Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: UD SS 316L Coil?

AVF Regular
    Ive read about kanthal being the only type of wire that is safe to dry burn , another heads up. Might go back to kanthal for this reason alone, sure i cant use tc and stay under that 450-70f safe limit but almost certain i am never vaping anywhere near that heat

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    emu and FluffySheep like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Glad to hear that. Can you share what build you did? Dual coil? Resistance? and the wattage that you run?

I plan to try it in power mode too.
    Sorry was at work when I posted. Like the others 26 gauge seems to work best for me. Im running Dual coils at around .5 ohms on a limitless plus RDTA. Only been building simple coils so far nothing special as I am aiming at getting consistency (the only thing "special" I have done is build spaced coils). I generally run any where between 40 to 65 watts, depending on day/time/mood, I like an aggresive hit so I have found out so ymmv.
    2/12/2016

emu
    AVF Regular
    Same for me 26 SS 316L I use the Geek Vape stuff which is great in my opinion, nothing fancy but I always space it. Haven't done unspaced since I stopped using the Kfun ages ago.
    Deadonarrival and FluffySheep like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for such a very informative reply.

I plan to use the old VW mode for now as I can't be bothered (at the moment) with learning how TC works. I'm a DTL person too so I might get the 24ga (as the 26ga is not available anymore unfortunately).
    Currently using a Charon with the Troll V2 22mm RDA. Still waiting for my OBS engine RTA to arrive. These are all noob friendly gear as I am just new to building, learning as I go! I want to try the "cleaner" taste people are saying they get from SS builds but not sure what specific build to make.
    I agree with most of what has been said so far.

I'd still recommend 26g to have in your toolbox, even if it means you have to go with a different (brand) wire. I'm using MKWS wire which is available from Fasttech for AU$3.30 for 30 feet including free snail mail postage. ($2 extra per shipment will get you Australian expedited which takes 7-10 days)

The MKWS is bang on the 092 TCR pretty well and is consistent, and should be available in all gauges. I'd recommend you get 28/26/24 gauges. I don't bother with 10 foot spools, the cost saving isn't worth it, although I am yet to use up *any* 30 foot spool I've ever bought. I still have some of the 32g Kanthal I bought four years ago.

28g for MTL coils of 1 ohm or more. Also works well for twisted wire builds instead of the 26g
    26g for single coil RDAs and RTAs running at 18 watts up to 35 watts on a regulated mod or a mech (2.5mm coil)
    24g for larger RDAs and larger builds generally - 3mm coils and larger

Eventually you may need different wires for different builds - very thin wires (32,34g etc) for making claptons and other wires. I'd recommend you don't worry too much about that yet. Get your vape sorted first, then worry about the coil experimentation if you are so inclined.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 12-09-17 at 11:08 PM.
    chris_vaper and FluffySheep like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadonarrival View Post
    Sorry was at work when I posted. Like the others 26 gauge seems to work best for me. Im running Dual coils at around .5 ohms on a limitless plus RDTA. Only been building simple coils so far nothing special as I am aiming at getting consistency (the only thing "special" I have done is build spaced coils). I generally run any where between 40 to 65 watts, depending on day/time/mood, I like an aggresive hit so I have found out so ymmv.
    How many wraps per coil? Been wanting to do a similar build to this!

Quote Originally Posted by emu
    Same for me 26 SS 316L I use the Geek Vape stuff which is great in my opinion, nothing fancy but I always space it. Haven't done unspaced since I stopped using the Kfun ages ago
    Is this the simple round wire? I found some SS geek vape fused Clapton wires too, which seems great.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4
    I agree with most of what has been said so far.

I'd still recommend 26g to have in your toolbox, even if it means you have to go with a different (brand) wire. I'm using MKWS wire which is available from Fasttech for AU$3.30 for 30 feet including free snail mail postage. ($2 extra per shipment will get you Australian expedited which takes 7-10 days)

The MKWS is bang on the 092 TCR pretty well and is consistent, and should be available in all gauges. I'd recommend you get 28/26/24 gauges. I don't bother with 10 foot spools, the cost saving isn't worth it, although I am yet to use up *any* 30 foot spool I've ever bought. I still have some of the 32g Kanthal I bought four years ago.

28g for MTL coils of 1 ohm or more. Also works well for twisted wire builds instead of the 26g
    26g for single coil RDAs and RTAs running at 18 watts up to 35 watts on a regulated mod or a mech (2.5mm coil)
    24g for larger RDAs and larger builds generally - 3mm coils and larger

Eventually you may need different wires for different builds - very thin wires (32,34g etc) for making claptons and other wires. I'd recommend you don't worry too much about that yet. Get your vape sorted first, then worry about the coil experimentation if you are so inclined.
    Might try MKWS if I'm not happy with the UD one. I purchased the 24ga for now

You think it's okay to build 24g 7-8 wraps dual coil 3.5mm on an OBS engine? Resulting to 0.2ohms, vaped at 70W
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I'm just worried I'd burn my wick because I've read people saying you cannot chain vape with SS coils? (On VW mode)
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular

You think it's okay to build 24g 7-8 wraps dual coil 3.5mm on an OBS engine? Resulting to 0.2ohms, vaped at 70W

I'm just worried I'd burn my wick because I've read people saying you cannot chain vape with SS coils? (On VW mode)
    I use 3 mm 26 gauge ss in my (4) OBS nanos at 0.3 ohms and never have wicking problems. You dont need 3.5mm its probably a bit large. The only reason you would burn your wicks is if they are stuffed to hard into the juice ports blocking the flow to the coils

Quote Originally Posted by captive View Post
    I use 3 mm 26 gauge ss in my (4) OBS nanos at 0.3 ohms and never have wicking problems. You dont need 3.5mm its probably a bit large. The only reason you would burn your wicks is if they are stuffed to hard into the juice ports blocking the flow to the coils
    VW or TC mode?

This seem better? 3 mm 24 gauge dual coils 6 wraps each 0.15ohms - 53W
    http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.htm...15&awg=24&id=3
    Last edited by FluffySheep; 13-09-17 at 10:07 AM.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Sure is FS, I do love using Clapton, Tiger, Alien clapton, Flat twisted, Quad, Hive and Mix twisted coils depending on my mood but lately I've been using the Geek vape Juggernauts in Stainless for really pronounced flavor.

Is this the simple round wire? I found some SS geek vape fused Clapton wires too, which seems great.
    FluffySheep likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Sure is FS, I do love using Clapton, Tiger, Alien clapton, Flat twisted, Quad, Hive and Mix twisted coils depending on my mood but lately I've been using the Geek vape Juggernauts in Stainless for really pronounced flavor.
    I love how that coil looks!!
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    VW or TC mode?

This seem better? 3 mm 24 gauge dual coils 6 wraps each 0.15ohms - 53W
    wattage mode, I very rarely use temp control unless its on a DNA based mod

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast