Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Need a new atty, stuck in the past - NFI what to get!

AVF Regular

Need a new atty, stuck in the past - NFI what to get!

So I dropped my VA Kraken/mech combo (again) yesterday & broke my last proper glass for it, I've got a dodgy thin ill fitting POS glass on there now so I can still use it, but it ain't gonna last.
    I can't buy replacements any more - at least not easily. I had considered buying another second hand Kraken, but if I can't get replacement glass it's kinda pointless, I already got one that I can't get glass for.
    I think it's time the Kraken became a home only atty & got replaced by something that I can get parts for for work.

But what?
    I've been vaping mesh wicked gennies exclusively for a good couple of years, to me the clean, dense vapour was always a superior vape to any cotton wicked atty.
    But I don't dig the 'regular' gennie atties - only dual wick hard hitters with loosish airflow.
    I don't vape mouth to lung, but I'm not a tootle puffer either, kinda part way between.

I'd rather a rebuildable, it would annoy the crap out of me to have to keep stock of replacement coils & deal with hit & miss quality control - at least if I get a crap vape on a rebuildable there is only 1 person to blame!

I vape about 8-10ml a day of 8mg juice, gennie is pretty energy efficient so 2x LG brown 18650's generally last me all day & night.
    I usually vape with dual 26g coils at .35-.4 ohm combined (about .7-.8ohm per coil).

So the requirements are:

Compact
    At least 2.5ml capacity (more if it's a bit of a bastard to fill)
    Solid vapour production & a dense vape
    Adjustable airflow
    Rebuildable
    22mm OD
    Durable!!
    Able to be run off a single 18650 mech mod with reasonable life

Budget of up to $150 for a quality piece that I can rely on & not need to think about for another couple of years - I'm well over shinyitis & only really interested in a good consistant vape.

What's gonna work for me?

AVF Regular
    There's not a lot around that still use mesh, but hopefully someone pops in with some options for you. I think some people have tried mesh with RDTA style tanks but it usually means putting a bend in your mesh wick.

If cotton annoys you, you might try Rayon and see if it's better.

* does not get the "wet sock" flavour of cotton
    * very short break in time and that might be just contaminants off your fingers (could be avoided to a large extent)
    * lasts longer than cotton, but not as long as mesh. I think it could be to do with the thickness of the fibers.
    * wicks like a champ

Boutique vapeshop varieties can be expensive, but cheap supermarket varieties seem to work just as well.

Rayon would open up a lot more options for you, from a Kayfun 5 through to 6 coil juice chuggers.

Edit to add: my daily is usually Kanger sub/top/tank mini with Rayon wick in the RBA head and about 8 to 10 ml of 8mg/ml per day as well.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 05-06-17 at 11:54 AM.
    gtadmin likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Might be worth grabbing an Avocado 22mm SE to see if you could handle using rayon/hemp etc instead of mesh - only $35 so no great loss if you find mesh is still the only thing for you. Fits all your other criteria.

ETA: genuine spare glass only $6 a pop if you find you like it. Stock up

AVF Regular
    the Kayfun 5 would be absolutely bulletproof glass or steel tank ! and maybe the new Wicked wicking

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    I should say I'm not 100% stuck on mesh, but cotton for some reason gives me a sore throat after vaping with it for a couple of days.
    I have a subtank, I use it as a backup when I have a CBF'd moment with a stubborn build on the Kraken, it's only just barely ok & gives me a sore throat by the end of the day.

Maybe rayon will be different?

I'll have a look at that avocado.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    Maybe rayon will be different?
    Definitely worth a go. It's always a possible option for people who don't like cotton for a variety of reasons.

If it works it would also simplify your standard build a lot. Try the subtank at about 0.5 ohms (26g stainless steel, 7 wraps) and rayon wick. I run it at about 22 watts and the cloud is plenty thick enough for me. I don't seem to enjoy hot vapour so much.

AVF Regular
    I'd love to get my hands on some of that Graham CelluCotton Rayon, that i think XX uses?, for less than the price of everything i own in postage from the US

If you like mesh, yet hate cotton, the bonkers new Taifun BT is out then, its the most cotton ive ever seen wedged into an atty...

I just want one for the tiny lunchbox it comes in
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    I'd love to get my hands on some of that Graham CelluCotton Rayon, that i think XX uses?, for less than the price of everything i own in postage from the US

If you like mesh, yet hate cotton, the bonkers new Taifun BT is out then, its the most cotton ive ever seen wedged into an atty...
    Yeah, takes about 3ml just to prime it.

I just want one for the tiny lunchbox it comes in
    Well Crispin will need something to take his lunch to school in.

AVF Regular
    TonyK I know you are looking for a new atomiser but have you had a look at spectrum glass for a kracken glass tube

Do you have the dimensions. I have a lot of spare tank glass and could see if any fit.

Even the z-atty glass might fit.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 05-06-17 at 02:04 PM.
    Fatman, btobw, TonyK and 3 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    I just did a quick look up on the Kracken glass and it appears to be w20 h20

The FT database search pulls up 8 glass tubes that fall into those specs but I don' know the thickness of the original. a couple to keep you amused

Fatman, TonyK and Snidely_Whiplash like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast