new or will I need to charge straight away ?

AVF Regular
    They have a minimal charge. I charge mine before use.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for Help guys ,
    Does anybody know if the batteries are charged when they are new or will I need to charge straight away ?
    They come out of the factory with 50% charge, and will be less when you get them depending on how long they have been in storage.

They may not give the full capacity until the second charge.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for Help guys ,
    They're not, as mentioned.

Also, if you decide to put them away and not use them for a time, you'll want to have them at about a 20-50% charge, more toward the 20%. Fully charged tends to hurt them a little, and you may want to top them up occasionally to 20-50% every few months or so to keep them happy.

If you don't use one at all, it should be fine for a year or more unused.

Basically, use them or don't touch them. Don't use them and leave them.

(There's an actual storage charge level for lithium batteries, but I'm not sure what it is on these 18650 type things. For lipo it's 3.8-3.9v which works out to about 20% charge.)

Hope that helps, even if you don't need to know.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    They're not, as mentioned.

Also, if you decide to put them away and not use them for a time, you'll want to have them at about a 20-50% charge, more toward the 20%. Fully charged tends to hurt them a little, and you may want to top them up occasionally to 20-50% every few months or so to keep them happy.

If you don't use one at all, it should be fine for a year or more unused.

Basically, use them or don't touch them. Don't use them and leave them.

(There's an actual storage charge level for lithium batteries, but I'm not sure what it is on these 18650 type things. For lipo it's 3.8-3.9v which works out to about 20% charge.)

Hope that helps, even if you don't need to know.

Stu.
    For these lithium ion batteries it's 50%, being almost ideal at this level. Below that the plates dissociate slowly over time; the lower the voltage the worse it gets, the faster the self discharge... and so on. Once it drops too far the battery is not recoverable.