Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: First build and wick thanks.

AVF Regular
    Single coil? In a tank? Sorry if I've chimed in late.
    Wicking a tank right can be tricky and frustrating. Also it can be specific to that tank. What works in one may not work in another.
    I've wicked tanks perfectly the first time then taken a few more times to replicate.
    Different juice (pg/vg) different ambient temps all come into it.

Sounds like your having fun anyways.
    And the vape from your own coil and wick is oddly satisfying

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    DocM, emu and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    Wismec inde duo rda capable of a dual coil build but just did a single horizontal. The figures on Steam engine freaked me out for the dual. 104W needed. 28g twisted Kanthal aiming at .6 ohms. Achieved it no probs with the single @ 27W.
    emu likes this.
    Now with the eloquence and disposition of Porky Pig

Killed the nails before they killed me. 10/02/15 Thanks immensely to AVFers!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Good work DocM. Just so happens I too built my first successful coil last night. After a few stuff ups with various wires managed to build a 24g ss with 3mm id that came out at around 0.2 ohms. 4 wraps I believe. I tried to do a parralel but failed miserably. Anyway, very satisfying, awhole new world of possibilities. Just need to figure out the best & easiest build for my Hadaly
    DocM and emu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dylbj View Post
    Good work DocM. Just so happens I too built my first successful coil last night. After a few stuff ups with various wires managed to build a 24g ss with 3mm id that came out at around 0.2 ohms. 4 wraps I believe. I tried to do a parralel but failed miserably. Anyway, very satisfying, awhole new world of possibilities. Just need to figure out the best & easiest build for my Hadaly
    Can you show us this build? Do you run it in VW mode or TC mode?
    DocM and emu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Can you show us this build? Do you run it in VW mode or TC mode?
    FluffySheep, not much to show or look at. Just a basic single ss wire build, using a coilmaster jig, 4 wraps but counter clockwise as I found that easier to fit the leads on the serpent mini.
    DocM and FluffySheep like this.

And I run it in VW mode, 40w, found it TC it was burning my wick but not certain why.
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dylbj View Post
    And I run it in VW mode, 40w, found it TC it was burning my wick but not certain why.
    If it's burning your wick, check your TCR or preheat settings. Make sure TCR is on SS316L and preheat is not too far from 40W. Oh and lock the resistance when it's at room temperature.

That's only if you haven't already done it. Can't think of any other reason.
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    Preheat check always worth a crack if the mod does it...

Dont forget with the low TCR value of 316L some find a difference in accuracy and performance by building at/near/above 0.5 ohms...0.5+ ohms gives the mod more to work with to do its adjustments than very low resistance values. Plenty of people can run low 316L ss coils, but thats also dependent ont he mod and its firmware. If youre suffering with 316L ss in tc mode, 1) check your TCR setting (generally try in the accepted range 0.00092/092 to 0.00105/105 (depending on your mods TCR format)) and if no change 2) try building a 0.5 ohm coil and try again

Cant count the number of times ive come across temp control sucks threads, where people are using 316L SS at 0.3 and lower, particularly on ECF, where ive simply said try building a 0.5 coil...done

316L ss has a low tcr value (measureable change in resistance as the wire heats up), so if you give it more wire/higher ohms stands to reason it should work more reliably. Dont know why people havent learned especially on ECF to build to the wires properties/build for its quirks.

If you check your TCR, and also build a 0.5+ ohm coil and its still playing up, then its something else...
    DocM and _just_get_it_done_ like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

Thanks all for the tips. I'm generally content using VW so it hasn't bothered me. I will certainly follow stylemessiah's recs if my desire changes
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Preheat check always worth a crack if the mod does it...

Dont forget with the low TCR value of 316L some find a difference in accuracy and performance by building at/near/above 0.5 ohms...0.5+ ohms gives the mod more to work with to do its adjustments than very low resistance values. Plenty of people can run low 316L ss coils, but thats also dependent ont he mod and its firmware. If youre suffering with 316L ss in tc mode, 1) check your TCR setting (generally try in the accepted range 0.00092/092 to 0.00105/105 (depending on your mods TCR format)) and if no change 2) try building a 0.5 ohm coil and try again

Cant count the number of times ive come across temp control sucks threads, where people are using 316L SS at 0.3 and lower, particularly on ECF, where ive simply said try building a 0.5 coil...done

316L ss has a low tcr value (measureable change in resistance as the wire heats up), so if you give it more wire/higher ohms stands to reason it should work more reliably. Dont know why people havent learned especially on ECF to build to the wires properties/build for its quirks.

If you check your TCR, and also build a 0.5+ ohm coil and its still playing up, then its something else...
    Thanks for a more detailed response... Again!
    DocM likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast