Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Would you use this?

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Pilbara
    Posts
    336

    Would you use this?

    To all the battery experts out there, is this battery still safe to use?
    It took a medium fall the other day.

    Obviously I'll rewrap it.

    No biggie if it's U/S.
    I still have it's partner for use in single cell mods if it's unsafe

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    No, don't use it.

    If the can gets pushed in on the ends, it can short across the roll inside - touch the ends of the plates. Discharge it to zero safely, then hand it over for recycling.

    ETA: I don't think there's any immanent danger, but there's no point taking any extra risks. If that were a safety belt, that's about like an abused one with the webbing rubbed 1/3 of the way through - it might work properly, then again it might not...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 31-07-17 at 03:31 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  3. #3
    emu
    emu is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,024
    Lucky it didn't go off already helixx, I'd dig a deep hole and bury it.

  4. #4
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Pilbara
    Posts
    336
    Just as I suspected. Just wanted a second opinion before I disposed of it.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 likes this.

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Pilbara
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    No, don't use it.

    If the can gets pushed in on the ends, it can short across the roll inside - touch the ends of the plates. Discharge it to zero safely, then hand it over for recycling.

    ETA: I don't think there's any immanent danger, but there's no point taking any extra risks. If that were a safety belt, that's about like an abused one with the webbing rubbed 1/3 of the way through - it might work properly, then again it might not...
    What is the best way to discharge it?
    Not sure how much charge it has in it as since it got the ding I haven't touched it ( other than to remove the wrap).

    I'll put the other cell in the charger and see what's in it.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by helixx View Post
    What is the best way to discharge it?
    Not sure how much charge it has in it as since it got the ding I haven't touched it ( other than to remove the wrap).

    I'll put the other cell in the charger and see what's in it.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I would attach a 37 ohm resistor and leave it outside in a safe (non-flammable) area for a few days. Given the difficulty of this and the advisability not to mess around with it, drop it in a bucket of very salty water for a week. Failing THAT take it to where you can recycle it and show them the problem - then it becomes a SEP.

    Lithium batteries are OK in water (pure metallic lithium is NOT) and water is the recommended fire control method.

    ETA: The reason for recommending discharging it is that reducing the electrical potential also reduces the chemical potential for something vigorous happening. It's also why you shouldn't really put lithium ion batteries in the garbage, because the waste really isn't that toxic with these. Having your rubbish bin on fire (or the compacting garbage truck) is not a good look though.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 31-07-17 at 04:00 PM.
    stylemessiah and emu like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  7. #7
    emu
    emu is offline
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,024

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Pilbara
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I would attach a 37 ohm resistor and leave it outside in a safe (non-flammable) area for a few days. Given the difficulty of this and the advisability not to mess around with it, drop it in a bucket of very salty water for a week. Failing THAT take it to where you can recycle it and show them the problem - then it becomes a SEP.

    Lithium batteries are OK in water (pure metallic lithium is NOT) and water is the recommended fire control method.

    ETA: The reason for recommending discharging it is that reducing the electrical potential also reduces the chemical potential for something vigorous happening. It's also why you shouldn't really put lithium ion batteries in the garbage, because the waste really isn't that toxic with these. Having your rubbish bin on fire (or the compacting garbage truck) is not a good look though.
    So a bonfire is out of the question?
    JK.
    I'll hit up our local tip and ask them.
    Gotta do a rubbish run in t's next few days anyways

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Jemor likes this.

  9. #9
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    290
    Nahhhh!! I wouldn't use it. But then... I don't use those batteries.
    emu likes this.

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,901
    being at a loss as to what to do with 18650 batteries.. I wandered into Officeworks, who recycle old lappies and phones, and asked, ever so nicely, if they would take them, and the lovely young man, all bright eyed and bushy tailed, agreed too... and since them I have also delivered him with the dyson cordless vac battery, a wahl cordless beard trimmer, and he frowns and then says, yes certainly My theory is that they at least know how to store them, safely before recycling with planet ark... or maybe he is just way too polite !


    Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 12:58 PM.