Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryce.C
  • 1 Post By notewar
  • 2 Post By Noe

Thread: How to find-out coil size diameter?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

How to find-out coil size diameter?

Hi AVPs,

Im trying to buy a pre-made coil but struggling to identify the diameter of the coil. I've used the free coil that came with the Serpent Mini 22 RTA and its so small and impossible to wick the cotton in .
    I went to Aliexpress to find-out those pre-made coil and in the description it says something like this:

Flat twisted coil
    Gauge:0.2*0.8*2 Resistance 0.36ohm

Fused clapton coil
    Gauge:28GA*2+32GA Resistance 0.45ohm

Hive coil
    Gauge30GA+30GA)*2 Resistance 0.5ohm

Alien coil
    Gauge:0.3*0.8+32GA Resistance 0.45ohm

Mix twisted coil
    Gauge:0.2*0.8+26GA Resistance 0.45ohm

Quad coil
    Gauge:28GA*4 Resistance 0.36ohm

Tiger coil
    Gauge:26GA+0.2*0.8 Resistance 0.36ohm

Clapton Coil
    Gauge: 24GA+32GA Resistance 0.5ohm
    Gauge: 26GA+32GA Resistance 0.85ohm

Twisted Coil
    Gauge: 24GA*2 Resistance 0.2ohm
    Gauge: 26GA*2 Resistance 0.36ohm

Heres the link:https://goo.gl/0v8Q1z

I want to get a coil thats around 3mm diameter to ease the pain of wicking cotton. Appreciated your guys response in advance.

PS. I vape around 60watts, what type of coil is best for flavour?

Cheers

AVF Regular
    I'd say they would be about 2.5mm id, just in my experience with the few coils I have bought but it's hard to say sorry.

For around the 60w range I'd recommend the single core Clapton 26/32 or twisted wire, both have decent flavour without having to pump a ton of power through them.. the others like the alien or flat Clapton have great flavour but need a bit more power to get them up and going.

You could buy a spool of Clapton wire/twisted wire pretty cheap and wrap it around a screw driver of your choosing. I think it's normally 15ft for $10-12 which is enough to make a lot of coils.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    notewar likes this.

AVF Regular
    its normaly around 2.5mm i can double check with my coil posts later if you like
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    If you are going to keep building, you might like to consider buying some Coilmaster ceramic sticks, which are useful for adjusting your coils without shorting them. They come with sticks ranging from 2 to 4mm and you can determine the size of a coil by sticking them through the coil until you find the closest fit. I picked mine up for around $8 from a B&M vendor and use them all the time.

You could also use the sticks that come with something like a Coilmaster coil winding jig.

Just Google these things and you'll see what I'm talking about...

I agree, they would probably be around 2.5 to 3.5mm (I recently got some from Fasttech in China and they are 3.5, you can't really tell until you get them, which is pretty stupid and frustrating...)
    Last edited by Cat; 19-05-17 at 05:01 PM.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    My guess is 3mm. Pretty standard diameter

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thank for replies guys. Much appreciated
    Cat likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by notewar View Post
    Hi AVPs,

Im trying to buy a pre-made coil but struggling to identify the diameter of the coil. I've used the free coil that came with the Serpent Mini 22 RTA and its so small and impossible to wick the cotton in .
    I went to Aliexpress to find-out those pre-made coil and in the description it says something like this:

Flat twisted coil
    Gauge:0.2*0.8*2 Resistance 0.36ohm

Fused clapton coil
    Gauge:28GA*2+32GA Resistance 0.45ohm

Hive coil
    Gauge30GA+30GA)*2 Resistance 0.5ohm

Alien coil
    Gauge:0.3*0.8+32GA Resistance 0.45ohm

Mix twisted coil
    Gauge:0.2*0.8+26GA Resistance 0.45ohm

Quad coil
    Gauge:28GA*4 Resistance 0.36ohm

Tiger coil
    Gauge:26GA+0.2*0.8 Resistance 0.36ohm

Clapton Coil
    Gauge: 24GA+32GA Resistance 0.5ohm
    Gauge: 26GA+32GA Resistance 0.85ohm

Twisted Coil
    Gauge: 24GA*2 Resistance 0.2ohm
    Gauge: 26GA*2 Resistance 0.36ohm

Heres the link:https://goo.gl/0v8Q1z

I want to get a coil thats around 3mm diameter to ease the pain of wicking cotton. Appreciated your guys response in advance.

PS. I vape around 60watts, what type of coil is best for flavour?

Cheers
    When you say diameter, what you really mean is "inner diameter", look for anywhere on the product listings for mention of inner diameter, if it's not there then the only way to know for sure is to buy & try or to know someone that has bought them & ask.
    Inner diameter of pre-made DiY coils range anywhere from 1.5mm to 3.5mm IME, those that you listed do not show the inner diameter.

The best coils for flavor has nothing to do with wattage & has more to do with the atty being used but generally Fused Claptons produce very good flavor on most decks.
    So here's what I recommend you do, buy some various packs of fused clapton coils, some will have larger inner diameter than others, you can then select the ones you like most & only buy them in future or you can buy a roll of YouDe UD fused clapton wire & make your own coils to any size inner diameter you need.

Either way, having a coil making kit like the Kuro type coilers(google kuro coiler there's plenty of youtube vids) with rods in various sizes up to 4mm is highly recommended.
    These coil winders can even be used on pre-made coils by screwing the coil onto the next 1/2 size rod you can widen the inner diameter (I often do this because some of the coils I like only come in 1 inner diameter version), as long as the leg length is long enough to wind a little extra around the rod because when you widen the inner diameter you'll need more wire for the same number of wraps or you can eg. turn a 5 wrap into a 4 wrap & gain the extra wire needed that way. Widening inner diameters isn't hard, if you don't have a coil winding set then you can use drill bits but the sets make it easier, just increase by 1/2mm diameter steps until you get the inner diameter you want.
    Last edited by Noe; 19-05-17 at 07:04 PM. Reason: typo
    helixx and notewar like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!