• 1 Post By DogMan
  • 3 Post By Fractal
  • 1 Post By jobics
  • 1 Post By Bryce.C

Thread: SS316L + KA1 Clapton Wire Query

AVF Regular

SS316L + KA1 Clapton Wire Query

Hi,
    The roll says 26ga + 32ga, which I assume is 26ga SS and 32ga KA1.

I was looking at steam-engine, and this wire isn't on the list in the coil build specs, I checked Wire Wizard and didn't find any enlightenment there either. Has anyone got a suggestion as to what I should choose as a substitute? cheers FX
    Cat likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    in front of my computer in the hills east melbourne
    best bet is just to experiment try a 5 wrap single coil check ohm's and go from there may cost you 100mm-200mm of wire but the stuff's not that expensive anyway just remember to write your results down for next time.
    as far as the make up your probably right but you can always pull some apart and heat it. As your ss oxidises it will give you all the lovely colors
    FXVaper likes this.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FXVaper View Post
    Hi,

I was looking at steam-engine, and this wire isn't on the list in the coil build specs, I checked Wire Wizard and didn't find any enlightenment there either. Has anyone got a suggestion as to what I should choose as a substitute? cheers FX
    Jobics makes coils, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind you asking him, he's an expert in my mind (and a really nice guy to boot)!
    FXVaper likes this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Hi,

Try an app called vape tool. Pretty sure you can customise each wire type in a clapton

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Cat and FXVaper like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for this, I'll give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by helixx View Post
    Try an app called vape tool. Pretty sure you can customise each wire type in a clapton

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Thanks, I have "experimented", I'd just like to be able to calculate hm wraps I need to make a coil of specific Ohms - preferably before I'm eligible for the OAP, and in time to get to work

I was wondering whether there was a method to averaging out the gauge so as to use steam-engine, and avoid all that faffing around.

Quote Originally Posted by PATDACAT View Post
    best bet is just to experiment try a 5 wrap single coil check ohm's and go from there may cost you 100mm-200mm of wire but the stuff's not that expensive anyway just remember to write your results down for next time.
    as far as the make up your probably right but you can always pull some apart and heat it. As your ss oxidises it will give you all the lovely colors
    PATDACAT likes this.

AVF Regular
    SE wire wizard will let you input how many wraps and calculate ohms. But not the other way around. You can get pretty advanced build calculations, including for mixes of SS and A1

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    FXVaper likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    It might not be a mixed wire type - I have a roll of 26 / 32 SS316 "Stainless Steel 316" Clapton wire (MKWS brand, from Fasttech) that is SS316 for both the core and the wrap.

Usually the pre-made (as in, pre-Claptoned) spools don't use mixed wire types - not the mass produced Chinese made ones, anyway (they may exist, but I haven't seen any - though I haven't bought wire for ages).

Typically anything involving Stainless Steel isn't mixed with other material types either - there's no real advantage to it. Wire type mixing really came about with early (Ni200 era) temp control, when people were looking the easiest way to get a TC friendly Clapton, or as a way to make Ni200 easier to work with in general. The Kanthal core stiffened the Ni200 and made it more manageable to shape into coils without drastically throwing off the TCR (as Kanthal doesn't change resistance a detectable amount when heated - but Ni200 changes resistance drastically).

Stainless Steel doesn't have the same softness / springyness issues as Ni200 - so there's no advantage in using a Kanthal core with it over a Stainless Steel core (also - Stainless Steel only very slightly changes resistance when heated, so using a Kanthal core would likely require a custom TCR setting for temp control. Easier to use Stainless Steel for both wires - it's just as easy to work with, and TC people can use standard Stainless Steel settings).

I know, it's a very TC centric view of things - but that's why mixed material coils really came about in the first place, so it's a bit impossible to avoid the topic .

So yeah, I'd build under the assumption that both strands are Stainless Steel unless you know for sure otherwise (that is assuming it says "Stainless Steel" on it. If there's no listed material at all, I'd run under the assumption that both wire strands are Kanthal).

Anyway - for your actual question - The Wire Wizard on the Steam Engine site can handle Claptons and mixed materials. The big grey box "Wire Builder" is where you configure that. From the drop down box under the "Wire Builder" heading, select "Clapton". Then to the right you'll see settings for your core and wrap wires (including drop down boxes for material).
    Noe, jobics and FXVaper like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Hi,

Take a look at this post where I explained how to use Steam Engine's page - Caterpillar Track

Before Lars put up the Wire Wizard page to cater for complex wire builds, I just discounted the resistance effect of the outer wrap as what mostly counts is the core wire resistance.

If you have other questions, ask away and if I know the answer, I will.
    FXVaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    The outer Clapton wrap doesn't add any resistance to the coil, I've tried it with round wire and a single core Clapton and basically came out the same. Try putting in the as the core. I bought some before I started building my own and duel 6wrap 3mm I'd came out around 0.35.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    FXVaper likes this.