Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Stacked dual coils?

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    An Undisclosed Hole, VIC
    Posts
    111

    Stacked dual coils?

    Hi there, new all round but slowly getting out of the lurking cycle but by bit. Trying out something on the Pharaoh RTA running dual coils stacked one on top of the other, just looking for a little confirmation that I'm not gonna blow something up...

    Coils are 24g 5 wrap kanthal, reads at 0.25 ohms, sitting on a Predator with LG HE4's in it. Hopefully both coils come through okay on the pic!

    TIA


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,140
    I'm wondering why you don't just use a single 7/8 wrap coil....plenty of surface area, less likelihood of wicking issues, and safer for the batteries....all possible issues, resolved

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  3. #3
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    An Undisclosed Hole, VIC
    Posts
    111
    I'm limited to 24g for now, and as far as I could tell, I couldn't get my ohms that low without it being like one wrap, have I read something wrong? I tested a single out last night, but it sat around .4, singe city too for some reason even down at 30w (my usual is 55-65, wouldn't even try that at .4 )


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!
    staceman101 likes this.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaba95 View Post
    I'm limited to 24g for now, and as far as I could tell, I couldn't get my ohms that low without it being like one wrap, have I read something wrong? I tested a single out last night, but it sat around .4, singe city too for some reason even down at 30w (my usual is 55-65, wouldn't even try that at .4 )


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!
    Well no, i wouldnt try 60w on a single o.4ohm coil either, are you fascinated with the watts side of things...i often wonder why are people focused on big watts over all else. Lol, there wasnt even a mod that did more than 50w when i started 2+ years ago...

    If you have a look at Steam Engine coil wrapping calc and have a play you can see what the difference in heat flux when you go dual vs single coil
    You can also see that you can use a single coil and less watts to get the same heat, and usually vapour production

    For example (not sure what diameter you wrapped, so guessed 2.5mm)

    Dual 5 wraps
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

    Single 7 wraps - if you were doing single 5 wraps and hitting it with 30w+ im not surprised it was not great
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

    As i mentioned earlier, i mention the single option for those reasons - less building work, less chance of wicking issues (you are cramming duals into a single deck - not the first time its been done on a single deck tank, but..)), and less work for the batteries...and longer run time

    As it stands youre safe at 60w on the duals with those batteries in any event
    staceman101 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    An Undisclosed Hole, VIC
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Well no, i wouldnt try 60w on a single o.4ohm coil either, are you fascinated with the watts side of things...i often wonder why are people focused on big watts over all else. Lol, there wasnt even a mod that did more than 50w when i started 2+ years ago...

    If you have a look at Steam Engine coil wrapping calc and have a play you can see what the difference in heat flux when you go dual vs single coil
    You can also see that you can use a single coil and less watts to get the same heat, and usually vapour production

    For example (not sure what diameter you wrapped, so guessed 2.5mm)

    Dual 5 wraps
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

    Single 7 wraps - if you were doing single 5 wraps and hitting it with 30w+ im not surprised it was not great
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

    As i mentioned earlier, i mention the single option for those reasons - less building work, less chance of wicking issues (you are cramming duals into a single deck - not the first time its been done on a single deck tank, but..)), and less work for the batteries...and longer run time

    As it stands youre safe at 60w on the duals with those batteries in any event
    Style, you are a legend! I'd say something I input into that calc last night was out, because that makes total sense now... not so much fascinated with wattage, I think that stems from 'power ratings' on some prebuilt coils, should probably shy myself away from that.

    I'll have to fiddle around with single coils later, because you're right, it's a PITA to wick, damn tasty though one thing I have noted, it seems to... I dunno, afterburn in a way? That common?


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaba95 View Post
    Style, you are a legend! I'd say something I input into that calc last night was out, because that makes total sense now... not so much fascinated with wattage, I think that stems from 'power ratings' on some prebuilt coils, should probably shy myself away from that.

    I'll have to fiddle around with single coils later, because you're right, it's a PITA to wick, damn tasty though one thing I have noted, it seems to... I dunno, afterburn in a way? That common?


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!
    not so much fascinated with wattage
    not so much that im jaded by the number of people who wander in wanting to hit everything at 150w

    yeah if you get into power ratings on prebuilts then i can see how they might tend to stick when you move to diy, doesnt mean you cant do the same level, but have to be aware of the builds you make are capable, and well, battery safety

    the dual may be more tasty than the single, that would be just about right for my luck lol

    the good thing is you were having a crack and checking for safety

    when you say afterburn, do you mean you can hear it still crackling/hissing slightly after you stop firing? if so, you thats normal for a few seconds as the coil cools...

    if you mean flames, then no...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 25-06-17 at 06:32 PM.
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    An Undisclosed Hole, VIC
    Posts
    111
    Haha yeah, that's it, it's just that it's the only tank I've noticed it on also, the prebuilt coils I have been using were mostly quad coil, just purely for the fact that I noticed early on that the singles weren't as tasty and (probably due to the orientation and a combination of other factors) were very prone to gunking up quick, like ludicrously quick

    The only thing wicking wise that I was slightly concerned about was the fact that the juice well is so small and finnicky, and I had to essentially double up the bottom wick (I see that's done a lot on the pharoahs anyway) and tuck the top wick into the fold. It hasn't dry hit yet, so fingers crossed it should stay that way!


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!
    stylemessiah likes this.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaba95 View Post
    Haha yeah, that's it, it's just that it's the only tank I've noticed it on also, the prebuilt coils I have been using were mostly quad coil, just purely for the fact that I noticed early on that the singles weren't as tasty and (probably due to the orientation and a combination of other factors) were very prone to gunking up quick, like ludicrously quick

    The only thing wicking wise that I was slightly concerned about was the fact that the juice well is so small and finnicky, and I had to essentially double up the bottom wick (I see that's done a lot on the pharoahs anyway) and tuck the top wick into the fold. It hasn't dry hit yet, so fingers crossed it should stay that way!


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!
    Yep, you also have to factor in coil placement as well, closer to the airflow in most tanks will give you more flavour (and warmth), higher will give you generally give less flavour and more airflow/less warmth. The bottom of the coil around 2mm off the airflow is where i normally whack mine in any tank. Gunking up is a mix of things, particularly depending on amount of VG and flavourings, and what you fire them at, plus wire material...stainless steel tends to last longer. Before i went off to my current high around 90%VG mix, a 60%VG mix i could get 6 weeks out of my stainless coils, now i tend to change them at the 2 week mark. When i used kanthal id change them at the 2 week mark.

    You also have to factor in i have a bias for single coils I have several dual coil capable tanks and either use the single decks for them or plug one side up on the dual deck where theres a plug available.

    My main focus has always been surface area. Started on kanthal on Lemo tanks, where the standard supplied coil for the single coil deck was 7/8 wraps of 26g kanthal on 3mm inner diameter at around 1.1 ohms, when i switched to stainless i just kept wrapping 7/8 wraps on 3mm id...which comes out at around 0.6ohms. Surface area the same, little warmer, little bit more vapour. I do not miss the early days of temp control with Nickel...you had to wrap to hit a narrowish window of ohms for it to work...getting 13 wraps of very soft Nickel wire into a Lemo deck was always fun. Then about a year ago when i got my current mod that would do temp control down to 0.05, i decided for shits and giggles to get the Nickel out and wrap a Nickel coil again...0.09ohms...the lowest ive ever built. Was it better than my normal stainless steel 0.6ohm build...no. Since i was firing it in tc mode, and it was using only about 28w to get to temp, and then dropped to around half that to maintain temp, it was safe on a single battery.

    Of course if you really want surface area, theres always Clapton coils

    Ive seen Rips build tutorial on his tank and he folds, but everyone else ive seen review it has said they got dry hits doing it his way...i almost bought one, but at the last minute went the other direction and got the GeekVape Griffin AIO, which can share the decks from the Pharaoh...only got it a few days ago in fact.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 25-06-17 at 05:27 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    An Undisclosed Hole, VIC
    Posts
    111
    Haha, nice! The griffin was another tank I was looking towards, next time I shop maybe yeah, the juice that was gunking them was a high VG juice too, but so worth it!

    Hindsight, especially with two wicks going into this thing, I don't really see the benefit to folding it. Actually, I think if the juice I was using was any thicker, I'd probably be having dramas having done it that way.

    0.09 is nuts, it'd be worth a try but probably not something I'd stick with, essentially as long as I'm getting a tasty vape that keeps me off the cigs and isn't boiling my tonsils I'm a happy man

    Also, I'll definitely be trying stainless because the few experiences with TC that I've had (0.5 SS dotmod coils in the tobeco tanks) have been good, and I'd love to try it with wire!


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    5,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaba95 View Post
    Haha, nice! The griffin was another tank I was looking towards, next time I shop maybe yeah, the juice that was gunking them was a high VG juice too, but so worth it!

    Hindsight, especially with two wicks going into this thing, I don't really see the benefit to folding it. Actually, I think if the juice I was using was any thicker, I'd probably be having dramas having done it that way.

    0.09 is nuts, it'd be worth a try but probably not something I'd stick with, essentially as long as I'm getting a tasty vape that keeps me off the cigs and isn't boiling my tonsils I'm a happy man

    Also, I'll definitely be trying stainless because the few experiences with TC that I've had (0.5 SS dotmod coils in the tobeco tanks) have been good, and I'd love to try it with wire!


    Sent from my iPotato using some form o'magic!
    Yeah the 0.09 coil i tooted for like maybe a dozen toots and then, having done it, banished it to history and went back to my normal 0.6 ss

    Without covering old ground right up front and making your head explode, if you do try tc and get stuck, post and someone will help. If you try initially around 0.5 (as you have already experienced with the prebuilts) with 316L SS you shouldnt have any issues and of course you can always flick it over to normal vw mode and use it. With SS in tc, its up to your mods ability to accurately work with low TCR 316L wire as to whether lower than 0.5 will work reliably for you. Oh, and spaced coils for tc.

    For what its worth i have a mini review up on the new Griffin AIO here:

    GeekVape Griffin AIO (All In One) Mini Review

    Usually when i have a new tank, i play with it and because im so rooted in my love of Lemo 2's, having used them the longest am used to the vape from them, i tend to swap out from whatever tank im using to get that old familiar sameness back the same night and swap the new tank in and out. But i havent taken the AIO off my mod since i got it, even despite it not givign me the same dense vape i get form the Lemo 2's. Assume any review i do is going to be a single coil one
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 25-06-17 at 10:37 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

    Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

    Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

    Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 08:32 PM.