Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Not sure if hard on gear or just buying crap

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic

Not sure if hard on gear or just buying crap

My drone is holding up to punishment of daily use despite having an issue where the button presses on the screen connector and makes it go blank. Not a huge issue and vendor has responded if I want to get it fixed. Any how, does anyone else have trouble keeping their mods in good condition?

I'm not talking about the shelf-trophies like the VR or Pcan mods that I really shouldn't hold on to.

The Hohm Slice I bought off the forums (which was basically brand new and I'm not pot-shotting at the seller as it was as described) has had two of the four magnets fall out of the battery door. This is not an ADV. Plus the paint is wearing off all over the place. This is a get chip - the Kanthal TC does work once you get it dialled in properly. It just seems like a really cheap production effort.

The same with the Therion BF. I love this mod. I have taken it everywhere and use it daily. Both of the door magnets have fallen out and its now held on by gaffer tape. I could handle the paint being crap. I could handle the battery sled easily breaking. This just makes it look bodgy and cheap (like I guess it really is). I've only had it since March. My Wismec mods have held up better than these two!!

Do other people find their mods don't stand up to every day use?

Should I buy an Inbox or will it be just as bad?
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

AVF Regular
    I mostly baby my mods but my tree box plus has taken a beating. Used it everyday since November last year and most of the paint is gone, the wood body is cracked and chipped, ohm readers gone dodgy and battery door is bent so it wobbles. Been dropped, banged covered in juice 24/7 and still works like the day I got it. My cuboid 150 after using it for a month or 2 crapped itself. Constant weak battery warnings, dodgy screen with dead pixels the list goes on and on even with barely leaving the house with it.
    Guess it's luck of the draw in terms of QC

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

lmb
    AVF Regular
    There was a lot to be said for a stainless steel tube... unbreakable
    gtadmin, Fatman, btobw and 2 others like this.
    RIP VP

AVF Regular
    Queensland Between Brisbane and Gold Coast
    I carry everything in a custom vape back pack

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    muscovyduckling likes this.
    Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we’re proud of. Some will haunt us forever. The message: we are what we chose to be.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce.C View Post
    I mostly baby my mods but my tree box plus has taken a beating. Used it everyday since November last year and most of the paint is gone, the wood body is cracked and chipped, ohm readers gone dodgy and battery door is bent so it wobbles. Been dropped, banged covered in juice 24/7 and still works like the day I got it. My cuboid 150 after using it for a month or 2 crapped itself. Constant weak battery warnings, dodgy screen with dead pixels the list goes on and on even with barely leaving the house with it.
    Guess it's luck of the draw in terms of QC

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I've had a treebox plus since they pretty much hit the market and apart from scoring on the wood body and paint wear on the door from use and abuse, it is faultless.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    Ain't nobody gonna squonk like that....

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    Yes my two SS mech mod clones look as new as when I bought them especially with my glasses off. The only two mass market mods I've bought that still look in top condition are the four Eleaf Pico's although (I lost the click on the fire button on one of them) & the two Aspire Plato's. The Pico's must have the best durable paint jobs out of China.
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    Yes my two SS mech mod clones look as new as when I bought them especially with my glasses off. The only two mass market mods I've bought that still look in top condition are the four Eleaf Pico's although (I lost the click on the fire button on one of them) & the two Aspire Plato's. The Pico's must have the best durable paint jobs out of China.
    I agree - eleaf seem to do good things with the finishes, which is my complaint with Kangers and even Joyetech - they are all eventually going to look like rubbish unless you wear white gloves and never take it out of the house.

As far as the durability is concerned, the Kanger Kbox mini still works perfectly after two years. It's been beaten up, PIFed, returned, beaten up some more.

I think a lot of it is luck really but yes if you are constantly dropping your mod in mud or onto concrete, eventually it will be one drop too many.

It is disappointing to hear of mods that fail for no good reason when they are only a few months old.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I agree - eleaf seem to do good things with the finishes, which is my complaint with Kangers and even Joyetech - they are all eventually going to look like rubbish unless you wear white gloves and never take it out of the house.

As far as the durability is concerned, the Kanger Kbox mini still works perfectly after two years. It's been beaten up, PIFed, returned, beaten up some more.

I think a lot of it is luck really but yes if you are constantly dropping your mod in mud or onto concrete, eventually it will be one drop too many.

It is disappointing to hear of mods that fail for no good reason when they are only a few months old.
    Funny thing is I think I've never dropped the Therion further than from my pocket onto the car floor. It's the Crowley link! Cursed!

AVF Regular
    It's you.

My drone stopped flying out at the field one day, and I couldn't work out why until I noticed it's last crash sliced 2 of the 3 wires to one motor. Fixed it, all works fine again. But I can't fly those stupid things, I need wings.

I've bought 9 batteries/mods, and of those 5 are in regular use and without anything but cosmetic wear and tear. 2 are retired as they're just batteries with a switch. One gets rare use as it's a basic battery, but VW/VV and the other was a eGo that the fire button went bad on.

The most use on the iStick 40, and both end plates are worse for wear. The top one is bent from being dropped with a tank on it, and the bottom has all the plating worn off, but otherwise works as well as it did when I got it, and it was my 'only' mod for over a year. Battery still holds a good charge as well. I want it to die somehow so I can re-body it, but as it still works fine I can't bring myself to gut it.

The others, all mostly 'as new' condition. The Nugget, slick as new. The Pico, same. iPower 80 as new save scuff marks on the base plate. AL85, losing some paint on the adjust button and a few scratches. Nothing serious.

I don't think I'm gentle with them, but I do drive a computer/desk and don't do much dirty work any more, and when I do that I don't toot.

If I was still on the tools, I'm sure I'd be wearing stuff out a lot faster. Used to chew through a wallet a year, and phones every 2 years. They'd just wear out from moving all day and being caked in dust and crap.

Stu.
    fabricator4 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast