• 1 Post By Fatman
  • 4 Post By mallee00
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By Katz-in-Boots
  • 1 Post By Sully

Thread: Hardware Advice Sought by Vaping Dinosaur

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Hardware Advice Sought by Vaping Dinosaur

I’ve been vaping for going on 7 years now, and found my vaping ‘nirvana’ around 5 years ago. Sadly I can no longer afford to buy my beloved Vapor4Life KR808D threaded equipment & juices from the US and need to find cheaper alternatives locally. I’m looking for recommendations to replace my current set up & hopefully give me the same satisfaction.

Currently I use the 900 mAh, full time 5v Vapor Zeus dual mode ‘fat’ batteries. These can be switched between manual & auto modes (I only use manual mode if I have a gurgly or dodgy cartomizers), I prefer auto mode because it gives me the stiff draw I like, most like smoking. The juice goes into their ‘Smileomizer” which is a 3.5ml, single coil, 2.5ohm cartomizer with polyfil. (V4L juices are PG75% to suit these devices I might be wrong, but when switching hardware, I suspect I might need to change the PG:VG ratio? I note most premix juice in Oz is 50:50 or higher VG.)

Once the Zeus & Smileomizer came out, I was so happy, didn’t want to try anything else, but before that I did experiment with tanks on Ego variable voltage batteries, as well as a Provari and a Provari Mini and a couple of other devices. The reasons I didn’t get on with these are important when considering what I should get next.

Firstly, I have hand/arm/neck problems so anything large or heavy is out (Provari was no go, even the mini). Box mods won’t work for me for this reason. I need something relatively slim & light that can rest in my hand or hang from a lanyard when I’m not puffing while driving. I really prefer auto batteries but they don’t seem to exist here.

The second issue is my vaping style. For me vaping is all about the draw & throat hit. Not sure if my style is DTL or MTL, perhaps it’s somewhere between the two. I am not into clouds of vapour or the latest gadgets.

And I suck – hard! When I smoked I would drag hard and often, particularly when stressed. I like a stiff draw and need to ‘work’ for my vapour. I tried a few different clearomizers, kept burning them within a couple of hours. With tanks, the dual coil tank cart polyfil would become drowned very quickly, so it felt like I was almost inhaling the juice rather than vaping it. Because I puff frequently during a vape session, I also need something that doesn’t take ages before the wick is ready for another hit.

Thirdly, I am not into DIY stuff. I’m struggling enough trying to come up with juice recipes that I like. I am not going to get into rebuilding atomizers, winding my own coils etc. Things called dripping & squonking don’t sound like my thing at all. I want something I can screw onto a battery, refill when empty, and quickly & easily replace bits that get worn out/icky.

So with all that in mind, I would really welcome suggestions from the experienced vapers out there on a new battery & tank/clearo combination that might work for me.
    TRUTH - just like Taste - is Subjective

AVF Regular
    If you are using those 808 cartos, it will definitely be a mouth to lung vape.

You might be better off with something like the Innokin T20 which will be a little shorter and fatter than you are used to. It's 2cm diamter, but I don't know what the weight is - it might be best to contact the vendor and ask but I think it's going to come in under 100gm

Another good option is the Aspire Pockex. It's also just under 2cm diameter and weighs just 86 grams.

The only thing you have to do with these is replace the coils every week or two (depends on how much you vape, and what you vape). $1 coils instead of $7 carts should save you a bit, and they should last about the same amount of juice usage, maybe more.

The nicotine delivery with these is likely to be more efficient than what you are using at the moment, so you may have to adjust your nicotine. I think you'll be fine though.

If you are stuck or are interested in trying it I have some unused Evod kits here. I can send you a kit if you like. They are also very old tech (four years lol) but a lot of people stopped smoking using them or something like it. It's probably a little closer to what you are using at the moment in some ways. I bought them to PIF to smokers but I've still got a couple left.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 24-10-17 at 05:26 PM.
    gtadmin, Katz-in-Boots and steve.c like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Super Moderator
    Hey Katz !
    Welcome back

If you want automatic firing it might be worth looking at the eleaf icare?
    Automatic ... not expensive... very compact ...tiny and light ...you can also get it with a charging station ( PCC) which gives you a couple of recharges out and about... they are still about in some shops in Aus ( which is weird cos they are over 12 months old LOL!!! )
    https://www.victoryvape.com.au/produ...arging-station
    no coils but Vapoureyes has them ( or you can go overseas )
    https://vapoureyes.com.au/products/e...nt=32848318671

Probably other vendors about but they came to mind ( and google )

* no responsibility LOL!!
    Last edited by Fatman; 24-10-17 at 04:28 PM.
    steve.c likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Ego twist and an Evod, simple light and reliable, ive been vaping for 3 years and still happy to use this set-up at times
    Im going to create a disturbance in your mind.............Billy Thorpe

AVF Regular
    Have a look at the Envii Fitt closed pod system. You can buy refillable pods and it can be auto or manual.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, I have some questions about the recommended devices:

Some of the suggested devices have atomizers and coils. Being used to just cartomizers which are all-in-one things, I know nothing about atomizers (except that some people are into rebuilding them). Do both these things need replacing or just the coils?

Innokin Endura T20: says it’s good for a beginner & replicates smoking but it also says it has a ‘smooth and open draw’ which makes me wonder whether it would satisfy my need for a tight draw?

Aspire Pockex: is a sub-ohm device. From what research I’ve done, I thought that sub-ohm were not likely to work for me, that they delivered less hit but lots of vapour? Am I wrong in thinking this?

Eleaf icare: interesting. The tank is internal? So you need one for each flavour? Any comments on the draw?

Evod: Looks to me very much like the Egos. They appeal because they are quite neat & slim and don’t seem to have any fiddly or complicated bits (I’m assuming replacing coils is easy). Any comments on how well the clearomizers might stand up to my heavy vaping habits and tightness of their draw?

EGo Twist: Looks like the ego vv twists I had a few years back. I found that on max voltage they weren’t satisfying me. Perhaps they would do, teamed with a tank that suited my needs.

Which leads me to the subject of tanks. I used the V4L tanks with 1.8ohm dc tank cartos for quite a while and they worked well for me, so I’m not a complete newb to tanks. I wonder whether it is the choice of what goes on top is more important than my choice of battery..

Lately I have read about airflow control tanks, wickless ceramic tank bits and I wonder whether these might give me the tight draw I need without either becoming over-saturated or burned dry. Any thoughts on this?

AVF Regular
    I havent tried the T20 but I think it would be similar to the innokin T18 which would definitely suit what your looking for as mtl

The Aspire Pockex is a bit looser draw but would still suit you as well and may have a bit better flavor.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz-in-Boots View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, I have some questions about the recommended devices:

Some of the suggested devices have atomizers and coils. Being used to just cartomizers which are all-in-one things, I know nothing about atomizers (except that some people are into rebuilding them). Do both these things need replacing or just the coils?
    The coil goes inside the tank, or clearomiser like the Evod. Technically the coil IS the atomiser but the words to tend to get switched around. Probably my mistake for confusing you. Coils, or more correctly "coil heads" will need to be replaced about every one or two weeks, but the cost will be much less than the V4L cartos that you've been using.

Innokin Endura T20: says it’s good for a beginner & replicates smoking but it also says it has a ‘smooth and open draw’ which makes me wonder whether it would satisfy my need for a tight draw?
    I think so yes. The T20 is tighter than the T20 pro. The older T18 is about the same as the T20. The airflow is not adjustable, but most smokers find it acceptable.

Aspire Pockex: is a sub-ohm device. From what research I’ve done, I thought that sub-ohm were not likely to work for me, that they delivered less hit but lots of vapour? Am I wrong in thinking this?
    With these devices the airflow is much more efficient. Coils below 1 ohm are not unusual for MTL devices now. If you try to use higher ohm coils they may not produce much vaper because of the way the battery output voltage and the airflow is set up.

Eleaf icare: interesting. The tank is internal? So you need one for each flavour? Any comments on the draw?
    The draw is adjustable from a fairly loose MTL (five holes) to just one hole which would be pretty tight. The holes are pretty tiny. I have one that I use as my stealth vape, with 24 or 28mg/ml in it. The auto switch works pretty well. I run it fully open.

Evod: Looks to me very much like the Egos. They appeal because they are quite neat & slim and don’t seem to have any fiddly or complicated bits (I’m assuming replacing coils is easy). Any comments on how well the clearomizers might stand up to my heavy vaping habits and tightness of their draw?
    The Evod kits are basically an Ego battery with an Evod clearomiser on top. The draw is very tight. Sucking on them also causes the liquid in the tank to be drawn into the wick. I saw some smokers I gave them to suck on them so hard they used to flood the coil and for them I would drill the holes out to about 1mm on each side.

EGo Twist: Looks like the ego vv twists I had a few years back. I found that on max voltage they weren’t satisfying me. Perhaps they would do, teamed with a tank that suited my needs.
    Yes it's mostly got to with what you put on the top. Being variable voltage rather than fixed voltage they could be made to work with a wider range of coil resistances and cartos/clearomisers.

Which leads me to the subject of tanks. I used the V4L tanks with 1.8ohm dc tank cartos for quite a while and they worked well for me, so I’m not a complete newb to tanks. I wonder whether it is the choice of what goes on top is more important than my choice of battery..
    Quite right, the bit on the top is the most important. The battery part only needs to be able to supply a voltage that suits the atomiser and your vaping style. Since cartos have mostly dropped right out of vaping except for some niche market products, mostly what we mean by "tanks" are modern devices that take a replaceable coil head. The majority of these devices that we are recommending use these types of tanks, however some like the Pockex are all in one devices where the tank is built into the battery.

Lately I have read about airflow control tanks, wickless ceramic tank bits and I wonder whether these might give me the tight draw I need without either becoming over-saturated or burned dry. Any thoughts on this?
    Airflow is nice to have, mainly because they suit more vaping styles. Where you might be inclined to run them closed down fully, I would be running them opened up fully, we are all different. I can vape anything though - by adjusting the nicotine content so it was always a satisfying vape.

At the end of the day I think you are just going to have to try a few things and see what works for you. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised by some of the modern tanks that are around now. At some point you may want to look at a mod with variable wattage which gives you more options, but until then you are probably better off with a kit that is designed to work in a particular way and is therefore a lot simpler.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 27-10-17 at 11:00 AM.
    Katz-in-Boots and DocM like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Wow thanks fabricator4, some specific & useful information there. I am going to take all that in plus try the bits & pieces which are on their way to me from very generous AVFers. A little trial & error is probably necessary now to give me more idea of the questions I need to ask next.

Thanks everyone!
    Fatman and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    +1 for the T20 it got me off cigs originally
    +1 for pockex not as open as t20 i thought - prefer the t20 but its ok in the pen jar at work
    +1 icare (the one in the charger unit) that sits in the car and its tightest draw of all three
    fabricator4 likes this.
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif