Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Mech Mod Maintenance?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Mech Mod Maintenance?

Hey all!

After 7 months of building coils on regulated devices, I finally caved and bought a mech.

My first tube mod (tsunami mech kit) showed up in the mailbox this morning.

Just wanted to know if I can use my new kit strait out of the box?
    I've given the atty a good clean out, I'm just not sure how to prep the mod for first time use. Is there some kind of first time maintenance needed for new tube mechs? (contact polish, switch lube, etc...)

Also, I'll be down at Bunnings tomorrow, if anybody could suggest a list of these things I'll need to buy to keep my new tube running nicely, that would be tops.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

AVF Regular
    do you have a local jaycar?

deoxit is good. I bought the twin pack of red [cleaner] and gold [preserver] for contacts

conductive grease is cheaper, but messy. Also sold at jaycar

i keep a take away container filled with isopropyl alcohol [ebay] and dissassemble mods and bath them when maintenance is required, treat with deoxit afterwards

a metal polish if you want it pretty, and grey scotchbrite pads, but not necessary unless you plan on a modelling career
    btobw, merexy and Kieran like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Contact grease just seems to increase the resistance through the switch.
    I just keep mine clean & dry.

Once a week or so I pull the button apart & give it a good clean with a baby wipe, go over all the threads in the mod etc.
    Every so often I'll pull it down & chuck it in the ultrasonic cleaner with detergent & a dash of white vinegar. Probably not a great idea to use the vinegar if you have plated contacts, mine are just plain brass & the vinegar gets off oxidation real good.

With a new mod check the button is not crunchy/sticky - can give you heart palpitations if a button sticks on due to burrs or whatever in it.

If it's a bit sticky/crunchy take it apart & go over sharp edges etc with some 1200 grit wet & dry, then back together & push it a bunch of times with no battery to make sure it's good.
    Crisscross, btobw, merexy and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Pretty much as above. For a tube mech, it's important to keep all the threads clean. I use isopropyl alcohol for general cleaning of contacts and threads. For a more thorough job, I pull it apart and give it a scrub with a toothbrush and warm soapy water, followed by rinsing and leaving it to dry. If copper/brass contacts get too dirty, I soak them in tomato sauce for a few hours. Water with a dash of vinegar does the same thing and would be a lot less messy, but old habits die hard

If the threads and switch are already clean and smooth, you can use it out of the box.

There's an old thread on maintaining mechs here which you might find useful: Cleaning and maintaining your mod for dummies
    Crisscross, DogMan, merexy and 2 others like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post

deoxit is good. I bought the twin pack of red [cleaner] and gold [preserver] for contacts

i keep a take away container filled with isopropyl alcohol [ebay] and dissassemble mods and bath them when maintenance is required, treat with deoxit afterwards

a metal polish if you want it pretty, and grey scotchbrite pads, but not necessary unless you plan on a modelling career
    i have deoxit but i dont really like it. it is not powerful enough to clean black contact. i find it good for maintanance if you do it on regular basis instead of waiting until your contact get black. plus the price ain't cheap.

many suggested these- Mothers Mag & Aluminium Polish - 141g
    but, when i go to supercheap the guy there suggested California Custom Purple Metal Polish 355ml Alloy Chrome Stainless. and it works a charm for me. to clean even green stuff on brass.

if you want the basic stuff, use ketchup. soak it a bit and scrub.

coming back to the original question, no you dont have to do anything unless the contact and pin looks dirty then yes you need to clean before use.
    DogMan and Kieran like this.

AVF Regular

Dogman, do I do it wrong, i never seem to use the gold Deoxit, how is this set suppose to be use? i research on website but go nothing
    DogMan likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanIvan View Post
    Dogman, do I do it wrong, i never seem to use the gold Deoxit, how is this set suppose to be use? i research on website but go nothing
    you are right, it works best if you do it frequently

clean as usual, dry, apply red, let it sit an hour, apply gold
    rodbam likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    you are right, it works best if you do it frequently

clean as usual, dry, apply red, let it sit an hour, apply gold
    oh ok, thanks for confirmation.
    DogMan likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've found that Polident tablets brings up the contacts & stainless steel like new. I now soak my drip tips & they come out as new just like my teeth:-)
    btobw, Northerner, Kieran and 1 others like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Well that's all my questions answered!

Thanks for your help everyone, I pulled it apart and gave the threads and contacts a once over with some isopropyl, chucked in a single coil and a fresh battery, now I can sit down with a cold brew and enjoy my new tube!

Cheers all
    btobw, DogMan, rodbam and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast