Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: About to use mech mod first time. Is my resistance within safe range

AVF Regular

About to use mech mod first time. Is my resistance within safe range

Hi folks. I'm about to use a mech mod for the first time. I received some advice a while back but didn't get started till now.
    I have a SMPL V3 clone mod.
    Battery: INRI Samsung 5 18650 25R SDI 2H34
    2400mah capacity/20A continuous discharge

my coils come to .29ohms

My calculations:
    I= VR
    12.41current = 3.6 .29

P=VxI
    44.67watts= 3.6 x 12.41

R=VI
    .29resistance= 3.6 12.41

If I'm understanding right, my current (12.41) is within safe range as the battery is 20A discharge. Is this right?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hithere View Post
    Hi folks. I'm about to use a mech mod for the first time. I received some advice a while back but didn't get started till now.
    I have a SMPL V3 clone mod.
    Battery: INRI Samsung 5 18650 25R SDI 2H34
    2400mah capacity/20A continuous discharge

my coils come to .29ohms

My calculations:
    I= VR
    12.41current = 3.6 .29

P=VxI
    44.67watts= 3.6 x 12.41

R=VI
    .29resistance= 3.6 12.41

If I'm understanding right, my current (12.41) is within safe range as the battery is 20A discharge. Is this right?
    I would recommend that you use battery nominal voltage of 3.7 volts, others will tell you to use 4.2V, or 4.0V etc. You should at least look at what the current will be on a fully charged battery, but I can't tell you what the real battery sag will be.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I would recommend that you use battery nominal voltage of 3.7 volts, others will tell you to use 4.2V, or 4.0V etc. You should at least look at what the current will be on a fully charged battery, but I can't tell you what the real battery sag will be.
    Hi Fab. Thanks for the advice. I bought this battery locally but had a look on Fasttech for its specs and it said 3.6volts. So I factored that in to my calculations. How do I work out what the current is on a fully charged battery? I've got a very primitive basic battery charger that isn't digital. so all i know is that the battery is charged when the light goes green. Anyway, I dialled in 4.2 volts on the Steam Engine calculator and the current was 14.48.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Your coil should work fine, just be sure to check the positive pin on your atty is protruding enough to make it past the threads on your SMPL and make contact with your battery.

AVF Regular
    Hi Fab. Thanks for the advice. I bought this battery locally but had a look on Fasttech for its specs and it said 3.6volts. So I factored that in to my calculations. How do I work out what the current is on a fully charged battery? I've got a very primitive basic battery charger that isn't digital. so all i know is that the battery is charged when the light goes green. Anyway, I dialled in 4.2 volts on the Steam Engine calculator and the current was 14.48.
    The current depends on the voltage across the atomiser while it is firing. To know what this is, you need a voltmeter. I'd say assume it drops to 4.0 or 3.9 volts very quickly and use that for your calculations.

I *have* seen 3.6 volts given as the battery nominal voltage, but they are often ICR chemistry batteries. Which battery did you buy?

ETA: it's usually better to try to find the manufacturers spec sheets for the cells you use. It's normally a lot more revealing than information given by vape shops and other retailers. If it's not a Sony, LG, Panasonic cell it can be a bit hard to find.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 09-07-17 at 11:37 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Your coil should work fine, just be sure to check the positive pin on your atty is protruding enough to make it past the threads on your SMPL and make contact with your battery.
    Thanks Keiran. The Derringer V3 doesn't protrude a whole lot but I know someone on the forum uses it on their SMPL mod (which has a hybrid connection) and I asked someone at the vape store and he thought it should be ok
    Kieran likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    The current depends on the voltage across the atomiser while it is firing. To know what this is, you need a voltmeter. I'd say assume it drops to 4.0 or 3.9 volts very quickly and use that for your calculations.

I *have* seen 3.6 volts given as the battery nominal voltage, but they are often ICR chemistry batteries. Which battery did you buy?

ETA: it's usually better to try to find the manufacturers spec sheets for the cells you use. It's normally a lot more revealing than information given by vape shops and other retailers. If it's not a Sony, LG, Panasonic cell it can be a bit hard to find.
    Thanks again Fab. Always something new to learn when you vape. I may need to look into a voltmeter. I haven't yet researched about batterys except for making sure they're in perfect condition when used on unregulated mods. My battery is an INRI Samsung 5 18650 25R SDI 2H34 - which was recommended at vape shop. I'll take your advice and look at Samsung's website if I can find it online.

AVF Regular
    Thanks again Fab. Always something new to learn when you vape. I may need to look into a voltmeter. I haven't yet researched about batterys except for making sure they're in perfect condition when used on unregulated mods. My battery is an INRI Samsung 5 18650 25R SDI 2H34 - which was recommended at vape shop. I'll take your advice and look at Samsung's website if I can find it online.
    No need. That datasheet is everywhere:
    http://dalincom.ru/datasheet/SAMSUNG%20INR18650-25R.pdf

It is indeed 3.6 volts nominal. I've been usine 25Rs for going on 2 years and I forgot that. I always use 3.7 volts for my calculations. I'll see if there's any data for voltage sag.

AVF Regular
    Yep, Mooch has done constant current testing on the 25Rs.

Looks like you can use 3.9 volts as the battery very quickly sags to that at 15 amps. Gotta love Mooch.

It's a safe chemistry battery, should be INR chemistry since that is how it's designated on the spec sheet (INR18650-25R)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 10-07-17 at 04:17 PM.

AVF Regular
    Q:Is my resistance within safe range

I've established my mech vaping guide as
    1. initial reference: Battery drain | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
    2. dont build lower than 0.20
    3. 25A battery or higher (i have vtc5a exclusive to mechs only)
    4. dont chain vape, stop when mod gets warm

i've violated 2. a few times using 0.15 dual coils but I kept to the 4. rule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast