Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: The OBS Engine, Nano & Mini Thread

AVF Regular
    I have no idea on the engine proper, but I bought a mini (still unopened), and a nano a while ago.

Still running the same coil I first built in the nano, with a few rewick and dryburns. 0.13Ω Clapton.

I run it on my Panzer, and find it to be exceptional. Admittedly that is lower than I normally run, but based on the atty design, and how I choose to vape it, I felt that would be the best place to start.

Any of my DIY flavours are rich and full, and my unflavoured tastes true to form.

I use max VG, and have not had a dry hit yet. I think this shows how easy this baby is to wick, because if a talentless, left-handed squonker like me can wick it, anyone can.

I'm a bit worried about opening and building the mini now, in case I'm sorely disappointed.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Moose,

Here's the thing.

Mine is the standard Engine, dual coil, 25mm diameter.

It's exceptionally well made. Everything slides and screws (!) together beautifully and while I can't compare to something truly 'high end' (as I live in the cheap seats), it's as good as anything could be. Just great.

The idea of how to fill it, and how the airflow comes down the top to the coils then back up again is also inspired.

The problems for me is that the airflow is only 'more' not 'good'. It dumps the air into a chamber 'manifold' at the top of the tank down the coils through 2 ports that are only holes in a flat plate, which as anyone who's had more than a passing interest in airflow in any field (engines, aircon, chimneys, etc.) will tell you straight away is about as bad it can possibly be for channelling air from one place to another. Really, it's not theoretically 'as bad as can possibly be' it's actually 'as bad as it can possibly be'. So you're dumping this air into the coil chamber and hoping it'll catch the vapour coming off the coils and drag it up the long, narrow chimney.

But because the air is 'dumped' not 'flowed' it seems a lot of the air simply skips from the port to the chimney and doesn't bring any vapour with it. To compensate, I found I had to increase the power needed to get anything off it, which presents another whole set of problems, not the least of which is overheating the liquid until it 'goes dark' and coats the coil chamber and chimney with a solid layer of gunk, and the coils get choked with gunk very quickly.

This leads to another problem, because it's all 'closed up' you can't really clean it effectively or easily. Yes, it can be cleaned but it needs to be cleaned somewhat often and the cleaning takes more effort than anything else I've ever used.

Oddly, I 'fixed' the problem by sticking in some small pieces of teflon tubing into the ports, restricting and directing the airflow and it made a heap of difference. Using stainless steel tubes didn't work, mostly because they didn't also restrict airflow. Teflon isn't an ideal material sitting on top of heating elements, so I didn't want to leave those in there.

Now maybe if you drag a LOT of air into this tank, the air might straighten out coming off the ports or the turbulence would let it get deeper into the coil chamber, but I don't vape like that. Especially not on a tank I don't trust to work properly at more modest rates of airflow.

So that's how I see it myself. If the airflow was directed, even a little, it would work so much better and over a much wider operating range than it does, as is. I'm sure those who sing it's praises are using it in a different way to me, but my beef with it is that I've got maybe 10 other tanks that all seem to offer up better performance over a much wider range of coils, airflow and power settings. I think the addition of flow deflectors in the ports to get it moving down, or even bringing it down to the bottom of the chamber before it makes it's trip up the chimney would help somewhat.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much, except that with only a very modest 'fix' the Engine would be 'the' tank to have, and everything else would be an oddity.

Maybe the airflow foul up is deliberate?

By comparison, any liquid I ever used in the Engine that I found was 'acceptable' was excessively strong out of anything else. Subtle liquids simply would be lost in the Engine and normal "full flavoured" liquids were muted and dull.

And it's not like I didn't try. I ran coil sets from 0.1-2.0 ohms, of all possible configurations, rayon and cotton wicking, all power levels and TC won't work because the airflow is screwed up, coils get hot and stay hot and there's no 'TC' only 'T'. I tried everything I could to find a 'good' setting, and never found one that lasted more than a tank before the problems showed themselves.

(I think any 'success' I had with it was trying to be optimistic more than any actual success...)

To put this into some perspective, I just got a delivery from Hiliq with nic and some mango cream flavour. Mixed up at 6mg/ml nic, 6% flavour, shake and vape through the Wotofo Troll running a pair of clapton coils running at 0.45 ohm and 36W. The chamber was clean, the wicks were clean before putting in this new liquid (no steeping at all) so that tank is working really well 'as is', and this new liquid is maybe a little too diluted, but still good and I can taste the mango (especially the urushiol) but no cream because it's only 2 hours old. Wide open airflow is too much for me, so it's at half and right for me.

This is but one set up I've used in the Troll that 'works', which hasn't actually 'not worked' since I got it. Sure, the Troll can and does leak on refill occasionally and it does get gunky with some liquids, but it actually works which is something that was fleeting/imagined in the Engine.

And I'm not saying the Troll is the ultimate tank, not at all. But for performance it's not fair to compare these two at all. The Troll delivers reliably and the Engine simply did not, ever.

But this is all me, myself and I alone. I know folks get great performance from their Engines and that's great for them, but not for me.

Screwing up airflow in a device that relies on airflow as part of it's primary operation is an unforgivable error. So much so that I would not consider anything else they make, unless they force the air to move where it's needed rather than wantonly dumping in there and hoping for the best.

And to add some insult, the Troll is almost exactly the same size as the Engine in it's chamber and air ports, but the Troll has actual 'ports', as in they point the air into the coils from the bottom, and the chimney is quite short. The UD Zephyrus has a very long 'rifled' chimney, but also manages to drag good flavour from deep in it's bowels, although it does have a much smaller coil chamber which probably helps. So it's not merely one aspect that makes the Engine a dud in my opinion (and this is my opinion, nobody else's) it's that the sum of the parts is less than it should add up to.

I don't know if fixing the airflow will definitely fix it, but my simple experiment seemed to make a huge difference.

Stu.
    gurishka and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    I choked down on the airflow till it was almost off and bumped the wattage to 30w on a 1.2 ohm coil and well damn. I got flavour out of it. I tried it with various coils and restricted the airflow but this time it works.
    I'd have to say and agree with Stu that the airflow is just too much for the coils. It needs to be directed and restricted down so it hits the coils. But as it stands it's not the best rta out there by far. Innovation wise it was good in concept but in practice it wasn't tested well.
    I watched Daniel from DJlsb do his review on it and took pointers from it too.
    For me, the serpent is still a great single coil rta though it has flaws. But it decimates the engine nano i think.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    I think the Engine needs the coils set as high as they can go without causing a short on the top of the chamber, that is how I have mine set & I don't have an issue with it, I own 2 now & I'm considering getting a 3rd.
    The AFC does need to be closed to allow only 1/4 to 1/3 of the AFC to be open for me but that isn't a big problem at all, I normally restrict the AFC on my tanks.

I do somewhat agree with Schtoo, that the airflow isn't as good as it could be but with the coils set in the right place it isn't lacking for flavor, the design that locks the barrel into place on the base with the tab either side means that the AF holes line up directly over the coils, so the coils need to be set high to take advantage of the downward airflow.
    This isn't a new concept, the AEOLUS RDA had top down airflow, very similar in principle & was a much loved RDA, likewise the Engine RTA is much loved but also like the AEOLUS not everyone enjoys top down airflow & not everyone is going to love the Engine. I know plenty of vapers that do love the Engine though & have no problem with the vape quality or the flavor it produces, myself included.

What I'd like to see in an RTA is something similar to the Engine, with all it's good qualities but with a slightly modified airflow path. Airflow similar to the Witcher sub-tank is what I think would be perfect, where the Engine has top-down airflow the Witcher has top-to bottom-to top airflow, this means that the airflow hits the coils from the bottom but enters from the top, where the Engine's airflow enters from the top & hits the coils from the top.
    UD has a new RTA tank that has Witcher-like airflow but I have yet to try it & the deck looks rather small (maybe too small for the type of builds I want to use), I'm considering getting one to try but the Engine is working so well for me that I'm not sure I should bother with the small deck.
    The Sodd and rockmoose like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    I figured I'd try something very random and different. Parallel 28 gauge kanthal with a twist. Came in at 0.72 ohms on an rx200s and at 48w with airflow wide open it's crazy..

Hurrah for my silly thinking!

I was going to do vertical dual coils but my issue would be wicking with one getting dry first due to the length. But this negates that.
    Noe and ermoon2 like this.

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    If you don't know, I love the OBS Engine RTA!
    So much so that is pretty much all I have been using over the past few months. I started with one (Black Version) & then bought a Gold version, I have recently acquired a second Black Version (still unopened in box) making a total of 3 OBS Engines I now have.
    You might say that the Engine is my OBSession lol

I have had time using just the same tank day in/day out, to experiment a little with wicks, my latest experiment involved a Rayon/Cotton hybrid wick, with the rayon on the outside, with a cotton inner core. So far it has been 3+ weeks since I last changed my wick in the Engine (gold) & this is the only tank I have been using (my Black one has sat idle due to me reacquainting myself with Smokey Fog).
    The flavor is still good, it's not tasting "dirty" like cotton would have been doing more than a week ago probably 2 weeks ago but I can tell it's not quite as good as when it was a Fresh wick too. I did check the build deck a couple of days ago & the coils were a little bit gunked up, which I expected & which explains the flavor drop compared to a fresh build but the wick itself while dark didn't look clogged with gunk (of course I'm going to have to remove the wick & check to be certain of this), all of which makes sense to me given the vape quality I am getting this far into my last re-wick of the Engine.

The reason i wanted to try a hybrid rayon/cotton wick, which I have tried in the past on other devices, is because I know that rayon is more heat tolerant than cotton (ie it won't burn as quickly), thus it tends to last longer than cotton as a wick, while cotton is more absorbent than rayon, whilke rayon transports juice faster. Thus using a hybrid wick has several advantages but it doesn't work for every situation/device, for example, if your coil has a inner diameter less than 3mm then it's going to be a PITA to build a hybrid wick properly.
    To make a proper hybrid wick takes a bit of patience, you need to ensure the rayon is the entire outer covering, with the cotton in the core, this used to be more difficult with loose rayon wick but I was sent some Rayon sheets(Thanks Stu), which are quite thin & perfect for making these hybrid wicks, making them easier to roll.
    Ok you may say but 3 weeks isn't a great indication of how good the wick is or how long it lasts, if you're not vaping a lot of juice then even cotton wick could last 4 weeks, which is true but I vape around 1 full tank of juice per day in the Engine(4 - 5ml approx) which may not sound like a lot to some of you but I vape 24mg/ml & this will give you a good idea of how to calculate how long the wick will last for your own consumption needs. The pic shows just how much I have used out of a 120ml bottle, since it was full when the wick was new & has only been used in this tank.

So to me this is the best wick type I have used so far in the Engine, if I decide to use it in future I won't be trying to push the boundaries of how long I can make it last & will be changing it out somewhere between 2-3weeks of use, because that is about when the coils start to get clogged enough to notice a drop in flavor. However it is good to know just how much further I could put off changing the wick if I was busy & needed to.

The reason I said "if I decide to use it in future", is because my next experiment is going to be with using SS mesh wick.
    Yes I heard most of you saying in your minds "WTF??"
    SS mesh is usually used in genesis style atties & is used in some other older types of tanks, the thing that appeals to me about it is the pure clean taste you get when using it as a wick & the fact that you can dry burn your coils clean without ever changing the wick.
    I don't expect that this will be an easy build, there are a few things that can go wrong, this will be compounded by using a dual fused clapton contact coil build (I may have to space the coils) but the pay off if it works will be better flavor & far less maintenance.
    If I do get it to work, I'll be sure to take some pics & write a short tutorial on how to achieve it
    fabricator4, The Sodd and gurishka like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    Noe,
    Good last post write up, very interesting.
    Would love to know how the mesh goes and a tutorial would make life easy. Been very happy with my OBS (got two of them on the go) but if I can make it even better that would be a bonus
    Cheers
    Sodd

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sodd View Post
    Noe,
    Good last post write up, very interesting.
    Would love to know how the mesh goes and a tutorial would make life easy. Been very happy with my OBS (got two of them on the go) but if I can make it even better that would be a bonus
    Cheers
    Sodd
    After writing my last post, I couldn't stop thinking about the build, so a few hours later I was attempting it lol
    Gone through 1 tank of juice & mesh is working a treat now, just a little teething problem with it, not entirely sure what was happening but I adjusted the airflow to be a little more open & bumped the wattage up about 5W to 45W & it's fixed it.
    Had a little bit of juice to spit out on the first few puffs from it is all, I figured it was probably not heating the mesh quick enough initially at the lower wattage or I had the AFC too restricted pulling juice through too quickly. I think it was only a problem when the wick was very fresh, because I have tried both restricting the AFC & dropping the watts again since & had no recurrence but I found 45W to be more flavorful so have it set there now with my preferred draw on the AFC.
    Definitely getting cleaner taste & a little more flavor out of it, I'll be doing it to my other Engine too, then I'll never need to disturb the coils to rewick again , making life easier with less maintenance!

Will put the small tutorial in a new thread into "Modding & Technical" subforum later
    rockmoose likes this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123