Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: UD SS 316L Coil?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

UD SS 316L Coil?

Anyone bought/used this wire for their build? 24ga? 28ga?

https://www.gearbest.com/accessories/pp_246499.html?

It's dirt cheap and it's tempting to get some! I have 0 experience with SS so this might be a good chance to try it.

Opinions?

AVF Regular
    I use it at the moment. Seems decent to me though I havent ventured in to tc much. I bought it because it was cheap and I am still learning to build, so it didnt matter if I waste it
    emu and FluffySheep like this.
    2/12/2016

Glad to hear that. Can you share what build you did? Dual coil? Resistance? and the wattage that you run?

I plan to try it in power mode too.
    emu likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Anyone bought/used this wire for their build? 24ga? 28ga?

https://www.gearbest.com/accessories/pp_246499.html?

It's dirt cheap and it's tempting to get some! I have 0 experience with SS so this might be a good chance to try it.

Opinions?
    Depends if you plan to use it in VW (Wattage/Power) mode or Temp Control mode as to how id respond and how boring id get

But basically, if you plan to use it in temp control...

I havent used it, i can only tell you, from a temp control point of view, which is where im at, that *some* people find its a little off in TCR/TFR (DNA devices) than most other 316L SS theyve tried.
    The accepted TCR for 316L is 0.00092/092 (on different mods TCR settings), but ive seen people mention needing up to 0.00108/108 with the UD wire. Not a huge discrepancy considering ive seen worse in other SS wires which had a much larger TCR discrepancy, different manufacturers may use a different alloy recipe which skews the accepted TCR values. I sent back all the 430 SS wire ive bought because it was way off, and even the manufacturer was issuing guesses...i dont vape guesses when it comes to wire material.

In short it should work fine in temp control mode, but theres a chance you *may* need to fiddle with the TCR

Ive no idea where my 316L ss wire was made, wherever The Steamery got theirs from eons ago when i bought it, but its always worked at the accepted TCR for 316L and been accurate....

I actually have DNA curve files for UD wires, though as ive said, ive never used them or the wire, i just collected the curves files in case i ever came across it.

If you plan to use plain old VW/Power mode, then its not going to matter one iota.

As for gauges, i would advise grabbing 2 different ones, to try out, and which gauges would depend on what tanks youre using and what vaping style you like MTL or DTL. Some MTL folks sometimes need 28g to get enough wraps to get a higher resistance coil in some small build decks on some tanks/RDA's, if youre a DTL person as i am, i would say 26g is prolly to me the most versatile gauge. My standard coil is around 7 wraps of 26g on 3mm for around 0.6 ohms on all my tanks. I tried from 22 to 28 and eventually settle don 26g a long time ago. But as with everything to do with vaping it can be highly personal. If you tell us what tanks etc you have and what your vaping style is, we can prolly offer more accurate info
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12-09-17 at 04:07 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    I find 26ga the easiest to work with 28ga is a bit harder being a thinner wire
    Deadonarrival likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Depends if you plan to use it in VW (Wattage/Power) mode or Temp Control mode as to how id respond and how boring id get

But basically, if you plan to use it in temp control...

I havent used it, i can only tell you, from a temp control point of view, which is where im at, that *some* people find its a little off in TCR/TFR (DNA devices) than most other 316L SS theyve tried.
    The accepted TCR for 316L is 0.00092/092 (on different mods TCR settings), but ive seen people mention needing up to 0.00108/108 with the UD wire. Not a huge discrepancy considering ive seen worse in other SS wires which had a much larger TCR discrepancy, different manufacturers may use a different alloy recipe which skews the accepted TCR values. I sent back all the 430 SS wire ive bought because it was way off, and even the manufacturer was issuing guesses...i dont vape guesses when it comes to wire material.

In short it should work fine in temp control mode, but theres a chance you *may* need to fiddle with the TCR

Ive no idea where my 316L ss wire was made, wherever The Steamery got theirs from eons ago when i bought it, but its always worked at the accepted TCR for 316L and been accurate....

I actually have DNA curve files for UD wires, though as ive said, ive never used them or the wire, i just collected the curves files in case i ever came across it.

If you plan to use plain old VW/Power mode, then its not going to matter one iota.

As for gauges, i would advise grabbing 2 different ones, to try out, and which gauges would depend on what tanks youre using and what vaping style you like MTL or DTL. Some MTL folks sometimes need 28g to get enough wraps to get a higher resistance coil in some small build decks on some tanks/RDA's, if youre a DTL person as i am, i would say 26g is prolly to me the most versatile gauge. My standard coil is around 7 wraps of 26g on 3mm for around 0.6 ohms on all my tanks. I tried from 22 to 28 and eventually settle don 26g a long time ago. But as with everything to do with vaping it can be highly personal. If you tell us what tanks etc you have and what your vaping style is, we can prolly offer more accurate info
    Thanks for such a very informative reply.

I plan to use the old VW mode for now as I can't be bothered (at the moment) with learning how TC works. I'm a DTL person too so I might get the 24ga (as the 26ga is not available anymore unfortunately).
    Currently using a Charon with the Troll V2 22mm RDA. Still waiting for my OBS engine RTA to arrive. These are all noob friendly gear as I am just new to building, learning as I go! I want to try the "cleaner" taste people are saying they get from SS builds but not sure what specific build to make.
    Deadonarrival likes this.

AVF Regular
    24ga is thicker than 26ga meaning less wraps
    FluffySheep likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Thanks for such a very informative reply.

I plan to use the old VW mode for now as I can't be bothered (at the moment) with learning how TC works. I'm a DTL person too so I might get the 24ga (as the 26ga is not available anymore unfortunately).
    Currently using a Charon with the Troll V2 22mm RDA. Still waiting for my OBS engine RTA to arrive. These are all noob friendly gear as I am just new to building, learning as I go! I want to try the "cleaner" taste people are saying they get from SS builds but not sure what specific build to make.
    As usual i probably overshared, but well, thats just me

Probably easiest when starting out to stick with vw mode until you get all your ducks in a row.

Bummer about the 26, but 24 should work fine, it definitely going to be more forgiving and easier to work with than 28

I havent come across the Charon in my travels with regards to temp control yay or nay, but i notice it has both a 316L profile AND the ability to change TCR manually...seems like these days most new tc capable mods are coming with adjustable TCR finally...was a time you had to shop around to find one like 6 months ago even. Edit: Apparently the Charon runs a little hot or over-temp in tc tests...if you ever go that way, you may want to dial the temp back a bit.

Nothing wrong with your choice in tanks/gear. I even contemplated the OBS RTA msyelf, but of course, as so often happens, went another way

Having used Kanthal/Nickel (and skipping Titanium) and having used ss for forever now, its to me the cleanest tasting wire...especially as i vape unflavoured juice.]

As for where to start when building coils, i always say a simple single strand single coil is the way to go....get comfortable building these, get some consistency in your building...you can get funky down the track, or not. Ive been using simple single strand single coils since day one....over 2 years ago, and ive tried claptons etc and theyre not for me..personal tastes as always.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12-09-17 at 04:42 PM.
    Deadonarrival and FluffySheep like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    As usual i probably overshared, but well, thats just me

Probably easiest when starting out to stick with vw mode until you get all your ducks in a row.

Bummer about the 26, but 24 should work fine, it definitely going to be more forgiving and easier to work with than 28

I havent come across the Charon in my travels with regards to temp control yay or nay, but i notice it has both a 316L profile AND the ability to change TCR manually...seems like these days most new tc capable mods are coming with adjustable TCR finally...was a time you had to shop around to find one like 6 months ago even.

Nothing wrong with your choice in tanks/gear. I even contemplated the OBS RTA msyelf, but of course, as so often happens, went another way

Having used Kanthal/Nickel (and skipping Titanium) and having used ss for forever now, its to me the cleanest tasting wire...especially as i vape unflavoured juice.]

As for where to start when building coils, i always say a simple single strand single coil is the way to go....get comfortable building these, get some consistency in your building...you can get funky down the track, or not. Ive been using simple single strand single coils since day one....over 2 years ago, and ive tried claptons etc and theyre not for me..personal tastes as always.
    Brilliant advice. Thanks!! Can't wait to try it out myself

AVF Regular
    I should point out that ss wire is the only common wire that can be used in both vw/power mode and temp control mode. Never run Titanium/Nickel in power mode..conversely dont try kanthal in tc mode . We've seen at least one poor newbie fire a nickel coil in power mode at 80w (i think, or higher), press the button and wonder where his coil went...answer: into a molten blob while also releasing toxic fumes...

Just a heads up

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast