Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By nosedog

Thread: Industrial Furnace Leak Check with vape stick

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Industrial Furnace Leak Check with vape stick

Ok Vapeheads here's one for you

I want to make a handheld smoke wand to leak check an industrial furnace operating under a slight negative pressure. The furnace casing is old, poorly sealed and leaks a significant quantity of tramp air. Tramp air cools down the furnace and causes a massive gas bill.

I've got an idea that I could get a vape stick, attach it to a handheld air bulb (like the ones doctors use on the blood pressure cuffs) and a 500mm tube to get the smoke up where I need it around the casing. I'm after good smoke volume and the ability to puff about 15 times per minute. I know there are other handheld smoke generators available but there is a no-smoking ban on our site and frankly I like the subversive nature of this idea. My vaping experience is zero. So here's my questions:

1) will this idea work
    2) any recommendations on what hardware to use
    3) what juice should I use for best smoke volume - VG? I don't want anything with nicotine in it since I don't want to get addicted to furnace leak checking.

Cheers
    nosedog

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nosedog View Post

1) will this idea work
    Yes it should. It depends what volume of fog you need really.

2) any recommendations on what hardware to use
    If you want something with premade coils, probably something like the TFV8 big baby beast, around 60 to 70 watts I think

3) what juice should I use for best smoke volume - VG? I don't want anything with nicotine in it since I don't want to get addicted to furnace leak checking.
    I'd recommend 70% VG, 20% PG, and 10% water. It will produce a much denser cloud if you have some water in the liquid already. Commercial fog machine liquid is basically VG and water.

If you are pretty handy I'd actually recommend building something more along the lines of a small portable fog machine.
    * high velocity fan - about 50-100+ litres/min
    *large tank reservoir
    *large dedicated coil
    *large power supply - a couple of hundred watts - 24 volts, or fan voltage, or mains power.

There is nothing really special about fog machines, except getting the air velocity and the coil right.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks mate good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    If you are pretty handy ...
    I am pretty handy, but I'm also bone idle lazy
    Fatman, fabricator4 and Schtoo like this.