Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tank suggestions for a new vaper

AVF Regular

Tank suggestions for a new vaper

I have a prospecting friend that smokes 35-40 a day. He is not local to me as he is in Ballarat and wants to kick the smokes. He is a DL smoker so tank must suit. But I didn't really want to give him the typical sub ohm tank on offer these days as I'm concerned it could be too much. I was thinking about something similiar to an Aspire Atlantis, but with top fill. Coil wise anything around 0.5, kanthal, and super easy. This guy has purchased stuff before but struggles to get his head around things at times.

Having not purchased a tank in quite some time can I get some suggestions?

I had an Atlantis which I loaned out to someone else who used it for a while and gave up trying. Well I think her reasons were false anyway, needed surgery, told not to smoke, Cams can help me with a vape. After surgery I'll smoke again.

PS, don't want to spend too much.
    Cat likes this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    I'm still using the subtank minis, and now the toptank mini. Single coil, nothing too over the top, and can swing back and forth between DL and MTL as suits. I run them wide open which would be consided a fairly restricted DL vape these days I guess. I have always used the RBA section, but there's coils for both MTL and DL. I just find them bullet proof. Should be able to pick them up for $20 or so. I found it too easy to nic myself at 12mg/ml so I backed it off to 8mg/ml.

If he really wants simple though, maybe the SubVod Mega?
    Last edited by fabricator4; 23-05-17 at 12:37 AM.
    muscovyduckling likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    He put up a picture a while ago of one he had, from memory it was a Kanger mod, which probably leans to a subtank on top, though I don't recall the tank. Might have been the Subox starter kit. Maybe he has what he needs but needs help with using it and juice and perhaps a new battery.

thanks Fab.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cams View Post
    He put up a picture a while ago of one he had, from memory it was a Kanger mod, which probably leans to a subtank on top, though I don't recall the tank. Might have been the Subox starter kit. Maybe he has what he needs but needs help with using it and juice and perhaps a new battery.

thanks Fab.
    Yeah I have to agree, he may already have most of what he needs. If he tends to get frustrated and goes back to the smokes he might just need some help. You know how these things are - until you understand it, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Likely problems -

leaking from the air ports in hot weather (or while prospecting, cause even in winter that can be like "hot weather" LOL). When Kanger changed over to the round coil heads they had some leaking problems because they made the juice holes bigger. I believe they fixed this batch problem ages ago. Thicker juice might get around the problem if it's still an issue.

Rookies also don't understand that how hard you suck can affect both liquid flow and how hot the coil gets. See if you can see what he's doing - he might just need to open the airflow up a bit, or increase the nicotine so he's not dragging hard on the thing trying to get a 'hit' (try 12mg/ml for full-open air flow DL). I've seen them do it - a smoker sucks harder to fire up the cig and get a bigger hit - that doesn't work with a tank - they need to increase nic and/or power and air. Nicotine salts may give a more cigarette-like hit as well, as per the recent thread on it.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Yeah I have to agree, he may already have most of what he needs. If he tends to get frustrated and goes back to the smokes he might just need some help. You know how these things are - until you understand it, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Likely problems -

leaking from the air ports in hot weather (or while prospecting, cause even in winter that can be like "hot weather" LOL). When Kanger changed over to the round coil heads they had some leaking problems because they made the juice holes bigger. I believe they fixed this batch problem ages ago. Thicker juice might get around the problem if it's still an issue.

Rookies also don't understand that how hard you suck can affect both liquid flow and how hot the coil gets. See if you can see what he's doing - he might just need to open the airflow up a bit, or increase the nicotine so he's not dragging hard on the thing trying to get a 'hit' (try 12mg/ml for full-open air flow DL). I've seen them do it - a smoker sucks harder to fire up the cig and get a bigger hit - that doesn't work with a tank - they need to increase nic and/or power and air. Nicotine salts may give a more cigarette-like hit as well, as per the recent thread on it.
    I went through our chats from an earlier time and one comment he made was running out of battery to quick. As it's single batt that can easily happen, I know it did for me, lucky to get half a day.

Gradually putting a list together, new coils, extra batteries, charger, battery case or 2 and of course juice.

I think he is getting frustrated with what he has and needs to understand it better, new different gear may not be the answer at this time, more confusion. I see a trip to Ballarat soon. Was hoping to get away for a weekend soon, been too long.
    fabricator4 likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Sounds like an ideal candidate for the ROFVAPE Witcher tank.
    It has 0.5 ohm coils, holds 5ml of juice, top filling & top airflow, this means it doesnt leak & won't even while prospecting in the heat, the AFC allows for a wide range of vape styles too. Replacement coils are reasonably priced & easy to replace even if the tank is half full.
    I reviewed the Witcher tank & the Witcher mod, which came as a kit, here in the reviews section but you can buy each separately also. Other than the Pockex, it's actually my favorite replaceable coil head tank.
    Cams and muscovyduckling like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Sounds similar to the stare pure Freemax ,top fill , top airflow u just can't go wrong , kanger are sitting gathering dust now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    What about a cleito with the .4ss coils. I get some condensation on my airflow but have never had a leak. The other that has never leaked on me is the original crown with the. 5 coils. Although i have read about others having problems with the crown leaking.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Sounds like an ideal candidate for the ROFVAPE Witcher tank.
    It has 0.5 ohm coils, holds 5ml of juice, top filling & top airflow, this means it doesnt leak & won't even while prospecting in the heat, the AFC allows for a wide range of vape styles too. Replacement coils are reasonably priced & easy to replace even if the tank is half full.
    I reviewed the Witcher tank & the Witcher mod, which came as a kit, here in the reviews section but you can buy each separately also. Other than the Pockex, it's actually my favorite replaceable coil head tank.
    Hey Noe, I have witcher pipe and love the tank, did you buy yours in aus, I can't find anyone who sells it.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Hey Noe, I have witcher pipe and love the tank, did you buy yours in aus, I can't find anyone who sells it.
    No it came from Elegomall.com, where it is the cheapest price that I have seen it for but there's no free shipping(shipping is $11US express), however if you are ordering some other items, the shipping cost is spread between them making it cheaper than FT with free shipping.
    Tank:
    https://www.elegomall.com/rofvape-witcher-tank.html
    Replacement coils:
    https://www.elegomall.com/rofvape-wi...ment-coil.html 0.5ohm Kanthal

Compare with FT:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...hm-clearomizer tank
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...nt-coil-head-5 0.5ohm Kanthal
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...nt-coil-head-5 0.3 ohm SS
    MrGruffy likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast