Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Nickel or titanium?

AVF Regular

Nickel or titanium?

So... I'm hitting up the eVic VT 60W with the pre-installed 0.2ohm nickel coil. Unsafe? Should I be switching it out for the 0.4ohm titanium coil?
    So far, I'm getting nothing but good flavour and good clouds... 40w @ 480℉ (pity it doesn't display ℃...)

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Try both. Use what suits YOU.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    staceman101 likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    I'm enjoying the nickel right now... but a mate said it releases toxins. Can't find a straight answer, really, despite a couple of hours research. Just wondered if someone else can put my mind at ease...

AVF Regular
    Nickel is not recommended any longer generally over concerns of releasing unwanted particles if vaped at high temps, but for one off/irregular use i wouldnt panic

It was the earliest temp control wire, and MUST be used in temp control mode

The order of wire preference now is:

Stainless Steel - mostly 316L - usable in both vw and tc mode
    Titanium - MUST be used in tc mode
    Nickel - MUST be used in tc mode

I still have a roll of Nickel here, nostalgia probably keeps me from throwing it out. Its the hardest to work with wire though...one false move and the coil will collapse because its so soft

The Evic should be able to display C...if you go past F, either up or down, it should round robin to C
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 01-06-17 at 07:04 PM.
    staceman101 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Nice! Now it's in Celsius. Cheers.

So... I should probably swap it out to the titanium coil?

stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    Nice! Now it's in Celsius. Cheers.

So... I should probably swap it out to the titanium coil?

No worries, good to hear you got into C mode, i find its much easier to relate to than F...when i first started tc vaping every post about tc was on foreign forums and i had my mods set to F to make it easier to follow, then i switched to C and stopped following overseas forum posts because i got tired of doing conversions

As for the nickel, like i said, a one off or irregular use isnt something to panic about, but long term i would not use it

See the coil out, just dont go ordering boxes of replacement nickel coils or nickel wire for diy building

Stainless steel is so commonplace now in prebuilt coils and for diy, its MUCH more safe, stable, easier to work with and cleaner tasting and as earlier, works in both vw and tc modes...versatile

I went from Nickel directly to Stainless, bypassed Ti...could never get a roll that wasnt oxidised and needed heaps of cleaning before building
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 01-06-17 at 07:12 PM.
    staceman101 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    No worries, good to hear you got into C mode, i find its much easier to relate to than F...when i first started tc vaping every post about tc was on foreign forums and i had my mods set to F to make it easier to follow, then i switched to C and stopped following overseas forum posts because i got tired of doing conversions

As for the nickel, like i said, a one off or irregular use isnt something to panic about, but long term i would not use it
    Swapping it out now. Chain vaping on this beast like a mofo!

Temperature recommendations for 0.4ohm titanium? Wattage?

AVF Regular
    TC mods stop at 600F for a reason

just stay below that

SS will temp control in wattage mode, as it heats, the resistance rises and cools down

i don't use temp control at all
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    Swapping it out now. Chain vaping on this beast like a mofo!

Temperature recommendations for 0.4ohm titanium? Wattage?

Lol, wattage and temp recommendations, im not your guy, i vape SS at 175c (most of the year) and 185c (winter), which makes me on the low temp side of tc, and have the watts (which works as a ceiling or limit on most tc mods) set at 60. I got a 220w Smok H-Priv this week, and i use exactly 18w of that during a vape on tc mode

i.e. i have mine set at 60w, the mod doesnt necessarily fire initially at 60w, it will fire and use enough watts (up to 60watts) to hit your set temp, and then adjust down to use only enough watts to maintain your set temp). For me this means the initial wattage may be near 35/40w, but it drops to about 18w once the temp is reached.

From memory (and again i never used it, but i seem to remember opinions) you'll likely find slightly higher temps than youre using for Nickel work better with Ti

Most mod makers will tell you to set the watts ceiling above 50w at least to start, and adjust up if your set temp doesnt get hit or maintained at that watts setting. Theres really only one issue with setting it much higher than 50/60 to give yourself more headroom, if for whatever reason your mod drops out of temp control mode, it will revert to watts mode and you will get what i call dragons breath - a mouthful of vapour at what ever the full watts setting is. This doesnt happen so much these days with the better software/firmware in todays mods.

I havent used vw in well over 1.5 years, because of the difference from vw mode

vw mode - the mod will keep firing at whatever watts you set and temperature will keep building - possible downsides: prematurely burn out coils/burnt juice taste

tc mode - mod will only fire enough watts to reach and maintain the set temp - possible improvements: longer coil life/harder to burn out coil/burnt juice

For me and tc was love at first sight back in 2015, but some people hate it. Each to his own, try both vw and tc mode (of course not with Ni or Ti wires ), see what you like
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 01-06-17 at 07:39 PM.
    DogMan and staceman101 like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    I actually put my kanger onto it in wattage mode while I researched the tank and coils.
    Online suggestions seem to imply that 500℉ (bloody yanks) is the highest you should take titanium...
    185℃, @ 50w, produced very little. 250℃ seems about right for me. Nice vape.

DogMan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast