Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: The OBS Engine, Nano & Mini Thread

emu
    AVF Regular

The OBS Engine, Nano & Mini Thread

I got my OBS Engine yesterday, my opinion so far is it is the best dual coil tank I've come across. The airflow design is trick and a lot of very clever designing went into it, at first the airflow felt a little restricted to me but only because I'm used to the massive airflow on the Melo 300. Now that I'm used to the lower draw speed I'm working with it and the vape is extraordinary. It's a shame they didn't make the chimney and drip tip bigger than 510 although it is probably why the flavour is so good or at least it's a contributing factor.

The coils that came with mine are the twisted SS and they read 0.11 on the final build, a bit to low for my liking so I rebuilt it today with a couple of claptons and a final of 0.39. Much happier with that reading and on 60 watts they are performing very well, the only con I have found so far is the wick holes in the deck are a little close together but it's not a prob if you put a little dogleg in the lower leg of the coils so the wick can go 90 degrees straight down instead of having to bend it around the coil leg. Once you do this it's so easy to wick into those 4mm holes in the deck and I found it a pleasure and very easy to get a really good result the first time, I'm vaping on it now and the bubbles are streaming up the glass profusely after each long hard vape which is exactly what it should be doing. You can chain vape all day without a dry hit as the design is so good and it just works wonderfully. I'm using 50/50 @ 3 mg's RY4 by Molinberry and I have to admit it is the best I have ever tasted this flavour.

I added a couple of picks so you can see what I mean by the dogleg in the coil before ya put it in the post so the wick can go directly down through the hole unobstructed and you can see in the second shot how the wick comes out under the deck plate and just above the bottom for optimum wicking. The left hand side or upper leg don't matter as the shape and position have no impact on the wick because it's a natural perfect position on that one and the wick goes unhindered straight down through the port.
    I like to space the coils for optimum performance so they don't end up as neat looking as the unadulterated untouched originals so please forgive me for the untidiness of my final build but that's how they work best and ya don't see em when it's all assembled and ya vaping on it.
    For a $35 tank it runs rings around the Ammit and I'm sure the single coil version The Nano will be a great vape as well for those who prefer one coil.

AVF Regular
    emu posting naughty things :P

haha kidding
    emu likes this.
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    I got my OBS Engine yesterday, my opinion so far is it is the best dual coil tank I've come across. The airflow design is trick and a lot of very clever designing went into it, at first the airflow felt a little restricted to me but only because I'm used to the massive airflow on the Melo 300. Now that I'm used to the lower draw speed I'm working with it and the vape is extraordinary. It's a shame they didn't make the chimney and drip tip bigger than 510 although it is probably why the flavour is so good or at least it's a contributing factor.

The coils that came with mine are the twisted SS and they read 0.11 on the final build, a bit to low for my liking so I rebuilt it today with a couple of claptons and a final of 0.39. Much happier with that reading and on 60 watts they are performing very well, the only con I have found so far is the wick holes in the deck are a little close together but it's not a prob if you put a little dogleg in the lower leg of the coils so the wick can go 90 degrees straight down instead of having to bend it around the coil leg. Once you do this it's so easy to wick into those 4mm holes in the deck and I found it a pleasure and very easy to get a really good result the first time, I'm vaping on it now and the bubbles are streaming up the glass profusely after each long hard vape which is exactly what it should be doing. You can chain vape all day without a dry hit as the design is so good and it just works wonderfully. I'm using 50/50 @ 3 mg's RY4 by Molinberry and I have to admit it is the best I have ever tasted this flavour.

I added a couple of picks so you can see what I mean by the dogleg in the coil before ya put it in the post so the wick can go directly down through the hole unobstructed and you can see in the second shot how the wick comes out under the deck plate and just above the bottom for optimum wicking. The left hand side or upper leg don't matter as the shape and position have no impact on the wick because it's a natural perfect position on that one and the wick goes unhindered straight down through the port.
    I like to space the coils for optimum performance so they don't end up as neat looking as the unadulterated untouched originals so please forgive me for the untidiness of my final build but that's how they work best and ya don't see em when it's all assembled and ya vaping on it.
    For a $35 tank it runs rings around the Ammit and I'm sure the single coil version The Nano will be a great vape as well for those who prefer one coil.

Thank you Emu, I am going to read this post very carefully tomorrow, I appreciate your comments and pics. Have been messing with my head vaping on Provari Mini Nautilus through to 55W on the Azeroth today. Not ready to unpackage the Engine yet, but am eagerly waiting to hear your impression on the Syntheticloud Alpine too when you get it :P
    gurishka, emu, flyingfox12 and 1 others like this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    wow, emu, great!!!!

AVF Regular
    You had to go and do it, didn't you.

Well, funny thing.

Mine is working ok, as they made it, save a smaller drip tip. It's running juice that's a little 'too much' for a Melo, but I fear if I dilute it any further it'll be dead.

And it's fine, as is, with that slightly smaller hole tip in it. Or I can run it with the teflon restrictors and the as supplied tip, which is actually a little better but adds a complication.

0.3 ohms, 35W, airflow at 2/5 open.

It's still not a flavour tank in my opinion, and no matter what anyone says otherwise I'll never be convinced of it. Anything that goes into it drops a notch in flavour compared to something like the Melo, and several notches compared to something like an Avocado. But if the liquid has a bite to it, it seems to be ok for me as is.

It'll see ADV duties, as it'll get filled, charged and I'll do what I can to wear it out. It works. Not sure I'll put much effort into it other than routine maintenance...

Stu.
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've just wicked up the OBS Engine Nano and I'm not sure what to think right now. I used a pre made clapton coil that came out to 0.92. Varying wattage from 40-70w and I just can't get a feeling for it. I'll try and vape a bit on it and see where it leads me. I was probably expecting more out of it. The vapour production is grand but no flavour..

AVF Regular
    Don't laugh, but I run my 2 Nano's at 1.8 and 2.2ohm, 28g Kanthal, both 3mm ID coils on 12-14 watts dependant on juice. Brilliant, plently of flavour, quite good clouds (although that's not my prime consideration). Apart from my Lemo 2's they are the next best tanks I've run.

The trick is in wicking. Put just enough in but not too much so you can still (just) slide it back and forwards through the coil. Cut a couple of mm's past the bottom of the atty both sides (not the deck). Then when putting through the juice holes I use a very fine paperclip that I've straightened out. Have noticed that if your poker is too big it tends to bunch or ram in the cotton too hard compressing it and reducing the juice wicking (if that makes sense ?)
    Cheers
    Sodd

BTW, same as Schtoo, I also replaced the drip tips with a smaller bore longer one. Have tried down to 0.3ohm clapton, caterpillar etc etc coils but what I've mentioned above works a treat for me.
    Last edited by The Sodd; 03-05-17 at 09:58 AM.
    gtadmin, AllyP, 1ynne and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sodd View Post
    Don't laugh, but I run my 2 Nano's at 1.8 and 2.2ohm, 28g Kanthal, both 3mm ID coils on 12-14 watts dependant on juice. Brilliant, plently of flavour, quite good clouds (although that's not my prime consideration). Apart from my Lemo 2's they are the next best tanks I've run.

BTW, same as Schtoo, I also replaced the drip tips with a smaller bore longer one. Have tried down to 0.3ohm clapton, caterpillar etc etc coils but what I've mentioned above works a treat for me.
    By Joe I think he's done it!

Just threw this into mine, and for the very first time the flavour is, well, not great but not completely dulled out.

And the &^$&^% isn't getting hot. Same gauge wire on SS, no worky.

The trick isn't so much wicking as it is realising that while these Engines are mostly awesome, that they're flawed. You'd think you can run some hefty coils in there, but you can't. You'd think that they should just work, but they don't. Conservative seems to be the way they work, contrary to their appearance and reputation. Running a very, very mild setup that works is fine by me, because the key point there is 'it works'...

I was on the verge of throwing mine away. If this new set up has a short service life, as in rebuilding it completely every day, I'll bin the thing.

Right now, dual 28G kanthal, 3mm ID and 11 1/2 wraps. 22W and it's working ok.

Dream up any other set up in this, and I've tried it and thrown it into the garbage. Had 'some' success with hotter set ups, no luck with TC at all (design flaw screws with it), a lot of overheating and other general nastiness. Never a dry hit though, never had any other problems other than it simply being pretty much the least flavour tank I own.

So for now, it's working. The question is for how long...

Stu.
    AllyP, gurishka and Danny76 like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    am eagerly waiting to hear your impression on the Syntheticloud Alpine too when you get it :P
    Hi Cat, what do you mean ( Alpine Syntheticloud) when I get it...?Sorry darl I have no idea what ya talking about....
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Thank you Emu, I am going to read this post very carefully tomorrow, I appreciate your comments and pics. Have been messing with my head vaping on Provari Mini Nautilus through to 55W on the Azeroth today. Not ready to unpackage the Engine yet, but am eagerly waiting to hear your impression on the Syntheticloud Alpine too when you get it :P
    Lol Cat, yes the Alpine Synthetic clouds which this tank generates are fabulous, Even better than the ones I have seen at Thredbo during the snow season. The tank is the first truly leak proof tank I have ever seen. A lot of work has gone into this baby and I have purchased one of each for my collection. Poor Emu seems not to understand your Alpine Synthetic Clouds inference. PMSL. Oh well never mind Emu's were never all that an intelligent species of bird anyhow. My Synthetic clouds resulted to my being thrown out of the lounge room yet again when the wife is home. PMSL .
    Cat likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast