Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: DNA mod recommendations

AVF Regular

DNA mod recommendations

Hey guys, looking at getting my first Evolv DNA mod. Just wanted to hear from the DNA users on this forum what they've found to be a quality mod. Been reading up a lot checking reviews and the different ones out there, though I never fully trust the reviews online so wanted to here your thoughts as users! Post a picture of your favourite if you'd like to tempt me with your shiny.

Main things I would be looking for:
    DNA75 or below not a high wattage vaper so no real benefit in going higher from what I've read
    Definitely external batteries
    The ability to use both 18650 or 26650 is a plus
    but mainly just good build quality and solid af as I'm looking for something that'll last.

cheers everyone

A government is a body of people, usually notibly ungoverned. - Derrial Book

AVF Regular
    I have a Laude dr75 and a Hcigar vt75 nano both are DNA75 chips and both 18650 batteries.
    The Laude is by far the best of the 2 and a lot cheaper than the Hcigar but the hcigar is better to hold for me being a bit smaller.

One thing I do know no matter which DNA mod you go for you will be happy they really are good to use
    Last edited by captive; 09-12-16 at 10:23 PM.
    singlefished and RogueTomato like this.

AVF Regular
    Generally i would recommend Lost Vapes gear, being the owner of a Lost Vapes Efusion DNA200, extremely well made

They do the Therion DNA75 of which im not a fan of visually, because it looks like, with its added "features" panels, some sort of throwback to 1970's car interiors...i hope they never make something this hateful again and return to the simple functional beauty of the Efusion series

Ive commented on the Therion before, in my seminal masterpiece discussing design criteria here (prepare yourself for some subtle commentary):

Make It Simple, Make It Well (why i hate most box mods & how not to make fugly ones)

If you want a 18650/26650 capable mod particularly, my vote goes to the Hcigar VT75, its not butt ugly like the Therion either...

For some more ideas, see here: DNA75 Mods That Rock! A Complete list of Evolve's DNA 75 Box Mods!

The Thinkvape Box looks like something KangerTech or Vape Forward would make, so it would earn an entry on the eternal shitlist of my unbalanced mind as well as the Therion

A special mention to the SMY DNA75...which is just a mind bloggling display of mental defiency writ large, the face of an Evic VTC Mini and the arse of a Vapresso Target, i only wish i had two oral cavities so i could vomit from both of them...

Id give the Hotcig DX75 a good consideration as well as the HCigar, which would be my pic...i had a HCigar DNA40 box and i loved it, well...untill the chip died, and then i got a replacement, and that one died, but the box design itself, a thing of goodness.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 09-12-16 at 10:37 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by captive View Post
    I have a Laude dr75 and a Hcigar vt75 nano both are DNA75 chips and both 18650 batteries.
    The Laude is by far the best of the 2 and a lot cheaper than the Hcigar but the hcigar is better to hold for me being a bit smaller.

One thing I do know no matter which DNA mod you go for you will be happy they really are good to use
    That Laude DR75 is just a rebadged SMY DNA75......
    singlefished likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Another point i would make is this

Do you really want a DNAxx powered device?
    If No: The why did you post? And why are you making every post ive made here tonight redudnant, how dare you!
    If Yes: Are you getting it for temp control?
    If No: Then youre going to pay a premium just to use a tc mod in kanthal mode and so, youre a bit of a nutter
    If Yes: Then consider that the most fugly DNA75 box here starts at $115, and the range doesnt get prettier till you get to $150 (if not) $170

At that point id rather buy (nearly) 2 x Smok tc mods (H-Priv/G-Priv/G320 etc) and get on with life, because as ive pointed out a few times, after having tried all the major tc chips..SX/DNA40/200 my Smok TreeBox does it better than those, which is why i use it over the Efusion DNA200 every day. I love the DNA200 box for its design and reliability, but the DNA200 has, and i will say it, too many options, and the resistance refining, unless you lock your ohms, will get on your tits quicker than a room full of screaming toddlers. Smok gear reads the resistance once after you power it up and then leaves you be to vape, which is why i love it. The SX was the fucking most annoying and unreliable, you had to contact the bereau of meterology and get an ambient temp for your location (not really , this is for dramatic purpose, but only just) set the temp offset to that, then hold down two buttons to read the coil res, and then fiddle with your temp and then vape. And you needed to do this a lot if you moved around like i did. I was quite happy to send my SX mod to that foul creature in france with the homosexual cat...

I will also point out that the experience you get when hitting the temp limit is from worst to best goes thusly (my experience):

SX - you know when you hit the limit on this because you can hear it (if you have good hearing) and it rattlesnakes and turns your vape to poo

DNA200 - worst that will happen is that you will get anaemia/dragons breath (usually by not having the correct profile for SS set (better default ss profiles and ss handling now) and/or good ss wire, or you build ridiculously low

Smok - the only time i know ive hit the limit is when i see the screen change, either by the amount of light emitted if im holding it screen away form me, or the status message about temp protection if im holding it towards me...theres no change in the vapour itself.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 09-12-16 at 11:08 PM.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    That Laude DR75 is just a rebadged SMY DNA75......
    yes it is and about 1/2 the price
    singlefished and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    1. Yes and if no - for a laugh
    2. Yes and other reasons
    3. No
    4. Good call

I know you're a big fan of Smok gear and good to know for the future the quality vape you've gotten from them. The one thing that I cannot stand with a lot of the new Smok mods is the palm sized firing button. I'm not sure what it is but that turns me off of them to no end. That and I'm not a fan of dual 18650 mods, because I'm too lazy or busy to marry the batteries and rotate correctly but I know I'd get all OCD about it if I had that set up.

I do love my treebox, though I find it often asks me if its a new coil even when nothing has changed, but mostly with my favourite RTA along with odd resistance readings (and yes checked tank on three other mods and tab all show up fine and all threads and contacts cleaned drives me mad) yeah that SX sounds like a bit of a hassle. Ha ha ha, well hopefully his happy with his SX and homosexual cat then.

Cheers for letting me know your experience with them I'll definitely take that into consideration. Big draw for me was the ability to change power curve settings though I'm sure there are non DNA mods with this ability as well as the customisation that escribe makes available. But a DNA chip and squonking are my last two frontiers to test before I settle down into my vape -style-

A government is a body of people, usually notibly ungoverned. - Derrial Book

AVF Regular
    Plus one for the SMY SDNA75 /Laude DR75 devices.

SMY SDNA: The Laude is a Cigabuy exclusive (see Gardens thread in vendor general) and as Style said is a rebrand of the SMY which costs a few dollars more (but better colour options....). I have the SMY model and it is great quality... fit's real nice in my hand compared to the iStick Pico which it replaced and I found the Pico too uncomfortable to hold and fire and just too restrictive with the size of atty you can put on it. The SMY has been "tuned" by Daniel (DJLSBVapes) - tuning meaning it has all his recommended TCR settings, etc.... it works awesome straight out the box in whatever mode you like.

Lost Vape: Also as Style said, is good too.... if you want the Lost Vape go for the 2 battery version Therion166.... I think the 133 is out of production (superseded) and the 166 has improved battery sled and the chip has better protection built in. The Lost Vape 166 is also going to balance charge your batteries too which is a massive plus for me! Obviously the DNA75 option has only one battery and doesn't need balanced charging...

I like my DNA devices... I have quite a few including DNA40 and DNA200 ~ DNA 250 "may" be coming if I feel like a treat.

I also own an SX Mini Q Class..... excellent device and chip but I'm not a big fan of the OS. DNA is easy to use.... much easier.... and the software to customize the firmware is apparently a bit more intuitive.

Spend your ciggy savings on either Lost Vape or SMY/Laude, they both work great and are of high quality
    fixit and RogueTomato like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueTomato View Post
    ....But a DNA chip and squonking are my last two frontiers to test before I settle down into my vape -style-
    You could always combine these two features ~ Lost Vape also produce a DNA75 Squonker

https://www.fasttech.com/product/6077804

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueTomato View Post
    1. Yes and if no - for a laugh
    2. Yes and other reasons
    3. No
    4. Good call

I know you're a big fan of Smok gear and good to know for the future the quality vape you've gotten from them. The one thing that I cannot stand with a lot of the new Smok mods is the palm sized firing button. I'm not sure what it is but that turns me off of them to no end. That and I'm not a fan of dual 18650 mods, because I'm too lazy or busy to marry the batteries and rotate correctly but I know I'd get all OCD about it if I had that set up.

I do love my treebox, though I find it often asks me if its a new coil even when nothing has changed, but mostly with my favourite RTA along with odd resistance readings (and yes checked tank on three other mods and tab all show up fine and all threads and contacts cleaned drives me mad) yeah that SX sounds like a bit of a hassle. Ha ha ha, well hopefully his happy with his SX and homosexual cat then.

Cheers for letting me know your experience with them I'll definitely take that into consideration. Big draw for me was the ability to change power curve settings though I'm sure there are non DNA mods with this ability as well as the customisation that escribe makes available. But a DNA chip and squonking are my last two frontiers to test before I settle down into my vape -style-
    Lol, not even i can match your replies to my qiestions, and i wrote them

Ive had 3 TreeBoxes...and apart from the button failure on my oldest one they have all been 0 drama, so not sure why yours would ask new coil outside of an actual initial reading on a new coil, it has never happened to me. Fair call if the big fire button is not your thing, or the dual battery scenario, ive never had a dual battery mod myself, so ive dodged that...i get a day and a half easily out of a 3000mah 30Q the way i vape (which isnt every 5 minutes/15 minutes/even 30 minutes)and thats as much as i need to fiddle with batteries

Heres another DNA75 to think about: S-Body VapeDroid C1D2 DNA 75 (18650/26650)

but if you want to combine squoning as well, then take a peek at this search on vapeassist (in amongst the results are dna75 squonkers like the HCigar VT Inbox DNA75 & Lostvape Therion BF DNA75

VapeAssist
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 10-12-16 at 12:00 AM.
    RogueTomato likes this.

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast