Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Coils...?!?

AVF Regular

Coils...?!?

Question... how do people get those really big arse coils on a build and they're still sub ohm?

I find that a 3mm coil, six twists, sets me at around 0.4 - 0.5ohm, depending on deck and wicking. But I see massive builds clocking in at 0.1 and similar online.

Is it the wire? I'm rolling with 26AWG A1 kanthal. To get 0.1 with that, I'd need a single twist and nothing more

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Bigger thicker wire=lower resistance

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Bigger thicker wire=lower resistance

Is that why twisted gives lower resistance? I ran the calculation in vape tool and realised if I twist my wire I can do beefier coils. That = better flavour and vape production?

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    gurishka likes this.

AVF Regular
    Well twisted wire is basically double your wire compared to a simple round wire coil so it should roughly halve the resistance. Bigger more exotic coils need more power and go through more juice but generally yes running big builds on big chamber rdas is the way to go for flavor and vapor

staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    More wire also lowers resistance and different metals will make a change too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gurishka and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    Something like stainless steel or nichrome wire will ramp up quicker and cool faster too , so if you want to run big coils this is the way i would go Because you will need less power than kanthal. they also suit unregulated vaping better if thats your thing

steve.c and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    It's all depending on what you want to vape at and how you build.

The big arse coils you'll see me running have many wraps or multiple layers of different materials that change the resistance dramatically. For instance a triple core 26g with a wrap of 36g over the top (fused clapton) has four parts to it. This lowers the resistance down quite a bit and so to be on the safe side people put a wrap or more on.. so maybe 6 wraps.

This also means you need to push a bit of wattage in the coil to get it to ramp up and vape at potentially the same perceived heat as a simple dual parallel coil build (but that, you'll find, will ramp up faster and probably not need as much wattage to do so). Horses for courses.
    staceman101 and Gandalf like this.

AVF Regular
    Il send you some stainless fused claptons to stick in your petri/skywalker and it will probably knock your socks off compared to simple round wire builds lmao

trumpy955 and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    You also have to remember that the wider the surface area, the more contact it has with the cotton and its ability to wick up eliquid into the coil too. Alien fused claptons for every day use seem to have a better wick up into the coil and potentially a faster wicking speed than standard fused, simply due to the potential channel openings on the coil. I'll have to get building over the next few days and send out a few coils for people to try.

Also depending on what you're using the coils in will change the way you look at an RTA or RDA and how you wick it and what you put into it. Something like a NarDA or a small RDA you don't need to go crazy on.. a micro clapton coil or even simple 28g, 6-8 wrap coil will give you amazing flavour. The deck and chamber height change a lot of parameters when building.
    trumpy955 and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    Dont forget u can also space the coils to improve wicking through the coil which allows you to take a longer hit without possibly burning your wick, its also useful if you want to build a longer coil without raising the resistance too much

gurishka and staceman101 like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast