Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale)

AVF Regular

Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale)

I thought id start a little thread in the hopes of making people aware of some mods that are currently on sale, but after research are known to have issues.

This isnt to blacklist vendors, this is to make people aware, so they can do further research, and contact vendors selling the gear to make sure, where the mod has been updated that they are going to be shipped the updated/resolved gear. Because theres literally nothing worse than getting stuff shipped all the way here by drop shipping vendors, finding out it has an issue, and then having to ship it back/wait for a replacement/wait for new stock to make it to your vendor to be shipped as a replacement, or being "directed" to the original manufacturer where you can sometimes spend months waiting for them to reply to an email (ive been there, its not fun)

While this isnt to blacklist vendors, and i wont name any, one does have to be naturally cautious/cynical when stuff turns up here via vendor threads and is heavily discounted in flash sales

Some vendors are good and will list mods that have had fixes as "Vx" or "Latest Version" in their listings, and bless them. This is not about them, its about the ones that dont and feel they can easily dump known bad gear in the backwater that is Australia, where they know we're generally less likely to freight stuff back because of the cost.

No vendors will be named, as ultimately the issue lies with the original manufacturer, but vendors have their part to play and hopefully in an above board manner.

Feel free to join in and add your own, or send me a PM and ill research it and add it myself.

But i suggest you have more than one source of information on the issue, and not just from some newbie/disgruntled poster on Reddit

And so, my top tip to anyone, newbies especially is, to always do some research, and not just youtube reviews

Whenever i buy something, ill do days of forum reading etc (and im sure the mods wont kill me for pointing out there are other vaping forums, with larger userbases that can be used for research) on it before i click the button. I'll look for, or even wait for, a reputable reviewers (my fave is DJLSB - probably due to a large extent because he does in depth temperature control tests and i tc vape) review.

As i posted somewhere the other day, i'll wait for a trusted review/research over saving a few dollars...but thats me

I never impulse buy, thats exactly what some vendors count on.

20/06/17: Updated Ijoy Captain PD270 234W details to confirm temp control/510 issues.
    25/06/17: Updated Ijoy Captain PD270 234W details to confirm 510 changed since reviews, but still causing issues with tc and some tanks. Also updated the firmware version
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 14-08-17 at 03:50 AM.
    giruvian, essiemessy, DocM and 3 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

AVF Regular
    September 2017

The following mods are heavily discounted at some vendors (ive seen between 25% and 70% off, and some with free shipping) - do your homework, ask questions

IJOY Captain PD270 234W Box Mod

Issue:
    1) Temp control not reliable (due to 510) - If not a tc vaper, you prolly wont notice

Confirmed TC/510 issues by DJLSB - who is prolly the best reviewer of tc gear especially

https://youtu.be/f0cgwA2p9iA

Resolution:
    None at this time, its v1 hardware/1.4 firmware at time of writing

Edit/Update (25/06/17): Apparently iJoy replaced the press fit 510 that most reviewers got with proper 510's, but they still have issues, most notably minimum 510 depth for contact. Apparently, from tanks mentioned, Aspire tanks will make good contact, Joytech tanks may not....

Edit/Update (14/08/17): Do not buy an Ijoy Captain PD270 234W if you're a temp control vaper, it's really comes down to that now. Ijoy issued yet another firmware update (1.5) and reports are that it not only doesn't fix the tc issues, but in some cases makes them worse. Firmware can't fix a shitty 510..

Limitless Arms Race Box Mod

Issues:
    1) Battery magazine catch - relies on flimsy piece of plastic that breaks easily
    2) Battery contacts - Multiple versions of battery magazine - now at v3 - shiny nickel plated is the latest version
    3) Low battery issues at high wattages - to be fair some of this is due to safety and peoples expectations over safety

Resolution:
    Both 2&3 are addressed here by Limitless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ader10yE6CQ

Wismec Predator Box Mod

Issues:
    1) 510 can pop out- press fitted
    2) Patchy temp control due to 510
    3) Some reports of autofiring

Some of this covered right here on AVF: BEWARE: Joyetech/Wismec Predator 228 - more 510 problems

Resolution:
    No option but to RMA it or seek refund from the vendor you buy one from. No acknowledgement from Wismec anywhere on what if anything they plan to do to resolve the issues

GeekVape Aegis Box Mod

19/09/17:

Aegis owners may want to watch this, apparently Phil has been working with GeekVape to solve some of the issues, notably one that made it "unsafe"

Temp control had issues that made it potentially unsafe...no prompting for old/new coil if you removed and put a hot tank on

And yes, youre going to have to pull the plug out to update it....

More of a heads up. The following is slightly discounted - up to 25% off

LostVapes ePetite DNA60

Issue:
    1) Reports of qc issues and finishes peeling. Most likely due to the switch from Aluminium cases to Zinc Alloy.

Resolution:
    None at this time. Ive owned a LostVapes Efusion DNA200, back when they made their gear from aluminium, and never had an issue.
    Disappointing to hear from a company that used to make their gear very high end. I might even still get one, when vendors discount them even more because theyre sitting around. But hard to justify at the moment, when there are dna75 mods around much much cheaper.

Update/Edit (14/08/17): I bought a silver one, don't expect any finish issues with it, but I wouldn't personally buy a black one. Panels do have a little play in them, if it bothers you (it doesn't annoy me) you can solve it with a little padding with tape
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 19-09-17 at 04:27 PM.
    Noe, giruvian, fabricator4 and 8 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Updated the info in post #2

Enough reports now, and enough firmware updates to say DNB (Do Not Buy) an IJOY Captain PD270 234W Box Mod if you're into temp control. It's a piece of poo...

Also updated the Lostvapes Efusion info, since I have one and have had it a few weeks..
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 14-08-17 at 03:49 AM.
    DocM and gurishka like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Not a peeling finish on my epetite, but I do have a scratch on it.

If it's anything like my Smok AL85, once the paint seal is breached, it'll bubble and fail in pretty rapid order. If that happens, repainting the epetite shouldn't be a big problem as it'll disassemble easily and the bare case should be able to be re-finished in a myriad of ways from simple to exotic with good results.

I'd throw in the Smok AL85 here as mine's only a few months old, kept clean but has no finish on the fire bar or adjustment toggle. The bare zinc alloy seems to be holding up better than the paint did. I think this is a common problem for Smok mods so something to factor in to any decision on one of them.

Stu.
    DocM and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Not a peeling finish on my epetite, but I do have a scratch on it.

If it's anything like my Smok AL85, once the paint seal is breached, it'll bubble and fail in pretty rapid order. If that happens, repainting the epetite shouldn't be a big problem as it'll disassemble easily and the bare case should be able to be re-finished in a myriad of ways from simple to exotic with good results.

I'd throw in the Smok AL85 here as mine's only a few months old, kept clean but has no finish on the fire bar or adjustment toggle. The bare zinc alloy seems to be holding up better than the paint did. I think this is a common problem for Smok mods so something to factor in to any decision on one of them.

Stu.
    Yep, a lot of Smok mods have finish issues. Generally its tricky to get a good paint finish on the common materials used for mods...some vendors do it better than others.

Still a little disappointed LostVape moved from aluminium.
    DocM and gurishka like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Fine post Style. A wealth of common sense and looking after people less informed. Kudos.
    Now with the eloquence and disposition of Porky Pig

Killed the nails before they killed me. 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DocM View Post
    Fine post Style. A wealth of common sense and looking after people less informed. Kudos.
    Hehe only if they see one of my troubling normal posts and click on the link in my sig

I like to think its a positive thing to offset reading my posts
    fabricator4 and DocM like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Machining aluminium and then finishing it may be more expensive or time consuming. Zinc alloy casings tend to be cheaper to cast (from what I've seen). But they do need to be etched primed (or epoxy coat painted and baked hard) for them to hold up to abuse. I'd like to see more manufacturers use cerakoting or good multi layer anodizing for a better finish.. I've suggested it to a few manufacturers...
    DocM and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Yep, a lot of Smok mods have finish issues. Generally its tricky to get a good paint finish on the common materials used for mods...some vendors do it better than others.

Still a little disappointed LostVape moved from aluminium.
    Considering that aluminium is lighter (many think this bad, they like 'heft'), harder to work with (compared to some of the zinc alloys, ally is a female dog to cast, mold and machine) and contrary to what most people think many of the zinc alloys are exceptionally tough and durable. Also highly resistant to corrosion.

I prefer aluminium, but it's the 'idealist' material rather than the 'engineers' material for something like this. While I very much understand why they're using zinc alloy (this isn't pot metal boys and girls), it doesn't mean I necessarily like it.

However, if they've gone to the 'right' material, then it's actually an upgrade, a cost reduction (not cutting) measure and a sensible choice. Ok, it can be problematic to put a pretty finish on, but that should be the only compromise and even that's a solvable problem.

(I've paid 2/5 of 3/8 of SFA for the one I have now and the one on it's way, considering what I'm actually getting for the money. I can't put in a valid complaint.)

Stu.
    fabricator4, DocM and stylemessiah like this.

Super Moderator
    <<<<------- Ultimate Mod with Issues
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast