Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Time to Squonk?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Time to Squonk?

Itís time to try squonking.

Iíve had a few attempts at using drippers and I could see the attraction in terms of producing a substantial nicotine hit and clouds. But on the whole (mainly because I always thought drippers were for cloud-chasers), this wasnít my style of vaping and I could never see why anyone would want to be continually feeding an atomiser when a tank would do the job for you.

But the idea that a dripper can produce a better vape never left me and, Iíve come to realise that:

ē Drippers donít always involve double coil, low ohms, high wattage and clouds
    ē Squonking mods arenít always mechanical
    ē Some drippers are designed for MTL or, at least arenít always full of air
    ē Squonking mods arenít always high end, high cost
    ē A squonking mod with the right atty could be an interesting way to get the best of both worlds

Iíve spent quite a bit of time ploughing through web sites and reviews to see if I can achieve this at a reasonable cost and found that it isnít particularly easy.

Very few Aussie vendors cater to squonkers. They donít have many squonking mods or RDAs with a BF pin and although I guess they can be sourced separately, this is another hurdle. This has pushed me towards the Chinese vendors (and the long wait) but I have a feeling that that Iím not alone and that more and more experienced vapers currently using tanks will be looking at this before too much longer.

What I ended up with is ordering a Hcigar VT Inbox from Gearbest (flash sale for AUD 78) and a couple of clone RDAs with BF pin from 3FVape Ė a Shenray Hadaly and a Coppervape NarDa (for a combined AUD 30).

I did seriously contemplate the Pico Squeeze and the Kangertech Dripbox 2 as a way to get into squonking Ďon the cheapí to try it out, but both of these seem to have some large flaws which makes me think I would have regretted it before long, and I think the same dollars have been better spent jumping in at a mid-level. The Pico is a small, mechanical mod (albeit with some protection for shorts) but without the ability to change wattage and the Kangertech, whilst regulated, seems to have a couple of issues with the cover for the bottle and with reading the battery charge. Neither of these seemed worth spending half of the cost of the Hcigar and then having to still upgrade before long anyway. The Therion squonker, which I really like the look of, was rejected because I still struggle to remove batteries from the Therion 167 without damaging the wraps and this looks no different.

Although concerned about a couple of things about the Hcigar, such as the loose panels (especially on the bottle side) and the fact that the DNA 75 chip isnít one of my favourites, at least this did offer a very good chip and excellent design features otherwise. I still use an old Hcigar VT 40 which was an extremely well made, well designed box mod and, in power mode, a good chip. The Hcigar Inbox seems as if it will perform well for some time before I might want to enter the plus $200 squonking mods (slippery slope?).

I was after a single coil atty and preferably one on which that I could restrict the airflow. My coils will be between 0.8-1.2 Ohms and I expect to vape these at about 16-20 watts in a restricted MTL style which still produces a good throat hit. Most RDAs arenít designed for this but Iím hoping that these are. I would have liked a combination of bottom and side airflow but I can see how this is extremely difficult to achieve with a BF atty, especially with a single coil so these are my best bet at the moment Ė besides, the cheap cost of these makes trying them out painless. I will consider buying authentic (well, not the NarDa because I doubt I would find one) if the design proves to be suitable as I have with other clones.

Even though I am now committed to these purchases (I thought you guys would be bored by the old ďIím thinking of squonking, what do you recommend?Ē), I would appreciate some feedback from experienced squonkers on:

ē Any tips on using this equipment
    ē How I achieve the best method to avoid over-squonking
    ē Whether there are better RDAs to look at for my preferred vaping style
    ē Any fundamental squonking tips for a newbie

I thought that this thread might be useful to others considering making the move to squonking by providing a few pointers, so any advice would be appreciated. It's also the reason why I haven't posted this in the 'All Things that Squonk' thread.
    "We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us."
    W.H. Thompson

AVF Regular
    • How I achieve the best method to avoid over-squonking
    You very quickly learn that it's different based off each RDA. Eg i squonk differently with my Hadaly, to my NaRDA, and with my Haku. It's trial and error, and best to squonk a few times with the cap off, see how much juice you can squonk without the juice reaching the airflow.
    • Whether there are better RDAs to look at for my preferred vaping style
    Haku is my go to, next best is the Pulse 22. Both don't oversquonk easily.
    • Any fundamental squonking tips for a newbie
    Learn how much you can squonk with each of your RDAs. Trust me each is different. I only use mechs, so I build low in order to get a satisfying vape. I will eventually get a DNA squonker but so far there aren't any that appeal to me.
    SteelDriver likes this.
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon
    • Pulse 22
    • Narda
    • Flave 24
    • HAKU!!!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks nikolous, points about when to squonk taken on board and I'll have a look at the Haku (which I think is an Aussie design IIRC)
    "We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us."
    W.H. Thompson

AVF Regular
    Im squonking the VV Pulse 24 on a Kanger dripbox until I get around to building my own squonker, I cant recall (as Im at work) how airy it is but its pretty open,
    THe kangerbox Ive had no issues with it and the mag door under the bottle Ive never had issues with either,
    Ive also used the Velocity V1 clone and Hadaly Clones, you can adjust air on the velocity right down too from memory,
    I change how I vape every two weeks (ridiculous I know) and often come back to the squonker, I have MTLs DLs RDAs RDTAs even a Smok Skyhook mod I should list what I have one day so I can advise better,
    Hope that helps?
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    WTG Woopi !... personally I enjoy the VT Inbox... perhaps I more than enjoy them after CrissCross did her magic and made beautiful panels see HCigar VT Inbox - Panels the last pages still have pic links that show

I bought a Hadaly SXK clone, and liked it so much I bought the original - and yes I have complained that I get distracted and over squonk and it oozes.. and I still do and it still does ! - some say the Hadaly is not a MTL atty.. all I can say is that my Fav RTA is the Siren .. and either the Siren or the Hadaly have led me to enjoying a flavourful moist and just a bit more airy MTL style -

The Origen 16 - was a tasty lovely atty but the screws drove me nuts - well more so

The Pulse for me was over squonk proofed but lacked flavour and had way way too much air

The Mulciber is a tiny tasty litlle RDA - that Dogman sagely recommended - its good.

but see its really trial and error.... and yep I find trying the clones first help in deciding if you want the real deal -

and if you hate it - well I could always take that VT Inbox off your hands
    giruvian and DogMan like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    I got the YFTK haku, and a V2 O-atty last week. They haven't left my inbox's since, and my inbox's have not left my hand.

Both are exceptional, and very difficult to over squonk (something that plagues the hadaly).
    O-atty draw is virtually identical to the hadaly, with the haku slightly looser.
    I am a left hander, so my natural grasp on the inbox, and my squonking technique mean the loose panel issue that some get has never been a problem. I think, sort of like learning an instrument, you will find a way that works, that will become natural and comfortable, with muscle memory, and you will never think about it again.
    Regarding the pico squeeze, get one. No squonker worth their salt should be without one of these simple gems in their arsenal. Simple, sturdy, stealthy, functional. I never travel without one.

tapatalk for photo upload 👍
    tapatalk for general usage 👎
    giruvian, DogMan, rodbam and 2 others like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    I got the YFTK haku, and a V2 O-atty last week. They haven't left my inbox's since, and my inbox's have not left my hand.

Both are exceptional, and very difficult to over squonk (something that plagues the hadaly).
    O-atty draw is virtually identical to the hadaly, with the haku slightly looser.
    I am a left hander, so my natural grasp on the inbox, and my squonking technique mean the loose panel issue that some get has never been a problem. I think, sort of like learning an instrument, you will find a way that works, that will become natural and comfortable, with muscle memory, and you will never think about it again.
    Regarding the pico squeeze, get one. No squonker worth their salt should be without one of these simple gems in their arsenal. Simple, sturdy, stealthy, functional. I never travel without one.

tapatalk for photo upload ��
    tapatalk for general usage ��
    Rocky it seems the fire button on the left VT is upside down. Did you rotate it or did it come like that?
    iamtezr likes this.
    Regards
    Rod

AVF Regular
    thank god peeps s reminded me ... yep +1 for V2 O-atty tasty no over squonk- - but surprising better still, for me, so far is

The Le Concorde - yummy flavor, better ie soft airflow than the mulciber... no spitting... and I am still playing with the coil placement - but the flavour is good on a 1.0ohm coil simple SS warp in temp control YFTK Le Concorde Style BF RDA Silver 316SS 22mm Rebuildable Atomizer

oh and Mallee has one I sent him that was too tight airflow for me - and whose name escapes me ... that he really likes.. see individual differences

and well spotted Rod... but moose climbs and has diff which way is up perspective
    rodbam, iamtezr and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    1ynne, that would be the Speed Revolution, air hole is high on the side, so no over-squonk or leaks. Had to drill the air hole out to 1.4mm and its great, I bought 4 more.
    giruvian, DogMan, 1ynne and 1 others like this.
    Im going to create a disturbance in your mind.............Billy Thorpe

AVF Regular
    wtg mr mallee, sir ! see how nice you can be lol !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast