AVF Regular

Mech Mod Newbie question: protruding pin

Hi all. I want to try using a mech mod... thinking of getting a SMPL 18650 mech mod 22mm clone . It has a hybrid connection. I have 3 rdas: a Wotofo V1 Troll, a Narda clone and a Goon Mini clone. I'm not sure if they have protruding pins because the amount they protrude looks so miniscule. Can i slightly unscrew them and make them protrude a bit more? Or are they sufficient as they are? Or no good on hybrid mod connector?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hithere View Post
    Hi all. I want to try using a mech mod... thinking of getting a SMPL 18650 mech mod 22mm clone . It has a hybrid connection. I have 3 rdas: a Wotofo V1 Troll, a Narda clone and a Goon Mini clone. I'm not sure if they have protruding pins because the amount they protrude looks so miniscule. Can i slightly unscrew them and make them protrude a bit more? Or are they sufficient as they are? Or no good on hybrid mod connector?
    The Narda is not an adjustable centre pin - if you unscrew it then it will loosen the +ive terminal post, possibily causing the short that you were trying to avoid by allowing the +ive terminal to flop around. Not sure about the Troll and the Goon but I don't think they are adjustable either. Someone will correct if this is not the case.

The Narda protrudes enough anyway - almost 1mm. It's rare that you'll see much more than that. The other thing is that the pin must be solid - not able to be mashed in if you over tighten it. Really, I think you should be OK with all of those. You're right to be thinking about it though - it's important for safety. You have to inspect it regularly to, to make sure it hasn't been damaged or pushed in.

Also use safe chemistry batteries - usually IMR or INR. At this stage I don't recommend the use of ICR batteries at all.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    The Narda is not an adjustable centre pin - if you unscrew it then it will loosen the +ive terminal post, possibily causing the short that you were trying to avoid by allowing the +ive terminal to flop around. Not sure about the Troll and the Goon but I don't think they are adjustable either. Someone will correct if this is not the case.

The Narda protrudes enough anyway - almost 1mm. It's rare that you'll see much more than that. The other thing is that the pin must be solid - not able to be mashed in if you over tighten it. Really, I think you should be OK with all of those. You're right to be thinking about it though - it's important for safety. You have to inspect it regularly to, to make sure it hasn't been damaged or pushed in.

Also use safe chemistry batteries - usually IMR or INR. At this stage I don't recommend the use of ICR batteries at all.
    Thanks Fab. So even though not adjustable, you reckon they're safe with hybrid connector?
    Also thanks for battery advice.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hithere View Post
    Thanks Fab. So even though not adjustable, you reckon they're safe with hybrid connector?
    Also thanks for battery advice.
    As long as the centre pin is protruding, yes. Look closely at it and see that it extends past the threaded section. Close to 1mm or more is fine. It doesn't look like much. Next check that it's solid. If you push hard on it, it should not retract inwards at all. Some older devices had the pin seated into a rubber grommet that gave a soft fit on non-adjustable 510 connectors. All of the new stuff should be solid but do check it.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    in front of my computer in the hills east melbourne
    hi any pin 0.5 mm or more should be good just make sure your battery is in good nick. with the battery out screw your atty on to the mod then put your battery in and screw the button in. don't over tighten the button as all this will do is crush the + agents the atty. you will get a good connection even if your button is a bit loose because when you press it it will push everything together. are you ordering through slow bastards (fast tech) if so think about getting a derringer rda clone (look for the one with the velocity deck) there cheep and they look great on a smpl. my favorite mech setup

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PATDACAT View Post
    hi any pin 0.5 mm or more should be good just make sure your battery is in good nick. with the battery out screw your atty on to the mod then put your battery in and screw the button in. don't over tighten the button as all this will do is crush the + agents the atty. you will get a good connection even if your button is a bit loose because when you press it it will push everything together. are you ordering through slow bastards (fast tech) if so think about getting a derringer rda clone (look for the one with the velocity deck) there cheep and they look great on a smpl. my favorite mech setup
    Yes..ordering through SlowBastards..lol. Good tip about not over tightening the button. I might just get the Derringer clone. I've never built on a 3 hole deck. Is it fiddly?
    Last edited by hithere; 20-05-17 at 02:36 AM.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    in front of my computer in the hills east melbourne
    look for the "Derringer V3 Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer" its a velocity style deck 2 post 4 hole. never liked 3 hole decks its a pain in the ass to get 2 wires through 1 hole especially if there claptons then you have to stuff around to offset the coils. don't know why companies still produce that style deck.

sorry about the fuzzy pic need to get a proper camera
    by the way are you going the V2 smpl its a little bit taller but the magnet button makes it well worth it the spring buttons are very "crunchy"
    Last edited by PATDACAT; 20-05-17 at 03:19 AM.

AVF Regular
    Thanks patdacat. I will check out the v3 derringer and v2 smpl.